LED trunk light mod (Kchorro mod)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
(finally) got these installed on our car today. Nice and easy :) I removed the carpet and ran the wires along the factory harness.

-Jason

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Two bucks on Ebay for the LED strips. Wait 3 weeks to arrive from China, wire it as clean as you want. Took me all of 15 minutes to run and splice wires and then I let my love of zap straps do the rest.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have light strips similar to Zedbra. 5 of them, attached with superglue instead of zip ties. Wires mostly run on top of the metal deck. I'll have to get some pictures too. I really like the amount of light in the trunk now.

jhsjr2

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
so happy to see this thread. Lighting in my new Passat is horrible, and I am in a night sports league,a nd can never see my gear in the trunk to find stuff. Will def need to do a mod like this, the brighter the better!!

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have light strips similar to Zedbra. 5 of them, attached with superglue instead of zip ties. Wires mostly run on top of the metal deck. I'll have to get some pictures too. I really like the amount of light in the trunk now.
I had the sticky on one side LED strips in the past and found that sometimes I needed to stick something large in the trunk (that sounds funny), I would knock the lights off. With the zap straps, they can rotate and not rip off. Saved me a few times thus far.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I mounted the LEDs in my truck in the recesses of the metal for just that reason, they should be protected from bumps. :)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
OK :D

Now that it's all done I find the cubby on the driver's side is a bit dark. I don't feel like undoing all the lights right now, perhaps later I'll add another LED on that side.

-J
I spy the bag hook! Love how the holes are there for them, but VW did'nt feel I was deserving of one...glad I "found" the one in the 06 before I sold it! :)

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I had the sticky on one side LED strips in the past and found that sometimes I needed to stick something large in the trunk (that sounds funny), I would knock the lights off. With the zap straps, they can rotate and not rip off. Saved me a few times thus far.
Yeah I have been thinking that this would happen with this mod and have been thinking about how to protect the lights before I install them. Surprised no one has observed this earlier in the thread.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I finally got an opportunity to install my version of the LED trunk light improvement. I used 5 lights, two in the front, 3 to the rear. It's a massive improvement over the dinky little well light that OEM installed.

These two insisted on hangin with me during the install.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I finally got an opportunity to install my version of the LED trunk light improvement. I used 5 lights, two in the front, 3 to the rear. It's a massive improvement over the dinky little well light that OEM installed.

These two insisted on hangin with me during the install.

Love the doxies!

sumtingwong1381

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been disappointed in the trunk light since purchasing the car, and wasn't sure what route I was going to take. I followed some others' advice and went with the LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Shipping was fast, and the install was super easy. I also replaced the stock bulb with a LED. Here are a few pics.

I removed the sub box, and ran the wires to one central location. I then spliced them all together, along with some 16 gauge wire that I purchased.

Here is a pic after the install, and you can see (2) of the bulbs.

Here is a final pic where the bulbs are not visible.

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Light not getting enough power

When I first sought out replacing the factory light assembly I assumed the lamp had burned out. So I purchased some LED strips and soldered them to the OEM assembly as shown earlier in these posts. I plugged the connector in and the LEDs showed very faintly. I examined the stock bulb and the filament is not burned out. I checked as much of the harness as possible for broken wires etc, but could find none. I even unplugged the harness from the passenger rear lamp which caused the rear lamp to stop working, plugged it back in to verify that source was receiving enough current. Finally to ensure my soldering worked properly I plugged the store demo box back into the whole OEM truck lamp assembly and the LEDs lit up perfectly. I'm stumped...Does anyone have any ideas that could help me trouble shoot the problem. Thank you in advance for the help.

Burl

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I tried to do this mod but ran into an issue. I am only getting 6V at the OEM light. Any ideas what might cause this?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Someone else reported low voltage at the OEM light, too. I don't remember what caused it or what the solution was.

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I installed 6 of the "little dot" leds from superbrightleds and while it made a huge difference, one of them blinks for the first half minute or so and another flickers for the first half minute. Then they are solid. Really weird and annoying. I thought it was a bad connection but I soldered all connections to a common source and then checked the voltage and wires at the two trouble makers and don't see any problems. Rather than send them back, I just ordered a few more and will try replacing the baddies.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've have had issues with blinking/flickering LEDs from SBL, but not on the little dots. Product quality is not consistent, although their return policy is pretty good.

Burl

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Someone else reported low voltage at the OEM light, too. I don't remember what caused it or what the solution was.
Anyone else remember this thread about low OEM voltage at trunk light? OEM light doesnt work most likely because it's only seeing 6v and that is also keeping me from upgrading to led's.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Sorry I can't help with your voltage issue but can highly recommend the SB LED upgrade. I used the hot glue method and soldered everything up.

mknj

TDI
2012 Passat
I hated the dark trunk. Performed the led upgrade as outlined in previous postings. Did not check the voltage. Been very happy with the results so far, about 2 months.

http://www.autozone.com/lighting-led-and-neon/led-lighting/alpena-flexled-light/60060_0_0/

Bought these at autozone for $16. Layed them perpendicular to the trunk opening, one just in front and one just behind the subwoofer. Wanted to keep them protected from getting rubbed off by luggage. Ran the wires through available holes. Did not solder but did shrink wrap connections.

Very happy.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I hated the dark trunk. Performed the led upgrade as outlined in previous postings. Did not check the voltage. Been very happy with the results so far, about 2 months.

http://www.autozone.com/lighting-led-and-neon/led-lighting/alpena-flexled-light/60060_0_0/

Bought these at autozone for $16. Layed them perpendicular to the trunk opening, one just in front and one just behind the subwoofer. Wanted to keep them protected from getting rubbed off by luggage. Ran the wires through available holes. Did not solder but did shrink wrap connections.

Very happy.
Those are like what I used also, they are just to easy to instal to not do this mod.:rolleyes: as the factory trunk lighting is well....:confused:
Just test them where you want them, stick them and run the wires to the original light harness. No individual lights and extra wiring or gluing, super easy and clean instal. Use cut splice, t-tap, solder, shrink wrap...what ever your heart desires and you are done.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=402389&highlight=Trunk+light

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I've have had issues with blinking/flickering LEDs from SBL, but not on the little dots. Product quality is not consistent, although their return policy is pretty good.
Well I guess I must be a magnet for the bad ones. I ended up batting 0.667 (6 of 9) with these. Replaced the two blinkers with two new ones, only to find one of those blinked too :mad:. Replaced that one and now I finally have 6 installed that come on solid and stay solid (end result is awesome btw).
Confirmed they're bad by removing them and hooking them directly up to a 12 volt battery and watching them blink/flicker for the first 30 seconds up to a minute before staying on. Like an old fluorescent lamp with a bad ballast in slow motion.
Don't know if I'll bother returning these to SBL considering how cheap they are, but I won't be buying any more of these.

luomlds

TDI
2012 Passat
I recently worked with Herkguy on this. He did a great job installing my two trunk LED lights. My LED lights were from ebay, 4x3 rectangle grid, two of them. At night, the two LED show up great. The OEM, lower right trunk light is basically invisible.

Thanks again Herkguy.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Resurrecting an old thread. But all the previous posters went to a lot of trouble with as many as 5 different lights in the trunk. Having said that, times have changed and the light I installed in my trunk was probably not available then.
Wired into the original dim trunk light and ran one wire to the top of the trunk concealed as much as possible. Mounted the light with GORILLA double sided tape to the top. Cost for the light off eBay about $ 1.00 shipped and 20 minutes work to install. It is so bright in my trunk I could read there.

Last edited: