40K TDI / DSG Maintenance Cost?

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The oil in a diesel is black the second you pour it in. I did my 40K service this morning (it's raining so I'll rotate the tires later) and the oil was black when I checked the level. I know I put the right stuff in.

The fuel filter change is a lillte messy, but nothing about the service was difficult or even that time consuming. I drained the oil from underneath so I could inspect all the hoses etc.

I used my VCDS to prime the fuel system, but I'm not sure that it was totally needed. Regular maintenance is a totally doable DIY job. I personally coudn't imagine paying someone else big $$$ to do it.
+1000! I got the VCDS cable and ordered the DSG fluid/filter and a fuel filter from idparts for $140. The cable already paid for itself! Not to mention turning off the annoying seatbelt chime, disabling the DRL's and enabling the remote to roll up/down all the windows when locking/unlocking.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Local dealer told me the 40,000 service would cost me around $1,000.

I'll get the DSG done elsewhere (trusted mechanic's list) and do the fuel filter myself....with a little help from a local buddy. I figure it should cost me between $300-$400 for the DSG.

As for the rest, I can check fluid levels, battery, etc myself.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
Wow you guys are getting ripped off! I just picked mine up from the 40k service and it totaled out to $495.00 with a 10% discount.
Esserman International VW, pm me if you want my sa's contact info.

elverde

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thought i'd toss in my 2 cents since I just had this done about a month ago.

Dealer quoted just over of $700 for the service, which was considerably more than I expected. I had previously been told $429 for the 40k service, but had not been informed about the $299 for the DSG service.

Luckily I know the service guy pretty well from my carefree maintenance, and had actually given him a few things for his Jetta I decided I wasn't going to use for my Golf.

He worked with me very fairly, applied as many coupons as he could and ended up performing the whole service (40k plus DSG, including all of the misc. "checks" I really didn't want to pay for) for $500 even. His name is Sal at Cardinale Way in Corona, and while I wouldn't expect him to give this price again, he is a very nice, reasonable guy to deal with.

With that being said, I will be ordering my very own VCDS going forward, which will more than pay for itself for fuel filter/dsg services.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
It's 525.00 for 40K and DSG at my local dealer.

That being said I did it myself for 200. 325 saved for about 6 hours of time was worth it.

I will be doing the 50K in the next couple weekends. Not much to it though. I still have to look and see what all is needed. So oil change...$40 and whatever else is needed for the 50K.

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
Just got my 40k done (manual trans) for right at $300, from German Car Depot in SoFla.

dookie

TDI
MkVI JSW
+1000! I got the VCDS cable and ordered the DSG fluid/filter and a fuel filter from idparts for $140.
[Pardon the novice question, but isn't the costly part of VCDS the software? What good is the a la carte cable?]

Never mind... I see the software is free. But I also see the cable at way more than your $140 number (or was that just the fluid /filters)?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Pardon the novice question, but isn't the costly part of VCDS the software? What good is the a la carte cable?
The software is available for download from Ross-Tech... however, it requires a hardware "key" that's built into the authentic Ross-Tech VCDS cable...

Yuri

blackflagmn

TDI
2012 Golf TDi with tech package
DSG maintenance schedule

I don't know if this applies to all years of the MKVI, but I was told by my service agent last visit that the DSG has had it's maintenance schedule changed. It's now 50k instead of 40k. Not a huge difference, but probably good to know for some of you who want to wait instead of doing it at 40k.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I don't know if this applies to all years of the MKVI, but I was told by my service agent last visit that the DSG has had it's maintenance schedule changed. It's now 50k instead of 40k. Not a huge difference, but probably good to know for some of you who want to wait instead of doing it at 40k.
It doesn't apply to any MK6s. Some dealers just do that because the 40K is so expensive if you do the DSG at the same time. The service interval has not changed and is still 40K. Your dealer just isn't very bright.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I was told by my service agent last visit that the DSG has had it's maintenance schedule changed. It's now 50k instead of 40k.
Ask to see this in writing - on official VW stationary... Otherwise, this bit of advice isn't worth the paper it isn't written upon...

Yuri.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I wish there wasn't such a variation in price between dealers on 40k service - I mean, why on earth is it around $500 for some dealers and $1000 for others? it's insane. My dealer quoted me $850

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You have to be careful that the "40k service" includes the DSG service. when I checked locally, it did not.

there is a Jetta 40k service, and the DSG service,

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I paid 375$ with tax for my complete 40k mile service... DSG, oil change, fuel filter, cabin and air intake filters.

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
I asked the service advisor about the 40K service cost when I took the car in for 36K service and he told me the new DSG service cycle is at 50K based on a service bulletin issued by VWoA. For some reason I had a hard time accepting that, so I called customer care and was told to follow the service advisor’s suggestion so I worded the question a different way. I simply asked will VWoA honor the warranty if I follow the service advisor’s suggestion and there is DSG failure? She hesitated and so I asked for a formal response via email. The short version is that after a couple of emails back and forth they backed away from their initial stance and suggested that I stick to the maintenance schedule as per Owner’s manual. Don’t get me wrong, VW has been very good to us. We currently have a 2010, and 2011 Diesel in our household, but the change in their position on the maintenance schedule seemed a little odd.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
What is the DSG scheduled service in Canada. I wonder is it 60,000km or 65000?

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
I asked the service advisor about the 40K service cost when I took the car in for 36K service and he told me the new DSG service cycle is at 50K based on a service bulletin issued by VWoA. F
I would trust what that dealer says about....not at all. (Hint: Mk6 has no "36k service", all maintenance is at 10k intervals.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
40,000 miles = 64,000 km. Canadians are getting ripped of again.

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
That's why I did mine at 68000 km. Figured there was some flexibility built into the system. I paid $420 CDN. for DSG only, had the other stuff (including brake bleed) done earlier in the year for $319.

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
+1000! I got the VCDS cable and ordered the DSG fluid/filter and a fuel filter from idparts for $140. The cable already paid for itself! Not to mention turning off the annoying seatbelt chime, disabling the DRL's and enabling the remote to roll up/down all the windows when locking/unlocking.
Why would you disable the DRLs? Best safety feature yet—saved me big time once. Just curious.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I paid 375$ with tax for my complete 40k mile service... DSG, oil change, fuel filter, cabin and air intake filters.
I want to know where in PA also... I just turned down paying $560 for just the DSG service from Ourisman in Jessup. I'm now planning on using an independent for that, unless your dealer is close to me :)