First DSG service, 40k service done!

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well I hit the 40k miles a year after purchasing the vehicle and dreaded having to dish out a lot of money for the 40k service, which is mostly "inspections." Luckily the folks over at ECS Tuning put together a 40k service kit, which I purchased for $119, and did most of it myself with exception of the DSG service. I was left speechless at how quick and easy it is to do it and how much the stearlership would have charged to this service; they quoted me $800 plus tax. It took me approximately 30 minutes to do change all the filters (fuel, cabin, air) and oil. Now, unfortunately I don't have the special tool and the VAGCOM to do the DSG service myself so I had to dish out $361, which hurt because I know I would've paid only $130 in parts to do it myself. Now my vehicle is good to go another 40k! Thanks for your time and letting express myself.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Vagcom doesn't seem so expensive now does it? :D

BTW there is a non-vagcom way to do a dsg change, though I don't know of anyone reporting doing it on a Passat yet.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well I hit the 40k miles a year after purchasing the vehicle and dreaded having to dish out a lot of money for the 40k service, which is mostly "inspections." Luckily the folks over at ECS Tuning put together a 40k service kit, which I purchased for $119, and did most of it myself with exception of the DSG service. I was left speechless at how quick and easy it is to do it and how much the stearlership would have charged to this service; they quoted me $800 plus tax. It took me approximately 30 minutes to do change all the filters (fuel, cabin, air) and oil. Now, unfortunately I don't have the special tool and the VAGCOM to do the DSG service myself so I had to dish out $361, which hurt because I know I would've paid only $130 in parts to do it myself. Now my vehicle is good to go another 40k! Thanks for your time and letting express myself.
Was the $361 ECS doing the service, or a dealership? I've seen prices at the dealership reported ranging from $500 - $600 just for the DSG service. So the $800 from the dealership would seem to be in line if they are including the DSG service.

That is why I end up going to Oilhammer and getting mine done. I just had my 80K service done and it was $545 out the door. Even with the fuel and hotel for the 700 mile trip it is cheaper than the dealership, and I get a trusted mechanic as well!:D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have seen posted here from around $250 to $700 for the dealer DSG service. Mine will go to runonbeer when the time comes if I don't do it myself.

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
The dealer did the DSG service. They offer two versions: fluid change for $250 or fluid and filter for $350. I purchased the oil, and all filters from ECS. And yes buying the cable seems like a good ideas now!

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
You need cable just for monitoring temp inside tranny, but I can do without.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Over at the "other" TDI forum (the one that rhymes with "myturbodiesel.com"), there's a post by a guy who shows both methods, the VW method and the "volumetric" method. If one prefers the VW method, he also shows a very effective DIY tool to do the bottom fill on the DSG.....although using that method, one must still use VAG-COM for the temperature level, etc.
In the event that we buy the DSG Passat (which is looking reasonably likely at this point) I will simply do the volume in - volume out procedure.....no muss, no fuss. For those who are worried about leaving any old oil in there, you're leaving two quarts in there in any case, unless you pull the DSG gearbox and disassemble it. While in the 40K service, you're replacing approximately 4.5 quarts, the refill after a rebuild is 6.5 quarts.
If one watches the videos that have been done of draining a DSG after the first 40K, there is a substantial amount of oil that comes out of that "level tube" before it's pulled to drain the bulk of the oil. That means those things are routinely overfilled at the factory anyhow, making me believe that this whole thing isn't all that critical, mas o menos a few ounces. Anyone who is of the opinion that the VW DSG service procedure is just a complete ad hoc cluster ^&%* as a result of bad engineering is correct, IMHO.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
All the vag-com is for is to know the tranny is up to temp before the change? Seems very easy to know this with an IR thermometer.

Also, with the way the standpipe is arranged, it seems impossible to overfill this with the plug out.

I don't know why VW makes such a big deal.

But then again, the dealer told my wifr it would be $1100 to change an oxygen sensor.