www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old June 13th, 2017, 17:09   #1
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Default 2005 Passat Wagon TDI FWD Auto in CA (not running)

The bad news first.
After leaving the car to sit for 6 months while I was out of work, the fuel tank became filled with algae, then I tried to star the car. Oops. I had my favorite mechanic, Dave Venn at Blackrock Auto take a look, but the tank, fuel lines, tandem pump, and probably the head and injectors would all require significant work at greater expense than I can afford.

The good news.
I bought the car from a curbstoner and put about $10,000 into restoring it. You can search my threads and learn all about it here on TDIClub. Most of the work was done at around 75,000 miles. It has a salvage title. It was involved in a front-end collision and I worked with licensed mechanics and body shops to completely restore. I have lots of pictures of the work here on TDIClub. Take a look.

Highlights
Odometer: 180,000 miles (approx.), recent smog check passed
ECU: mild stage 1 tune, undetectable during smog inspection
New injectors: PD150 bodies with DLC Race 768 nozzles (OPTIONAL - NOT INSTALLED IN CAR)
Matching "spare" ECU with RocketChip tune for above (OPTIONAL - NOT INSTALLED IN CAR)
Engine: Balance shaft unit replaced with new geared type
Timing belt: Replaced at 75,000
Main seal: New one installed at 75,000
Camshaft: Shows some wear, but not excessive.
Oil: Shell Rotella T-6 oil changed ~5,000 miles.
Paint/Upholstery: Silver/Black leather
Keys: 2 or 3 FOBs, one of them a bit "weak", valet key
Tranny: Runs perfectly. Fluid changed at 75,000 and again at 120,000.
Underbelly: Aluminum
Turbo boost problems: fixed with new intercooler at 80,000 and new S-hose at 170,000 miles. All boost hoses have new O-rings.
Turbo: slight axial play in the shaft, but not excessive
Alternator: Original with new pulley
Serpentine Belt: replace with new tensioner
Axles: Replaced CV boots at 80,000
Mounts: New engine mounts at 75,000
Fuel filter: Aftermarket 3nm filter kit with return bypass
Heater core: works great, but has the "gurgling" red herring issue
Cooling: works great with recent recharge
Throttle: New one installed at 80,000
O2 sensor: New one installed at 80,000
Air filter leak: Fixed with new VW gasket at 80,000 prior to any water intrusion
Batter: Upgraded to the larger one.
Garaged: Outdoors, but clearcoat at 75,000 with body work.

Other issues
There is a slow leak of steering fluid near the reservoir. It is probably a loose hose or something, but gave up trying to fix it.

Asking price: $2500 without Nozzles and without ECU
Asking price: $4000 with Nozzles and with ECU

I am also offering the Nozzles and matching ECU with RocketChip tune for sale separately if you don't want them. Please consider that these two are probably worth more than the car itself and make your offer accordingly. The ECU is plug-and-play with the stock one that is currently in the vehicle...you need to log in or change anything, except the glow plugs. The ones in the car now are 7 volts and the one for RocketChip is for the 5 volt plugs.

The car is located at BlackRock Automotive in Sacramento and is available for inspection. Dave Venn is the mechanic who has done all of the work on the car and can vouch for the work he has done. Please be respectful of his time and ask me the questions first.

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green

Last edited by Biodezl; June 13th, 2017 at 18:02.
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:22   #2
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Anyone?

Old June 17th, 2017, 16:29   #3
gotsoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 and looking for more

had my 05 sitting for 3 yrs,put a good battery in it and it started before I could let go of the key.I don`t think there is algae in your tank.
gotsoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 19:08   #4
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsoot View Post
had my 05 sitting for 3 yrs,put a good battery in it and it started before I could let go of the key.I don`t think there is algae in your tank.
Oh, yes there is! Thick, goopy, from bad fuel.

Old June 18th, 2017, 06:00   #5
Clroads
Veteran Member

Slight wear on the camshaft? What do the lifters look like? Timing belt is due also, so camshaft kit at same time? Would the trans service be due also. I like the geared shaft. Can also inspect hex during this service.

Should not take much to drop the tank, flush or replace with used? Flush (as with diesel purge for biological growth) from filter out line as normal flush? Filter should be clogged and slimy.

