MN Chat Thread

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
if there is interest, i would host next weekend (in bemidji), i don't think i have any plans - we don't have a very big apt - just a small 1bedroom place, small kitchen, but we have a heated 1 car garage that we could most likely use. next weekend i'm going to be wanting to install my pd134 oil cooler in the jetta..

Daemon688

TDI
Golf, 2004, Indigo Blue
If I don't get accepted for study abroad, I'll be down for it.

Poptones

TDI
None
New user here. Currently looking for my first TDI, and hoping you could recommend some decent mechanics in the metro (though it seems a lot of you do your own wrenching). I used to take my old GTI to Chad at SCI, but I'm not sure if he works on diesels at all.

A recommendation for southern MN/Mankato would be helpful too. I'm looking at a Jetta in Mapleton tomorrow, and getting a pre-purchase check would be nice.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
newby, and already lost my injector pump

Bought my 2001 Jetta TDI auto about 2 months ago. 81k. at 88k the injector pump went out. Dealer is quoting $1,054.37 in parts and $472 in labor. Does this pricing sound right? Also curious if others have had issues with their injector pumps. Trying to figure out why the heck this thing went out? I am not sure if the previous owner used additive but I started using Sanodyne about 8 tanks ago. I dont think that had anything to do with the pump going out but? . I appreciate in advance any feedback from the group- Mn Miser-

FYI I was getting 37 mpg average.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Hi Poptones and MNmiser, our local expert is Deafbug, I'm not sure if he does more than timing belts. There are some online places that sell TDI parts. tdiparts comes to mind as well as Impex for getting cheaper pumps etc. My '02 is at 108K and running fine, so I don't know why your pump is out. 37 sounds normal for an auto depending on how much city your are doing.

Sam

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Don't forget TwoJettas, he doesn't post much but he is a good mechanic.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Spamjohnson said:
I'm not sure if he does more than timing belts.
Check my website. I list what I will do. I gotta draw the line somewhere so I don't do clutch/gear swap or replace trannies things like that.

edit to say if the redirection doesn't work. You can go to the actual site. http://home.comcast.net/~deafbug/

Last edited:

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Anybody replace there wheel bearings yet? Mine are making a slight humming noise. How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks Ron

somepunk22

Veteran Member
tango_28 said:
Anybody replace there wheel bearings yet? Mine are making a slight humming noise. How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks Ron
I'm just starting to look into the same. Mine don't hum, but there is some play with the 12 oclock, 6 oclock test. I talked to SCI today, and they quoted me $250 for each front bearing. :eek: I think I may be looking into doing this myself.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
somepunk22 said:
I'm just starting to look into the same. Mine don't hum, but there is some play with the 12 oclock, 6 oclock test. I talked to SCI today, and they quoted me $250 for each front bearing. :eek: I think I may be looking into doing this myself.
I replaced the wheel bearings on mine about 1 year ago. Not too bad of a job. I ended up turning some bearing tools on a lathe and bought a few washers, some 3/4" threaded rod, and a few nuts from Home Depot. Took about 4 hrs to make the tools, and about $10 in hardware. Worked like a charm. Removing the inner race from the hub was a snap when you cut a groove in the inner race to be removed using a dremel, followed by a sharp impact using a cold chisel and a hammer. The inner race will crack where you cut the groove and will slide easily off of the spindle.

Check out the how-to thread on vortex at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1722551

There used to be a dimensioned drawing showing how to make the tools required but it looks like it is no longer there. I have the pic on my computer at work so I'll post that to this site tomorrow.

A complete front wheel bearing replacement kit is only $45 from tdiparts.com.

Last edited:

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
MNmiser said:
Bought my 2001 Jetta TDI auto about 2 months ago. 81k. at 88k the injector pump went out. Dealer is quoting $1,054.37 in parts and $472 in labor. Does this pricing sound right? Also curious if others have had issues with their injector pumps. Trying to figure out why the heck this thing went out? I am not sure if the previous owner used additive but I started using Sanodyne about 8 tanks ago. I dont think that had anything to do with the pump going out but? . I appreciate in advance any feedback from the group- Mn Miser-

FYI I was getting 37 mpg average.
The real culprit is the tensioner. It broke. That is the second car in a month that they were told that it is the pump. Car is still in my garage as owner is trying to get dealer take the blame for poor install. Need to pull head off to inspect further damage. Timing belt was replaced at 80K just before he bought the car. And (drum roll) the dealer who did the install is ..... (drum roll stops) West Side VW.

