40k service checklist

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I just wanted to see if there's anything else I should be checking/changing/cleaning for 40K service. Things I've already done (myself):

DSG fluid
DSG filter
Oil (used LiquiMoly Toptec4200 5W30)
Oil Filter
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Fuel filter

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Also, is the timing belt supposed to be changed at 80k, or sooner?

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Paul-my owners maintenance book, says "check time belt @ 60k" / "@ 80k-- check timing belt and replace (unless already replaced at 60k)" Replace every 60k for life of engine.

As such- it appears to replace it between 60-80. Of course I vote for 60k, but I would not be concerned if I didn't get it done till 70k.
I don't know if there is a difference between your 2010 and my 2011.
-Andy

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Paul-my owners maintenance book, says "check time belt @ 60k" / "@ 80k-- check timing belt and replace (unless already replaced at 60k)" Replace every 60k for life of engine.

As such- it appears to replace it between 60-80. Of course I vote for 60k, but I would not be concerned if I didn't get it done till 70k.
I don't know if there is a difference between your 2010 and my 2011.
-Andy
Are you sure you're looking at the right place in the manual? All the maintenance schedules I have for 2009 - 2012 TDIs say that the timing belt is scheduled for replacement at 120,000 miles. Make sure you are looking in the section about diesel engines not gasoline engines. 2010 and 2011 (and 2012) Jettas both have the exact same CJAA engine.

Have Fun!

Don

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Only suggestion I have is checking in the intercooler hose (to see if anything comes out) and greasing the exhaust flapper with penetrating lube.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Are you sure you're looking at the right place in the manual? All the maintenance schedules I have for 2009 - 2012 TDIs say that the timing belt is scheduled for replacement at 120,000 miles. Make sure you are looking in the section about diesel engines not gasoline engines. 2010 and 2011 (and 2012) Jettas both have the exact same CJAA engine.

Have Fun!

Don
Don- Paul,

Well, now I really don't know. It said 2.0L, but later it says 2.0L MPI. It has no mention of changing at 120k.

Next page says Service at 130,000 miles
First paragraph is bold type "Service at 110,000 miles or one year after last service, which ever occurs first.
Then says Timing Belt: Replace (2.0L TDI only)

There is a page for 110,000 miles, But it says nothing about timing belt. The 120,000 mile page says nothing about timing belt either.

Don- I evidently don't know what is says, nor will anyone else that reads English. I would guess your information is much more likely to be correct.
Thanks for catching it- I truly don't know.

Paul- Retract what I said, sorry guys.
Interesting enough, it doesn't say anything about timing belt after 130k.
-Andy

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The check list is in the owner manual or Bentley manual... You got all the big stuff; the rest is mostly checking items...

CHECK:
battery
body, corrosion
brake pad thickness, measure
brake fluid, proper level (flush after 3 yrs, typically done under warranty at 30K, and then flush every two years thereafter)
cooling system fluid, proper level
CV boots, damage
DOOR HINGE PINS, LUBE<<<
engine, transmission, leaks
exhaust system, damage
lights interior, function
lights headlights, adjust if needed
rear window washer, operation
shocks, leaks
tires, wear, pressure, rotate
under-body sealant, damage
windshield washer fluid, level
wiper blades, check

Last edited:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
That cheat sheet is awesome! This thread should be made into a sticky or the spreadsheet put in the FAQ somewhere...

It's amazing how much help a little bit of organization and thought put into something this simple can be. I'd be scavenging through the manuals back and forth...

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Great cheat sheet ! You have the 1 hole fuel filter right . If this is posted as a sticky you should post both torque values as the 2 hole filters have a lower torque spec than the 1 hole (27in inch/lbs - 3nm).

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Great cheat sheet ! You have the 1 hole fuel filter right . If this is posted as a sticky you should post both torque values as the 2 hole filters have a lower torque spec than the 1 hole (27in inch/lbs - 3nm).
Updated.

All the parts and specs were for my car, but I've included more information for other cars. I didn't have an Oil Plug part# because I replaced it with an oil drain valve, but I've included it now.

I added in more information on fuel filters and screw torque. And I put in some recommended tools. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Pretty much all the info comes from MyTurboDiesel

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There is no way I'd get 4.5 liters into my 2.0L TDI engine... 4 with filter.
That doesn't sound right.

VW states that the 2.0L CR TDI engine takes 4.3L during an oil change. When I changed my oil, I put in just shy of 5L. But I do extra steps such as vacuuming out the oil cooler.

Either way, you should definitely be putting in more then 4L for an oil change.

http://www.hotpocketdeath.org/Car/Jetta_Oil_Fill.jpg

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I was just going to say the same thing.

Anyways, I just did my 40k and wrote up this cheat sheet to help me out with tool sizes and torque values. If you find it useful, you are more then welcome to use it.
http://www.hotpocketdeath.org/Car/Fluid and Filter changes.xlsx
Thanks. I might modify it with the parts I got. Everything I got was aftermarket (and all made in Germany). Liquimoly 4200 for the oil, and Pentosin for the DSG fluid. I'm curious, did you do the bottom drain, or the hideously slow top drain?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
That doesn't sound right.

VW states that the 2.0L CR TDI engine takes 4.3L during an oil change. When I changed my oil, I put in just shy of 5L. But I do extra steps such as vacuuming out the oil cooler.

Either way, you should definitely be putting in more then 4L for an oil change.

http://www.hotpocketdeath.org/Car/Jetta_Oil_Fill.jpg
I actually put in 4.3L, but I'll check it tomorrow on the dipstick and add an extra .2L if I must.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I drained 4.7 from mine and put back in the same. No ill effects and Ive been driving on that for 6000 miles.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thanks. I might modify it with the parts I got. Everything I got was aftermarket (and all made in Germany). Liquimoly 4200 for the oil, and Pentosin for the DSG fluid. I'm curious, did you do the bottom drain, or the hideously slow top drain?
I put in the same oil (but used OEM fluid for the DSG). Got the 5L bottle from IDparts.

But to answer your question, I bottom drained my last change. I alternate between Topside and bottom every other change.

I drained 4.7 from mine and put back in the same. No ill effects and Ive been driving on that for 6000 miles.
Yeah, that's pretty much the same amount of Oil I put back in my car. I'd estimate that the oil cooler holds roughly .4L.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Oh I was meaning DSG fluid. But now that I think about it pretty much the same thing for the engine oil as well. 4.5 brought it half way up the dipstick. Added just a little more to be about 3/4 up the hash marks. Works for me.