BorgWarner VNT17 vs Garrett VNT17

Berk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH @200K
Hi guys
wondering if there is any difference between two. Bora Parts says Borg Warner allows greater airflow from a smaller compressor wheel (less rotating mass), thus reducing turbo lag compared to the Garrett VNT17.

Is this true or marketing gimmick?

any experience
Thanks

Berk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
From a durability track record, Garrett wins easily hands down. All of the as-fitted-from-the-factory variable nozzle Garrett turbochargers sold here, which is the ALH* and BHW engines, seem to hold up better than the BW variable units on the BEW, BRM, and of course all the CR TDIs.

As far as performance, I really do not think there is any advantage to the BW, and as mentioned above the durability means you would not necessarily want to throw too much at it anyway.

*very early ALH engines, even a handful sold here, which would have just been in a couple hundred 1998 New Beetles, did get fitted with a BW turbocharger. They all blew up. Literally, you are not likely to find ANY 1998 NB alive today that was fitted with one of those that is still working, which is why very early on VAG had to switch over to Garrett. ETKA used to even show the VIN split, but of course the old number was obsoleted long ago anyway.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ironically, I think all 4 cylinder TDIs have run B-W turbos since 2004. But the life span of the BEW/BRM turbos has, in many cases, been shorter than their Garrett predecessors.

My son's '02 Golf is still going strong at 342K on its original Garrett VNT-15.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the Garrett VNT15 on the ALH is a good unit. Heck, I was dragging a Jetta on a dolly behind my Golf over the weekend down the highway at 70... even up a hill. A/C blasting, too. If there was ever a hard time for a turbocharger, that was probably it, LOL. And that particular unit, a used one from a 2002 Jetta, has currently about 260k miles on it.

Berk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI ALH @200K