Daemon688

TDI
Golf, 2004, Indigo Blue
If you were able to, you can always bring in the entire spindle down to NAPA. They'll charge you $25 each to press in new bearings for you.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
tango_28 said:
Bearing replacement GTG?
Even if I was only observing and handing tools I'd be game. My Saturday afternoons after this weekend will be kaput though.

I have an oil change waiting and looking to do the last bottom drain method for a few changes.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Wondering if any of you know who might be the owner of a red Golf, license MJK something, spotted on Valley Creek Road near 494 tonight. Tango28 had no idea.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Many thanks to Defbug. The dealer is not claiming fault or no fault even after hi res digital pics with commentary emailed to them. I am told they will refund the $112.00 for the mis-diagnosis of the injector pump. Have not seen the credit in my bank account yet. This Saturday DeafBug and I are pulling the head off in my shop to see the extend of the damage. Others are welcome to attend as well. The shop is heated and there are plenty of beverages:) From there we will post pics of the tensioner etc. Put it to an online, objective TDI club vote and send the results to the dealer.

Service manager, two mechanics and I had a conferance call this past week. Seems od that it would take 8,000 miles for the tensioner to break. Either way they claim VW does not require the tensioner change. Bently manual says change it. THey dont follow that manual, which may be a hint that they do not feel responsible. Im interested in what others might think?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
DeafBug said:
And (drum roll) the dealer who did the install is ..... (drum roll stops) West Side VW.
Just at Westside this week to pick up a part and I'm not at all surprised that they would do something like that. Just a bunch of morons. Depending on when you guys will be doing this, I'm interested in attending? :eek: Let me know where and when. Thanks.

Last edited:

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
I will PM the addy to ya. Might need to make a beverage run if anymore chime in.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
We had a nice surprise that really end the job for the night. The large roller has no balls in it.

The head is fine but needs a rebuild from valve to lifters on all 8. Ironic that only one port is open, shouldn't there be two at any given time, one In and one Out? So whatever that port is probably stuck closed or jammed or whatever.

Also I had to cut the oil feed line to the turbo from the oil filter housing. It was totally stuck on it. One I got the part out, I had to use a vise separate the part from the metal line.

He is going to order a timing belt kit to get a fresh clean start and return the tensioner and belt to the dealer. So sometime over Thanksgiving weekend, the TDI will be running.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
HUGE thanks to Deafbug. A very very long day. We also had great help from Greengeeker.

Word to the wise, CHANGE YOUR ROLLERS!!! Tensioner was definately over tightened, defainately broker/bent and looked to be an original part.

Where to draw the line when doing a timing belt? Who knows. Its a roll of the dice and the luck of the draw. This is a case for the stats book of when parts fail. Who is keeping track?

Accopmlishments for the day.
1. New head completely installed. Came VIA UPS by 11:00am.
2. Intake cleaned and reinstalled.
3. Old timing belt, big roller and tensioner removed.

some sad news- the headgasket kit I bought from the dealership (which I should not have done) did not come with the actual head gasket. Hence I got more practice driving 56 miles one way to a dealership that had a head gasket.

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
Anyone know how to get my Monsoon radio out of SAFE mode? I don't even know how it got like this. One minute it was working and the next it is stuck in this stupid mode asking for a code that I do not have (i dont have the original manual).

Just thought I would ask here before I checked with Westside.
Thanks

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
My radio stopped working this past summer, however I think it was diff as it didn't ask me for a code. Anyway, all I had to do was pull the radio fuse out for 10 sec and put it back in - worked like a charm.

2000TDIJetta

Veteran Member
You could try to call the dealer to get the code. I didn't have mine But I just called the dealer with my VIN# and they gave it to me. I don't think they were suppose to do that but its worth a try.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
Wow, MNmiser and DeafBug - it's painful to read your story. Were you guys measuring break-away torques on anything when you were removing the old parts? Just wondering if everything was installed with an air ratchet or was properly torqued.

I'd like to get a good look at the old cylinder head sometime. I think one or more of my valve seals is wearing out since I get a healthy puff of blue smoke instantly on startup. Like I'm dripping oil into a cylinder and it is being burned off right away. Are you guys still going to post any pics of the damaged head / valves?

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Deafbug has the pics, Im about 12 miles from you. The Cylinder head is still on the bench. You are welcome to check it out. We are resuming work sometime over the Turkey break. The tensioner was overtightened along with some mounts etc. Obviously tightened with an impact.