New member going to look at/Buy 02 Golf TDI

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Just signed up i work on diesels, motorcycles, planes blah blah i have mechanical experience but im new to these cars for sure, I put a deposit down and am going to go look at a 02 Golf TDI GLH 5 speed 4 door. Driving 6 hours to get the damn thing. Has 214k Miles just had timing belt service done no check engine lights, cold AC. Good tires and has newer suspension and brakes he says, almost no rust.

I Was told it runs and drives fine and will blow some black smoke when it boosts up. I believe the guy bought the car to resell not knowing much about it. He listed it saying larger turbo, custom exhaust, intake and a "computer program". I asked him a ton of questions and all seemed well i wish he knew what MPG it was getting but he doesn't. I also asked if its quicker then a stock one and he just yea just a little bit. Kind of a red flag for me because it should be more than just a little bit...

I googled the vin and found out the guy that owned the car and did the mods is a member on here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=459916

After reading the thread and talking to him after messaging on here its like a stage 4 tune. intake, exhaust, VNT17 turbo, injectors with bigger nozzles, sbc endurance clutch, SMIC and maybe a few other doo dads but he said it was detuned when he got rid of it i guess meaning the tune he had on it to run strong with the setup is no longer there due to him taking his little flashzilla thing or whatever ( still new to this).

Anyways sorry for the novel but a unique situation and any pointers on what to look for on these cars would be helpful besides the regular stuff with any cars. thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Go to Ross-Tech.com and buy VCDS as it looks like the car has a boost issue which could be any number of things. I would also buy a Mity-Vac or equivalent as it could be the turbo actuator is not set up correctly.

voodoojoe

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI (bought it with 15 miles on the odometer)
I would want to see the repair ticket on the timing belt, water pump and pullies

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
^^ Second that on the timing belt. Unless he has documentation on who did the job, when and what was replaced, plan on replacing it immediately. As one member said recently sellers all say the same thing "timing belt was just done".

Everything the belt touches gets replaced at every belt change, 3 rollers, tensioner, water pump and belt, plus some one time use bolts.

A quality belt kit looks like this. There is also a high mileage kit that adds a bit more.

http://www.idparts.com/alh-timing-belt-kit-038109119m-p-449.html

Do not buy one from eBay, even if they are giving them away.

A vcds and a mity vac are indispensable if you own one of these cars. Also a set of triple square sockets.

Good luck and welcome to Fred's.