I didn't know this
From https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...Fuel-Algaecide
"On the other hand, if water enters your fuel storage or distribution system, either through condensation or venting, there’s an excellent probability that it will cause bacteria or fungal growth. That’s different from algae. Many species of bacteria, mold and fungus can grow in diesel fuel, but algae cannot because algae are plant-based organisms that need light to survive (which they won’t get in virtually any fuel systems). The scientific names for the most common types of organisms that live in petroleum products are Cladosporium resinae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Neither of these are good news for the fuel users lucky enough to find them."

From: http://www.intertek.com/microbiology...g/diesel-fuel/

"Microbiological growth and related problems with diesel fuel:

Bacteria:
SRB causes Corrosion and Sludge Development, GHB, Pseudomonas causes Surfactancy Problems), Flavobacterium, Acinetobacter and Micrococcus
Yeasts:
Candida, Saccharomyces, Torula, Hansenula
Moulds:
Hormoconis resinae (formerly Cladosporium Resinae), Aspergillus (both form form bacterial mats, below which intense corrosion can occur), Penicillium, Fusarium and Botrytis"

Curbstoning makes it sound like hidden structural damage or something? You bought with salvaged title and fixed up/repaired repaired in 2010. The frame rail photos and repair help, but the frame rail should have been visible from top. Well that was a 100k ago.

Overall, for the 2500 price, can have a really nice car (for a little work), for many more years. I would focus on the service first, probably equal in parts $ to the injectors/ ECU $, but that's just me. GLWS.

Last edited by Clroads; June 19th, 2017 at 04:38.
Clroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:36   #6
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Was this car run on Biodiesel or veggie oil? I ask because of your screen name.

If the car was run on Bio or Veggie...I have zero interest. But if not...
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 18:04   #7
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clroads View Post
Slight wear on the camshaft? What do the lifters look like? Timing belt is due also, so camshaft kit at same time?
The lifters were starting to make noise when the engine was hot. My plan was to replace the cam, bearings, lifters, timing belt, etc.

Quote:
Would the trans service be due also. I like the geared shaft. Can also inspect hex during this service.
Another flush is in order if you're going to keep the auto trans. A manual conversion is out of my league in terms of complexity, but certainly a fun project!

Quote:
Should not take much to drop the tank, flush or replace with used? Flush (as with diesel purge for biological growth) from filter out line as normal flush? Filter should be clogged and slimy.
It could be bacterial and/or fungal...no idea. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Curbstoning makes it sound like hidden structural damage or something? You bought with salvaged title and fixed up/repaired repaired in 2010. The frame rail photos and repair help, but the frame rail should have been visible from top. Well that was a 100k ago.
Yes, yes, and yes damage could have been visible, expect the curbstoner concealed it with bondo and black paint.

Quote:
Overall, for the 2500 price, can have a really nice car (for a little work), for many more years. I would focus on the service first, probably equal in parts $ to the injectors/ ECU $, but that's just me. GLWS.
Agreed, and if I were in California to do the work, I wouldn't be selling it.

Thanks for your interest.

Old June 19th, 2017, 18:05   #8
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Was this car run on Biodiesel or veggie oil? I ask because of your screen name.

If the car was run on Bio or Veggie...I have zero interest. But if not...
Yes, this was a B100-powered vehicle.
Thanks for asking.

Old June 20th, 2017, 19:01   #9
Clroads
Veteran Member

Oh, yes there is! Thick, goopy, from bad fuel
http://www.clean-fuels.com/images/bugpipe.gif
Clroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 19:44   #10
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clroads View Post
Oh, yes there is! Thick, goopy, from bad fuel
http://www.clean-fuels.com/images/bugpipe.gif
WFT? Just a Bio-Troll in a bucket?

Old July 15th, 2017, 14:27   #11
Biodezl
Veteran Member

Ok, so no takers for the car. So now what? I have no means to part it out. So, do I just have my local NPR radio station haul it away? What's the most ecologically appropriate way to dispose of this vehicle?

Old July 17th, 2017, 09:39   #12
Biodezl
Veteran Member

No offers, really?