20,000 mile service - checklist

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
I'm coming up on my 20,000 mile service and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I've watched the fuel filter replacement video (and I'm a little worried about doing it right) and I know how to change my oil. What else do I need to do? Any gotchas or caveats when changing the fuel filter? A while back, I changed my oil for the first time and it went fine, so I'm hopeful I won't screw it up. ;)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Change the cabin air filter.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The smell is in the AC evaporator actually. You need to use some product designed to kill mildew/mold to get rid of that or sometimes some Lysol sprayed into the blower from outside after removing the filter. Flood it, run around and hit the recirc button and let it circulate on high for 10 minutes.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
jasonTDI said:
The smell is in the AC evaporator actually. You need to use some product designed to kill mildew/mold to get rid of that or sometimes some Lysol sprayed into the blower from outside after removing the filter. Flood it, run around and hit the recirc button and let it circulate on high for 10 minutes.
I guess I should have posted here to find out what to do. I just searched and everything said to replace the filter. :( Oh well, the smell's mostly gone. I'll lysol it when I do the maintenence next week.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Fuel filter

Read about trick for removing filter is to push down on filter and turn. It will then pop up and easy to remove.:)

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Well, I got my fuel filter replaced and I also did my air filter since I was ordering stuff from tdiclub (I don't know if the air filter was due - according to my dealership it was). I was able to do both of them without incident and saved myself at least $70. The dealer wanted $100 to replace the fuel filter. It cost me $28 and 10 minutes.

One thing, though: I didn't realize that the fuel filter didn't come with the washers (the blue and black ones on the T hose) so I didn't put new ones on. Is that a problem? I can't believe that the filter didn't come with them because the Mann Oil filter I ordered did. Did I just lose them in the box or something?

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
There's a reason I'm not working in a field where attention to detail is all important. The washers were in the box. I just put them on. I think my first real maintenance other than a simple oil change was a success. :) I couldn't have done it without studying that MoGolf video 4 times, but I did it none-the-less. :D

basskleff

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS
I did my filters about 3 months and 5K miles ago.
I recall that the Mann fuel filter I got from dieselgeek.com had the replacement O-rings.
From experience with other vehicles, bikes, etc, IMHO, if the originals aren't cracked or especially worn, you won't have a problem reusing them.
Was it a Mann filter? They were pretty small so they could be tucked under a flap or have fallen out.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Was it a Mann filter? They were pretty small so they could be tucked under a flap or have fallen out.
Yeah. They were in the shipping box. They must have fallen out when I took the filter out to look at it. I replaced them just to be safe.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Will do both of those recommendations. Normally, I'd change the oil myself, but the VW service people didn't do their check-in inspection as promised, so they had to pay up with a free oil change. I made sure to tell them that I knew exactly what type of oil they should use (505.01) and I expect them to use it. Of course, the mechanic said my next oil change is due in 5k miles which made me worried that he didn't use the 505.01 but they're just money grubbing bastards there. Looks like I didn't need to change my air filter this time even though they said it was due. I hate that dealership.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Is there a set of instructions for changing the cabin air filter somewhere for people like me?
I'm at 32,200km and just waiting for my filter kit to show up....

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Zero10 said:
Is there a set of instructions for changing the cabin air filter somewhere for people like me?
I'm at 32,200km and just waiting for my filter kit to show up....
There is one some where around here. I think it's a pdf instruction guide and not a video. It's not hard to do, but it takes some work. It was harder than the fuel filter and much harder than the air filter, but still totally doable.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Haha, no kidding. I have no idea how to put something like that together or else I would help.