Trade-in values these days?

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
What are you guys being offered for ballpark trade-in values? Including mileage and year and any cosmetic damage based on your trade-in value offered, just trying to gather some ideas on what to expect.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A trade-in number is tough to use for reference because most often available discounts on the new vehicle affect the "number" you get for the trade. Usually a trade in offer is considerably higher than what a dealer will offer to pay for a vehicle outright.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
A trade-in number is tough to use for reference because most often available discounts on the new vehicle affect the "number" you get for the trade. Usually a trade in offer is considerably higher than what a dealer will offer to pay for a vehicle outright.

Fair call. So do you believe I should get it appraised at CarMax to have a good idea on what to expect?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Fair call. So do you believe I should get it appraised at CarMax to have a good idea on what to expect?
Carmax will usually be auction minus $600 or so...usually among the lowest number you will get...
Would be a decent data point, but a dealer who MIGHT want to retail it may give you a bit more....
Since the final $$$l in a trade/new car deal only matters, I might be inclined to use a car buying service like truecar.com to price the new car, knowing the likely trade value you are given will be the auction price since so little $$ is getting made on the new car ..then be prepared to sell it private party...might get the dealer to give you slightly more if they want it to retail.....

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
I just feel that selling it private party for a car like this will be too much trouble for what it's worth.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
What did you end up trading it in for krebsy75?

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I got $18,500 for a 2012 Jetta sedan, premium with Nav & sunroof with 46k miles on it trading for my wagon.
Ended up with 0.9% . In reality my payments went down $20.00 and added 1 more year with VW Credit. (in 07/14 )

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Those rims came off my '14 Golf that I bought last year. I ended up putting a set of 17" Superturismos on that.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
I love these cars. I especially like the headroom. I hate how headroom has been reduced in the 2015s. I also like cars in the last year of a run. They have the least bugs and u can get them for a great price.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I love these cars. I especially like the headroom. I hate how headroom has been reduced in the 2015s. I also like cars in the last year of a run. They have the least bugs and u can get them for a great price.
This!

Even with a sunroof my golf has way more headroom then many other cars I've been in.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
This!

Even with a sunroof my golf has way more headroom then many other cars I've been in.

In every other VW my head touches the ceiling. Really annoying. I'm only 6'3" but my torso is long.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
If you really want to know, get a 1 week subscription to Galves. This is the "blue book" reference 95% of dealers use when estimating trade in values.

Tec80

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Dealer gave me $12750 for my 2010 JSW with 61k, despite a previous deer collision history (no structural damage).

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I bought mine in August 2014, after the 15s had arrived. I liked what I was hearing about the 2015s, but at the end of the day, I got a nice price on the 14 and thought about the potential bugs in the new factory/line. Also, I liked the idea of getting one the last of the wolfsburg golfs.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
No plan on trading mine with 125K, i would like to get 200K plus out of it. But it is good to see what others are seeing for values.

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
I got 6500 CAD for my 2010 Highline fully loaded with 278804km. Blackbook (Canada....) quoted 2500 - 5500CAD... I saw the car a couple of weeks later on autotrader.ca for 8895CAD +tx

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
Keep in mind there's going to be a wide range in trade in value for the exact same car. It depends on so many factors... the demand for Golf/TDIs where your dealer is located (this can make a big difference in my experience), the dealer's current used car inventory, etc. But in reality a trade in value is only one part of the deal. The dealer may sense a TDI driver is really concerned about the trade in value and "wow" him with a padded trade, but then ding him on the purchase price of the new car. Other people who are more concerned about the purchase price may sit there and negotiate all day, only to get less on the trade. The dealer looks at the transaction as a whole, and we'll be wise to do the same.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I received $14,000 a month ago. Dealer started at $11,000. Vehicle was a 2011, 42,000 miles with a stick and no options: no NAV, sunroof, etc. Did have rubber mats, cargo area protector, clear bra, and Dieselgeek skid plate. A friend at the dealer was going to take the skid plate off for a buddy. :D

I had an offer of $14,800 from another dealer that started at $11,500, and an offer of $14,500 from a third dealer.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
I bet mine will be a bit lower since I have rear fender paint issues resulting from running an aggressive offset on my car lol BBS CH's on +35 offset will do that somehow, even on 225's.

No.2

TDI
2009 JSW
I went to a dealer by me in NJ just last week and was shocked at how little they said my 2009 JSW TDI was worth.

It is stick shift and has zero damage and 96K miles. They said they could give me $6500:eek:

Maybe im wrong but with just browsing other dealers inventory and private sellers I thought id have no problem getting 10K for a trade in.:confused:

obviously walked out of the dealer and am going to try another. Im looking to trade for a 2011+ gasser jetta or passat BTW.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I went to a dealer by me in NJ just last week and was shocked at how little they said my 2009 JSW TDI was worth.
It is stick shift and has zero damage and 96K miles. They said they could give me $6500:eek:
Maybe im wrong but with just browsing other dealers inventory and private sellers I thought id have no problem getting 10K for a trade in.:confused:
obviously walked out of the dealer and am going to try another. Im looking to trade for a 2011+ gasser jetta or passat BTW.
That's NJ for you. May want to try a dealer in Philly if you keep getting lowballed in NJ.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm shopping my 2011 TDI these days, 135k km. Highline, manual, with nav. Minor rust spot on rear wheel arch. One dealer offered me $10.5k CDN, the other $11k CDN, both against a 2015 Golf TSI Trendline. On the fence whether to trade or keep. As some know my TDI has been fairly troublesome. I now only drive 18-20k km a year so a TSI makes more sense, my wife's TDI wagon is the main road trip car.