2005 Jetta TDI wagon - Sudden Low Power

alaska_tdi

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon, Manual
Looking for advice from the experts here. I recently purchased a 2005 Jetta TDI wagon, manual. I got lucky - It was a one owner vehicle with 92,000 original miles, completely stock, no accidents, and a full maintenance history performed on time. Timing belt was done at 90k. Love it!

I’ve owned the car for 3000 miles, and I’ve started having an issue where after the first 2-3 minutes of driving, there is a sudden reduction in available power that continues for the rest of the drive. It’s like a switch is flipped, and is especially noticeable at higher RPM’s. Normally the car will pull strong through 4000 RPM, but once the switch happens, there’s little power above 2500 RPM. It resets every time the car is turned off.

I have a long steady hill near my house that I used to confirm my suspicions. Once the engine was warm, I restarted my car to reset the problem, and then was easily able to accelerate to 50 MPH up the hill. A minute or two in, I suddenly lost power, slowed to 35 MPH (10 below the limit) on the same grade, with the pedal floored.

It seems like a sensor tripping something in the ECU. Based on information from these forums I suspected it might be a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. I brought the car to my local import mechanic and had them run the codes while changing the oil. They returned two engine codes.

16683 – Boost Pressure Regulation Control Range Not Reached P0299

18996- Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit Signal too Low P2564 – Intermittent

The mechanic’s note was “Possible bad valve position sensor on turbo causing boost codes, not building full amount of boost, turbo could be gunked up”

They said they could take apart the turbo and look for a possible cause of the problem. Before doing that (and committing to an expensive bill) I figured I’d check in with the experts here.

My questions are:
1) What is the most likely cause of the problem? I’m new to the forum, so feel free to link any info.
2) Is there a DIY repair? I’m not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined.
3) What would the repair run in shop?
Thanks in advance!

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It's common for the wiring to the position sensor to fail/corrode, the smart actuator can simply be deleted with software and then it should function properly. *may* be related to p0299, maybe not. VCDS data logging under measuring block 11 would be best to test that.

Couple import shops up your way that're familiar with these things
http://www.p3ia.com/
https://www.facebook.com/alaskanautorepair/ (edmonds import auto)

Coscienceguy

TDI
04 Jetta gls wagon
For me, I had similar codes, 16485 to be exact. It feels like the car goes into a "valet" mode with no boost right? It can happen at any time for me and as you said, resets when you start it again. I chased down all the common things as I've read here and had a great mechanic finally diagnosis it. What it ended up being was a crack in my ECM. So I ordered one from Tom's Foreign.com. I've also had some random clicking within the dash as I'm just driving along. This helped my emchanic narrow it down to the ecm as well since I've done everything else.

HSkinner

TDI
none
I've got the same issue. I think it's related to the turbo although I'm going to go get some di-electric grease to put on the plug going into the MAF. This seems to be an issue with the connection. I think mine might be the turbo actuator but I haven't gotten that deep into it yet.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Since the turbo does provide full power under certain conditions, I would suspect the controls.

alaska_tdi

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon, Manual
Thanks for the responses - I'll try to get the car in the shop in the next few weeks and report back. Thanks!

DieselKat

TDI
05 Jetta, 03 Powerstroke, 2015 Chev Cruz 2.0
I am no mechanic, just a parts changer and not a good one at that. However the two symptoms mentioned above have happened to me on my 05' tdi. I don't know where I read it, perhaps on this forum, but apparently the clicking sound is caused by the turn signal mechanism needing cleaned. Mine makes the sound on occasion and I have done nothing about it.

Also, I experienced the sudden loss of power as described. I was passing and suddenly no power. Thought I was going to die! I drove it like that to my destination then when I started the car to leave all was fine. I assumed it was turbo because of the high miles on the car. I did some reading and came to the conclusion it was possibly my MAF sensor. I removed and cleaned it. I have not had the problem again and my fuel economy is improved by about 1 to 1.5 mpg. However, I still purchased a new MAF and keep it in the trunk just in case. I have driven the car about 10,000 miles since without issue.

Like I said, I am no mechanic and my info is worth the price you paid for it.