www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 25th, 2017, 05:05   #16
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

^Great informative post^
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 18:35   #17
mathanz

I found my black leather seats in a sedan in a junk yard. Swapping the frames on the rear lowers wasn't too hard and was a good enough fit although not perfect. Installing a child seat anchor was a real PITA. I also did black leather-like head rests from a beetle for the rears. They look great but aren't great support.
mathanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:39   #18
jpdeuce
Veteran Member

I've got a line on some nice ones from a 2002. Does anyone know off hand if these will or will not fit? I've got an '05 with the cup holders in the middle. There was some talk in this thread of my seats perhaps being skinnier to accommodate the cup holders. Could these be fatter and not fit?

jpdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:03   #19
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

2002 what? If they are from a golf, gti, gli, or jetta the fronts seats should fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:49   #20
jpdeuce
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmaniac View Post
2002 what?
Jetta...sorry.

So, should be no width issues? They are a two hour drive from me, so would like to not waste the time.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:13   #21
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
Jetta...sorry.

So, should be no width issues? They are a two hour drive from me, so would like to not waste the time.
While I believe there may be some slight width differences to accommodate the newer style cup holder center console, I do not believe it is so much that it prohibits the use.

For example, I have both a 2002 & 2003 MK4 wagon with the newer style cup holder style center console AND 2001/2002 leather MK4 seats.

Hope that helps.
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:56   #22
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

I have an '02 golf with the newer style cup holder and GLI seats without any fitment issues. Some of the earlier Mk4's had a different airbag electrical connector but you should be ok with 2002 into a 2005.

When you swap the seats you should disable the airbags using VCDS prior to the swap and enable when you have it buttoned up. You might have to clear a code, I think I got the seatbelt tensioner error and had to clear it when I installed my seats and when I helped install my old seats into another tdiclub member's car a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI

Last edited by volmaniac; July 3rd, 2017 at 11:00.
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:26   #23
jpdeuce
Veteran Member

Awesome, thanks for the responses...think I will jump on these seats while they are available.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:30   #24
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

One inexpensive "fix" for this sort of problem is Wet Okole covers.

They're neoprene, tough as nails, look damn near like factory seats, go on easily and can be removed to be cleaned if you need to.

I've got a set on my '15 Mazda "6" and my kid liked them enough that she asked for a set to go on the '03 Jetta TDI, which had its leather showing its age.

They're not inexpensive as seat covers go but they ARE much cheaper than having the original seats re-done, they look nearly indistinguishable from factory, and having abused mine now for about three years, running a couple of times a week and getting in the car dripping with sweat (plus living near the beach!) they still look brand new. If some day I DO destroy them they'll be much cheaper to replace than the seats would be....

Of course this doesn't help if the cushioning and such is trashed, but if it's appearance/covers that are the problem they definitely do the job and are airbag compatible.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:48   #25
jpdeuce
Veteran Member

My buddy had a Jeep way back in the day that had these covers on them. I remember liking them and probably would have gone that route if I didn't find these seats. How do the covers deal with the bottom of the seat where that whole plastic/frame/surround goes around the front of the seat? They worked good on the Jeep cause they could "hug" the bottom of the seat good, but I could see that causing on issue on these seats.

Anyway, I picked up these seats from an 02 or 03. they are a little wider than mine, but not by much. I got them swapped out and I'm very happy with them. I have a little less room in between the seats and the console, but not too bad. Also a little less room where the parking brake handle is. That is a little adjustment, but it still functions and the seat doesn't interfere.

Thought about listing my old ones on here, but not sure if there's a market? They are heated leather, but the leather is cracking and the seam between the base and the side bolster in coming apart. Do people get these and fix them up and resell them? Is it worth listing?

Old July 17th, 2017, 12:30   #26
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

The Wet Okoles' work fine on the ALH seats; they're cut "right" and look nice.

The kid loves them.

I love 'em on my Mazda; I've had 'em on the car now for about 3 years and they look very close to brand new. The only visible wear is on the center armrest piece (which came with mine.)
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:19   #27
Votblindub
Veteran Member

jpdeuce, what sort of budget are you working with? I've seen factory seats that would fit a jetta/golf from $100 upwards of $2500 without excessive travel or looking at sources outside the usa.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote