Got to give a shout out to Jim @ DieselGeek

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Yesterday I took a Sigma 5 shifter off my buddies 01 Golf that he's selling, and was going to put it on my car. My buddy has had this shifter on his car for 6+ years without issue. Driving his car home on Thursday I noticed the shifter was VERY stiff, and thought he might have trans issues. Swapped on the stock stuff out of my 05 yesterday and his trans suddenly felt fine.

What I noticed was that the spherical bearings on the Sigma 5 were STIFF. Like REALLY stiff.

So today I went about trying to loosen them up, and in the process sent Jim an email. Explained the situation, told him I understand if he limits support. I spent a solid couple of hours working motor oil into them with no real change in stiffness.

Jim and I emailed back and forth and after I explained that I could loosen the bolts and let the ball of the bearing rotate on the bolts, it felt better (suspecting this was putting the shifter load on to the bolts, which was my primary want for talking to Jim in the first place).

Jim and I ended up talking, and I'm shipping the shifter to him on Monday. He explained this was an early shifter, with steel on steel spherical bearings. He's since moved to a brass and teflon setup, which is much more reliable in the northern salty conditions. He's upgrading the spherical bearings to the new ones, said it won't cost me much, and he's happy to do it to ensure someone is happy with his kit.

THAT is customer support right there. So I had to give him a big public thank you.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It's nice to hear a company takes care of something like that, especially after 6+ years in service.

Rick03TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
I have the newer version and I concur, great people to deal with!

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Ok, even more impressed. Got this back today:

Not only did he put a new bushing in the one piece, he completely replaced the other piece, AND threw in the installation kit stuff to boot. I am rather shocked by this, and needless to say he's earned my recommendation to anyone moving forward.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ditto, I have a gotten a shifter and panzer plate from him, good quality items. Also has some nice tutorial videos out there.