No compression #1 cylinder

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
2002 5spd Jetta wagon with 255k mi. Lost power coming up hill and there is no compression in #1 cylinder. I got the car used with 165xx miles and have been running Malone 1.5 with 1019 injectors set up by Drivebywire for about 75k mi.

Had timing belt replaced at 250k.

Car just lost power, no bad noise, was dark so I could not see if smoke. Car runs with no smoke, just major miss. Compression test shows very low, 20psi? or so. Just enough to move the gauge.

I expect bad valve or piston. Anyone have a prediction and a suggested course of action? What am I looking at cost wise? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Archie

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Take the head off and look. You may find something along the way, after the valve cover is off.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Was there any damage to the glow plug when you removed it? If you remove the valve cover is there any evidence of issues from the top? Chances are you dropped a valve and its lodged in the piston, you could be looking at top and bottom end but you'll never know until its further looked into. I have never seen one of these engines just randomly blow a hole in the piston.

Cost.. depends on the issue and if you're having a shop do the work.. $1000-$2500 or more.

Hate to see this so close to a timing belt job.. makes me think there was something not done right. Did you do the timing belt as maintenance or because of an issue?

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
The glow plug and the injector look fine. No odd deposits or damage. The timing belt was normal maintenance. I am curious how the timing belt might be involved. I have vagcom but have not checked the timing.

I am a little nervous about running on the off chance something falls apart.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I wouldn't be inclined to run it either.

Even a broken ring or blown head gasket wouldn't put compression to near zero. You're likely looking at something more catastrophic. Best case scenario is a bit of carbon or something hung up in the exhaust valve or something, but that's not all that likely.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I would be suspicious of what may have happened when the belt was changed 5,000 miles ago.

Is it possible the timming was set wrong when the new belt was first installed and one of the valves kissed a piston and then the timming was corrected without checking for damage?

Just playing devils advocate here.....who did the belt....are they experienced on tdi"s?

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
Interesting possibility. The shop, who shall remain nameless for now, has a good reputation and has done extensive work for me in the past. They are not a known tdi guru but I have experience with them going back 30 or so years. They have done tdi belts but I don't know how many.

Nothing is easy. Trying to remove the valve cover but there is an allen in the back that won't budge. I hope I can avoid drilling it out. I just anointed it with my favorite penetrating oil (ATF and Acetone) so I'll give it a bit and try it again.

Any suggestions on removing this appreciated.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Those little stripped allen bolts on the valve cover often come out very easily if you use a small hammer and a small chisel to make a small notch in the bolt head while tapping the bolt out backwards to loosen it.
I've never had to drill one out yet.

....did I explain that well enough?

Last edited:

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
Thanks I understand the chisel idea. The front allens were to my way of thinking really tight and broke loose with a pretty loud pop. Someone has been in there before me because there is a hex head in the left rear instead of an allen. I will let it sit for a bit and maybe the penetrant will help before I try again.

I was taught not to crank down really tight on valve covers because you just deform the cover and increase the chance for leaks.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Put compressed air in the glow plug hole and see where it come out. If it really has no compression, it should be obvious where the leak is.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks I understand the chisel idea. The front allens were to my way of thinking really tight and broke loose with a pretty loud pop. Someone has been in there before me because there is a hex head in the left rear instead of an allen. I will let it sit for a bit and maybe the penetrant will help before I try again.

I was taught not to crank down really tight on valve covers because you just deform the cover and increase the chance for leaks.
valve cover bolts should be only 7 ft/lbs

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
I have a leakdown tester that I may try to adapt to fit the compression tester fitting. I'll play with that after the valve cover is off.

It is not beyond me to make a fitting that will work with the leakdown tester but probably easier to adapt. It may be as easy as changing the output hose from the compression tester to the leakdown.

For diversion I am fitting the neck on a fiddle at the moment, making progress where I can.

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
I would guess they were more like 25 or 30 ft#. There was no sign of loctite so I'm not sure how they got them that tight without stripping something.

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
Finally got time and motivation to get the valve cover off. Every thing looks fine to me. I did not turn it over.

Thanks for the tip on the chisel and punch. I needed that on three allens.

I'll get it back to the shop tomorrow and they can pull the head.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
No need for any fancy leak down tools. Just shoot air to it and see where the air comes out. Since it's #1, just roll it over until the locking hole in the injection pump is lined up. This will close both valves. Now shoot air to it and listen.

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
Verdict is in: Cracked piston in #1

Did something happen to cause this or just bad luck?

Suggested fix is hone cylinders replace pistons and rod bearings.

Could this be related to power increase (Malone 1.5 and 1019 injectors) or timing belt change?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A streaming injector can cause a cracked or melted piston. Check those before reinstalling them.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I recommend an impact. A typical dewalt or something, not an auto impact.
This has become a part of my go bag!
They're great for screws and small bolts you don't want to strip.

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
I need to know where to look, I am aware that the injector could cause and will get that tested or use other injectors but not sure what else to look for.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pull the engine apart, see what you are dealing with.

I would send those injectors out for proper testing.

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
Pull the engine apart more than removing the pistons and rods? And what would we be looking for that can't be seen now?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You know, I'm hung up on the fact that the valve cover bolts were horribly over-torqued. Yeah, it's like getting distracted by a squirrel, BUT...

If the shop that did the TB didn't have a cam "lock" tool that doesn't require removing the valve cover then that means that the shop over-torqued the valve cover. If this is the case I'd question EVERYTHING that they did.

I'm a newcomer here compared to most folks. I may have heard of one other instance of a cracked piston. And it might have been from high performance mods. So, just what can crack a piston if not really bad fueling? (seems one should have noticed such poor fueling) It's possible, though not very probable (yes, even the best have bad days), that the injectors were botched.

Timing? Bad rod which caused undue stress on the piston? Bad head gasket (causing a thermal imbalance)? These questions are based on the apparent fact that there was no loud bang which would have indicated the cylinder ingesting a valve.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pull the engine apart more than removing the pistons and rods? And what would we be looking for that can't be seen now?
Valves and appurtenances, off with the head (you may have already done this)

apbiii

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5spd Wagon
The head is off and apparently the valves are fine.

The shop wants to blame the failure on the Malone 1.5 tune and 1019 injectors and therefore see no need to look further.

The comment on the valve cover is interesting. I had not thought about that. Just how did they lock the cam without taking off the valve cover? I can't say for sure but it seems like it was not removed.

Heading down there now to have a talk and take a couple of pictures.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Pistons crack due to heat (or more specifically due to heat cycling). You have larger injectors and a tune. Do you run an EGT gauge?

I would have a very hard time blaming this on the timing belt. If we were talking about bent valves, a torn belt, a bad water pump or any they like that sure.

I assume the car has been starting fine? No CEL? Static timing is pretty hard to mess up on an ALH. Even if it were hideously advanced you'd probably have been aware of that already.

Who installed your nozzles?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You know, I'm hung up on the fact that the valve cover bolts were horribly over-torqued. Yeah, it's like getting distracted by a squirrel, BUT...

If the shop that did the TB didn't have a cam "lock" tool that doesn't require removing the valve cover then that means that the shop over-torqued the valve cover. If this is the case I'd question EVERYTHING that they did.

I'm a newcomer here compared to most folks. I may have heard of one other instance of a cracked piston. And it might have been from high performance mods. So, just what can crack a piston if not really bad fueling? (seems one should have noticed such poor fueling) It's possible, though not very probable (yes, even the best have bad days), that the injectors were botched.

Timing? Bad rod which caused undue stress on the piston? Bad head gasket (causing a thermal imbalance)? These questions are based on the apparent fact that there was no loud bang which would have indicated the cylinder ingesting a valve.
I've done enough timing belt jobs to see this is often the case, even on the crank pulley bolts. Too tight. Unnecessarily hard later.