Front seat options

brtdi1998

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'm looking to replace my front seats soon and was wondering what other years and models i could get a set out of. I typically see 2000 to 2006 Jettas and Passats in my local yard.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The direct install is a Mk3 seat, that's the only one that can be dropped in without modification.

I've measured some different seats and the Mk4 seats are narrower at the base.

Steve

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
The direct install is a Mk3 seat, that's the only one that can be dropped in without modification.

I've measured some different seats and the Mk4 seats are narrower at the base.

Steve
Plug & play with no mods would be ideal, and there are lots more MK3 out there in JY land to choose from.

Are there specific model years, or models you'd go after?

I am thinking specific years where VW offererd sports seats or Recaro seats as part of special edition, GLX, Wolfsburg etc ?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Plug & play with no mods would be ideal, and there are lots more MK3 out there in JY land to choose from.

Are there specific model years, or models you'd go after?

I am thinking specific years where VW offererd sports seats or Recaro seats as part of special edition, GLX, Wolfsburg etc ?
All Mk3 will work, but if you want the sport seats with the heftier bolsters then look for the following for Mk3 Jetta:

GT - 1998-99
GLX - 1995 up (technically 1994 but those are few and far between)
K2 - some models got the better sport seats and heated seats were std.
Trek - not sure if the Trek ever got the sport seats but if they did it was after 1997
Wolfsburg - 1998 (and maybe 1999?) got the big bolster seats.

You could go the GTI route too but those seats have the tilt lever and that might look awkward.

I don't recall any Mk3 having true Recaro seating (like Mk2 did) but could be. I kind of think they were all factory Recaro knock offs. If you got the correct seat bases you could use the Recaro Trophy from the Mk2.

Steve