Emission software letter?

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
Just curious if anyone received the letter about the ECU software upgrade so that the cars emissions are good. What exactly are they going to do with this software upgrade and has anyone else received a letter?

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
I got one of these. Don't think I can update due to the tune. I always tell the dealer not to load anything.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
I just received this letter today as well. I haven't been to the dealer to deal with it though.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
I just got this today for my 2010 as well. A little late considering my car has already had a DPF replacement and an exhaust flap replacement. At least I didn't pay for them. There's a cost reimbursement form attached to it as well.

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Got one as well, will wait to see if anyone else gets it done, don't plan on having my car at the dealer ever again if i can help it.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
I am just going to ignore it if I get one... I do have to go to the dealer for a
key... I have already had two updates, and the 2nd one dropped my MPGs,
so I am leery about having them mess with emissions parameters.
Yeah,I got my letter and an holding of as well.
I'm thinking it's more frequent regeneration cycles.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Got mine today as well. Not going in for it.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Already had it done at the dealership last week.

So far no noticeable change in fuel economy, and it actually seems alittle peppier.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Definitely not getting mine done. I did the update for the Passat a while back but my JSW is never going to the dealer again if I can help it...

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
Got the letter saturday. Haven't scheduled anything yet.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I've heard rumblings about a rear suspension recall/tsb. Has anyone received a letter regarding this yet? I've been having issues with my rear suspension and I am beginning to suspect I need an alignment/new bushings or maybe the tsb if it exists...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Already had it done at the dealership last week.
So far no noticeable change in fuel economy
, and it actually seems alittle peppier.

Same here. Also a "banjo bolt" - associated with turbo oil return line - was leaking. Replaced with seal. N/C. Cool.

ez (plan monitor fuel economy for any change)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard rumblings about a rear suspension recall/tsb. Has anyone received a letter regarding this yet? I've been having issues with my rear suspension and I am beginning to suspect I need an alignment/new bushings or maybe the tsb if it exists...
I believe the tsb is just on the jetta, which lacks IRS.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
I had it done at noon today. 5 mile drive back to work - nothing seems any different.
I called 3 service departments today and at each one was told the same thing. I was told it has nothing to do with "mini regens" or regens at all. I was told that this is merely for warm and cold starts and the glow cycle. Also one dealership said it may limit boost until the engine reaches operating temp, which isn't a bad idea. Also "turns down the sensitivity" (layman terms) on some sensors which were throwing MILs when nothing was actually wrong.

Again just what I was told today via 3 VW service departments.

I am still waiting to see more data from people who have it done, but I will probably take my car in next week for the update.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my experience the service departments don't have a clue. If you are planning to go stage 2 soon(based on sig), why bother. I avoid the the dealers whenever possible.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I got my letter today. NO update for me. Car runs awesome. 15k miles = 42.3 mpg average. Best 50.3 mpg.

cspradlin

TDI
2014 JSW TDI Premium w/ Nav PANO
Had it done the day after receiving the letter. Last Wednesday, specifically. Stock tune. Like several others have said, I haven't noticed any major differences aside from it "feeling peppier". Seat-of-the-pants feeling, maybe it's placebo, I don't know. I just know it feels like it's a bit happier when I first start out in the mornings. Economy is up about 2MPG but the average temperature has also gone up to around 60F being the lowest temperature during the day or night, which I suspect might have more to do with it.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I dunno: powerstrokes are happier at 215 f , but NOX goes up sharply.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
Just received mine just now, didn't say anything about needing to be done to obtain certification to get inspected, threw it in the garbage immediately.

Yelper

TDI
2013 Golf 4D
Are people just being risk-averse because there's no "first-hand" knowledge about this, or are people just scared of trusting VW? I understand the Malone stuff, but should there be any reason for a stock car to worry? Seems rather overwrought to me..

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Yelper and all,

For me, the retune (did beginning of last month, way before the letters) after an EGR Valve replacement has made the car run like crap. It goes back in today to have "another" VW tune put in.

Follow-up report pending.

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
Got mine yesterday...glad I didn't get a tune yet.

I'm still nursing an insufficient egr flow code which comes and goes fairly regularly and is "believed" to be caused by a cracked DPF. The fact that it clears itself has me questioning the cause... I mean does an EGR filter really unclog itself especially if the a cracked DPF continues to allow particulate through?

I'm kind of hoping this may fix or at least minimize throwing the EGR flow code.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
Got mine yesterday...glad I didn't get a tune yet.

I'm still nursing an insufficient egr flow code which comes and goes fairly regularly and is "believed" to be caused by a cracked DPF. The fact that it clears itself has me questioning the cause... I mean does an EGR filter really unclog itself especially if the a cracked DPF continues to allow particulate through?

I'm kind of hoping this may fix or at least minimize throwing the EGR flow code.
I have the same issue, the dealer said they checked the DPF and there was no soot in the connection (however there is definitely soot in my tailpipe) and that I have a cracked EGR pipe instead. If I clear the code, it stays off for a few months.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
i'm ignoring it unless we get some stronger evidence than "feels peppier" :rolleyes: