flares on first two shifts

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My 2015 sel dsg has 600 miles on it now. When it first showed signs of a problem was at 160 miles when it snatched, meaning hesitation then abrupt engagement. Now on the first two shifts it flares 100-150 rpm consistently.
My 2013 sel dsg is normal with no flare. Anyone have any idea what causes this? low fluid? sticky solenoids? clutch packs not worn in?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Flares a little in auto mode and kind of "bangs" the gears in manual. As well, my 2013 did not. My hope was that the DSG is still "learning".

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
There's a limit to DSG learning, IIRC.
Hopefully it's a simple software problem, possibly related to the emissions mods VAG hastily cobbled together.
Dealer visit recommended.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a limit to DSG learning, IIRC.
Hopefully it's a simple software problem, possibly related to the emissions mods VAG hastily cobbled together.
Dealer visit recommended.
Problem there is the problem we've all faced. Dealer tech drives it, beats the crap out of it, and says no problem found. Funny thing with mine is it doesn't do it every time.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Not sure what you mean about "flare"? I know how to flare a piece of tubing and when to flare when landing an airplane but I've never heard the word used in regards to a car transmission shifting, please illuminate me, thanks

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure what you mean about "flare"? I know how to flare a piece of tubing and when to flare when landing an airplane but I've never heard the word used in regards to a car transmission shifting, please illuminate me, thanks
When going from say first to second, but in my car mostly from second to third, instead of the RPM dropping when the shift happens, it will increase, and then drop. So say I'm at 1800rpm in second, and the car shifts to third, you would expect the rpm to drop to 1200 or so, but instead, it "flares" to 2000rpm, and then drops to 1200. Basically, like a true auto that is slipping between gears.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
OK, got it, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps "surges briefly" would be a better description. I haven't noticed it happening in our new 2015 SEL yet but I will be more attentive in the future.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Problem there is the problem we've all faced. Dealer tech drives it, beats the crap out of it, and says no problem found. Funny thing with mine is it doesn't do it every time.
I hear you. I've been lucky, with good techs/dealerships.

Early on, my 2009 JSW had DSG teething problems: when slowing to 5-9mph and applying very light throttle, DSG would violently drop into 1st, like a teenager learning to drive a manual, popping the clutch. Subsequent 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts would slam so violently, felt like I was getting rear-ended. It didn't do this all the time, but enough to be a concern

Dealer replaced the mechatronics unit, no questions asked.

So, the OP's issues could be a number of things: ECU emissions programming, defective clutch pack causing slipping, mechatronic unit (would a recalibration help?). Impossible to say with an online analysis.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The DSG will adapt and learn from its mistakes, but not adapt to your driving style. If you guys are experiencing abrupt shifts and/or flares between shifts, you would probably benefit from doing several WOT acceleration runs through 4th gear (higher than that and you're probably venturing into illegal speed territory).

If shifting doesn't improve, you may need to reset/calibrate the DSG with VCDS (just like you would after a fluid change).

If shifting behavior still doesn't improve, Volkswagen might have to take a look at it, although they'll probably tell you that it's operating as designed. :rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also the DSG of the 2015 isn't the same of the 2012-14's

Don't believe it has the hill decent feature that revs to 4K, it also has way lower gearing.

So far in the first 800 miles, no issues noted with RPM surge, do notice snappier shifts compared the 2012 and the Alltrack.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Also the DSG of the 2015 isn't the same of the 2012-14's

Don't believe it has the hill decent feature that revs to 4K, it also has way lower gearing.

So far in the first 800 miles, no issues noted with RPM surge, do notice snappier shifts compared the 2012 and the Alltrack.
Yes, I noticed exactly the same. Kind of miss the down hill jake brake.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my 13 is way to aggressive in downshifting into 3rd @ 50mph when coasting down a hill with the brakes on- as soon as those brake lights get lit up that silly dsg starts downshifting like I lost my brakes

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jrm...and if you were driving aggressively, you'd appreciate that downshift, not necessarily in a diesel, though.
Programmers can't please everyone.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I use the brakes to slow down, engine to speed up. I feel it shouldn't work the other way around.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I use the brakes to slow down, engine to speed up. I feel it shouldn't work the other way around.
When I was taught by a PROFESSIONAL driving school teacher on a manual car, back then only filthy rich had automatics. The rule of thumb was/is that whatever gear you shifted into going uphill, you also shifted into to go downhill.:D

My former 2002 Jetta TDI did not downshift, my Passat does sometimes. On my way home in the spring I encounter several mountainous highways where they even have "Emergency" lanes for vehicles where the brakes failed. I popped into 4th gear in manual and without ever touching the brakes I was still going over 80 Mph.

Last edited: