Steering Wheel Not Centered - Steering Angle Sensor - Ross Tech Adjustment

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Driving straight down road, I see the wheel slightly to left, about 1-2 degrees. Car does not pull or drift, just wheel off center.
With Ross Tech cable, it shows 0.0 to -1.49 degrees steering angle going straight down road. I think it varies due to road or small tolerance, but the wheel is always slight left of center. Note: Turn wheel further LEFT steering angle more positive, turn right more negative (at least at first)

When I turn wheel to be centered, car goes right slightly and steering angle sensor reads -2.97. So this means I need to adjust the angle +1.48 (or -1.48).

I'd like to electronically adjust out the small the steering wheel angle to be stright when going straight. I tried. Figure better ask first before I attempt this again, produce another error.

Using my Ross Tech cable I did the Steering Angle Sensor (Adjustment) drill
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60EC1)
Full right wheel, full left wheel, straight no more than 10mph or so... stop, keep engine running.
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
Reads 0.0 angle... great.

[Done, Go Back]

[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
(IT READS -1.49 but will not let me change it even thought "OK" is shown in green. So abort the attempt.)
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

In the process screwed up something, end up with a 00778 ESP error. :mad:
Driving did not clear code, scan showed 778 error that could not be cleared.
Shut everything off, did some research to try again.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00778

Come back, do whole drill again, see 0.0 in measure block.
In Basic settings Group 060 now reads 0.0.
I try to change nothing, since the goal was reset ESP error.
This time I backout program gracefully.
ESP error code clears, after driving a few feet. Yea.

Take for test drive, wheel still about same place as before.

QUESTIONS?
What do I need to do? Can Ross Tech cable fix off center wheel -OR-
Do I need to get it aligned at an alignment shop?
Car drives great, just the wheel is off center.

A year ago it was aligned when I swapped engines (suspension came out).
I had the slight off center wheel as now before swap. After it was straight!
However it is now back to slightly left of center again. Suggestions welcomed.

If the wheel is slightly left with a 0 to -1.49 reading what adjustment
angle do I enter. I may just have alignment checked...... Place that did
the alignment is close to the independant VW shop. They bring a lot of
VW's there all the time....

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Our cars basically have mechanical steering (rack & pinion) with electric assist. Our cars steering is not "drive by wire". If the steering wheel is not straight when the car is going straight down a level road, the problem is mechanical not electrical. The proper way to fix this (IMHO) is to adjust the alignment. I do not believe that this is an issue best addressed with VCDS.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don nailed it. If the physical alignment is off, the the electronic part will be wrong.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Our cars basically have mechanical steering (rack & pinion) with electric assist. Our cars steering is not "drive by wire". If the steering wheel is not straight when the car is going straight down a level road, the problem is mechanical not electrical. The proper way to fix this (IMHO) is to adjust the alignment. I do not believe that this is an issue best addressed with VCDS.

Have Fun!

Don

+1

And since it's driving straight and only the wheel is off, I'd let it go. Unless you have a good alignment guy and most don't, you might get some amateur who will jack stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The small adjustment you are talking about can be done best at a reputable alignment shop. Adjusting one tie rod end in a turn or two and the other one out by the same. Tell them you want the sterling wheel straight, and make sure it tracks down the road straight when you test drive it.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
I took my car to get an alignment after installing my new suspension. The steering wheel was way left after and the car drifted off to the right. If I straightened the wheel, the car would nose dive into the right lane. Got it realigned the Next day at a different location, and the car tracks straight when holding the steering wheel straight. When you let steering wheel go, it slowly creeps right, I can live with this. But goes to show that the alignment being performed while the steering wheel is set to the centered position, will provide the desired results. I think the first guy had the wheel at 10 o'clock when he did the alignment. He was in a hurry to get home too.. He did my alignment in like 12minutes.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
To all above thanks, you guys are the best... no nonsense answers....
Virtual beers or tasty beverage of your choice all around on me.

I guess the steering position & steering full wheel full lock sensors must work with the brakes or electronic traction control....

Think I'll follow the "ain’t broke don't fix it" motto.... however I do miss having the wheel straight like it was before. It is tracking so nice, hate to mess it up... just rotated tires as well, Michelin’s are wearing like champs; at 26K they are only half worn.

Last edited:

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
If your car is tracking straight when you aren't touching the wheel, and the wheel is slightly off. You can remove the steering wheel, then place it back on straight by making sure the splines slide in a few notches over from where it was. I've heard of a few people who did that.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If your car is tracking straight when you aren't touching the wheel, and the wheel is slightly off. You can remove the steering wheel, then place it back on straight by making sure the splines slide in a few notches over from where it was. I've heard of a few people who did that.
Bad idea!

I personally installed a scirocco steering wheel in my car. I accidently installed it one spline off and quickly found that it was a LOT more then the 1.5 degrees off that the op is seeing. Here's a picture of what it looked like one spline off:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2015-01-24_14_54_46.jpg

I'll echo the above posters said, get a alignment to get it fixed properly.