Brake Lamp Failure - What Do I Buy?

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
The brake lamp on the passenger's side failed on my wife's '10 JSW. What lamp do I need to buy at the auto parts store to replace it with? There's no lamp chart in the Owner's Manual -- just a warning that all lamps should be replaced by an authorized Dealer. :confused: Am I missing something here?

I removed the interior access cover and I think I see two finger grips that when pinched, look to remove the entire multi-lamp assembly. Is this right?

I'd like to buy a replacement lamp rather than remove the assembly, remove the lamp, look at the P/N, put the dead lamp back in place, put the asembly back in place, drive to the auto parts store and then repeat the process again to install the new lamp. Thank you!

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
The brake lamp on the passenger's side failed on my wife's '10 JSW. What lamp do I need to buy at the auto parts store to replace it with? There's no lamp chart in the Owner's Manual -- just a warning that all lamps should be replaced by an authorized Dealer. :confused: Am I missing something here?

I removed the interior access cover and I think I see two finger grips that when pinched, look to remove the entire multi-lamp assembly. Is this right?

I'd like to buy a replacement lamp rather than remove the assembly, remove the lamp, look at the P/N, put the dead lamp back in place, put the asembly back in place, drive to the auto parts store and then repeat the process again to install the new lamp. Thank you!
Why don't you drive to the auto parts store and have them look it up or just remove the dead bulb while parked in their parking lot and ask for a replacement?

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Any reason why you don't have the dealer do it? Are you out of warranty, or is the dealer out of the way?

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all -- yep motoblue the Sylvania 7506LL at Advance Auto is my best bet and the lamp fixture pulled out easy without a hitch.

A round trip to the Dealer is a one hour endeavor in traffic, so is something to be avoided. We'd probably burn more diesel than the lamp sells for. <g> I like to know what's up before going to the parts store so that I'm not fooled into buying something that's not right -- the "we're out of stock on what you need, but this will fit" sort of sale where I leave with a 7W lamp and a 21W is what's needed.

I have a family, so the hatch gets used a lot, but the lamp assembly is not in the hatch. It'll be interesting to see if it's mate fails soon.

Thanks everyone. Gotta keep the family safe -- wanted to get this fixed ASAP.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I've blown two brake light bulbs in about four months on my Jetta. I can't remember ever blowing a bulb in my Tundra (130K miles). What's up with that? It freaks me out, because the Popo are EVERYWHERE these days, collecting revenue. Don't need to give them yet another opportunity to want to visit with me...

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
BMW and VW bulbs of old were made in Germany. I can't say what is in there now, but I would be curious.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Don't you know it's a special bulb, only available from the dealer? You need Vag Com to release the bulb, insert the new one...holding the brake pedal to warm it to the appropriate temp. I also recommend some bulb additive....

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW and VW bulbs of old were made in Germany. I can't say what is in there now, but I would be curious.
The factory lamp that I removed was a Philips brand. I replaced it with a Sylvania, as that's the only brand Advance Auto had. They also stocked a series of Sylvania lamps that cost $9.99/2 Ea that were of some super bright design. I didn't buy them, instead choosing the LL "Long Life" series for $5.99/2 Ea.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Don't you know it's a special bulb, only available from the dealer? You need Vag Com to release the bulb, insert the new one...holding the brake pedal to warm it to the appropriate temp. I also recommend some bulb additive....
Don't forget to code the new bulb to the ECU, otherwise, it might cause the engine to stumble, the HPFP to fail catastrophically and the panoramic roof to leak on a sunny day.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks StaceyS. I did of course wear gloves so as not to touch the lamp's glass, but it had the additional benefit of not leaving telltale fingerprints anywhere on the lamp assembly. Being as the Owner's Manual expressly states to go to the Dealer for lamp replacement, I figure my Dealer might later dust the lamp fixture for prints. :)

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
The factory lamp that I removed was a Philips brand. I replaced it with a Sylvania, as that's the only brand Advance Auto had. They also stocked a series of Sylvania lamps that cost $9.99/2 Ea that were of some super bright design. I didn't buy them, instead choosing the LL "Long Life" series for $5.99/2 Ea.
If I am not mistaken, that Phillips may in fact be 'Euro' sourced.

Are the 'pegs' not aligned?

I'd bet that they are alinged across from each other on the Sylvania.

No worries either way, but 7506 is not OE but Universal.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
If I am not mistaken, that Phillips may in fact be 'Euro' sourced.

Are the 'pegs' not aligned?

I'd bet that they are alinged across from each other on the Sylvania.

No worries either way, but 7506 is not OE but Universal.
The pegs on the Sylvania are 180 Deg. apart, just like the Philips original.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I've blown two brake light bulbs in about four months on my Jetta. I can't remember ever blowing a bulb in my Tundra (130K miles). What's up with that? It freaks me out, because the Popo are EVERYWHERE these days, collecting revenue. Don't need to give them yet another opportunity to want to visit with me...
I'd say get used to it. Our 05.5 went through more bulbs than all the cars I've owned combined

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I have a quick question. Smacked into giant pothole and out went one of my tail lights. Yellow dash alert. Wife confirmed break light out. I Remembered this thread and went to look at the assembly. I see the two tabs on sides, but there is a cross piece on the bottom. I think that's the turn signal bulb on that section. Seems stuck or attached. Is the a release on the bottom, or just the two side release tabs and wiggle it out. It's on driver's side and there is some kind of brace in the way so it's an odd angle. When I pulled on assembly top came out easy but bottom seemed attached. Thought I'd ask before pulling on something i shouldn't and breaking something and voiding my warranty;)

Last edited:

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Must be something about VWs and blowing bulbs. My dad's 01 Jetta TDI practically blew a bulb per month.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Seriously? The dealer will replace bulbs when under warranty ?
I wasn't even going to asK. Suspect they might try charge me an hour min rate or something, just for asking. But do take that part number from earlier in post. I went to Carquest (not in stock, but took 5 min looking up) and Autozone couldn't find wagon. The Golf bulbs are completely different. I told the guy just give me the number I brought into store. Worked perfectly.

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Any reason why you don't have the dealer do it? Are you out of warranty, or is the dealer out of the way?
Bulbs are considered consumables and aren't covered under warranty.. If one blew in the first few days of ownership they might do it as a good faith gesture, but it's not a warranty item. Same with wiper blades, brakes, windshields, etc..

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Ah so when they say maintenance free for 39k miles that isn't exactly true is it :)
You just have to read the fine print on your sales documents and then there will be no confusion. It's all spelled out there as to what they do and don't cover under "maintenance free" and under "warranty". :)

Cincojoe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
You just have to read the fine print on your sales documents and then there will be no confusion. It's all spelled out there as to what they do and don't cover under "maintenance free" and under "warranty". :)
I know, I'm only kidding.

Danjtdi

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Brake bulb type for Jetta Sportwagen 2011

The bulb is P21W, Bridge Auto Parts has it listed as P21WLLB2 ( 2 bulb package) for $ 2.99

Conceptually removing the bulb is a bit tricky, once you figure it out, it is very easy. Disconnect the wire harness pinching the 2 releases at the same time. Then find the release on the plastic assembly which holds all 4 bulbs and carefully pull it out of its cage. Need to angle it to get it out and put it back.
The assembly holds 4 bulbs, 3 or the bulbs are P21W type.
Hope this helps.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
they are just dumb bulbs, mine has munched both license bulbs but no others. probably just a question of cheap factory bulbs. I, mistakenly thinking my triumph took "special" bulbs hit a dealer when I lost a headlight, they hooked me up, reasonable price, and for a bonus sent me on my way with a fingerprint on the bulb, it exploded within 20 minutes and left a sulfur looking haze all through my headligh housing. awesome. changed out with an h4 sans finger print, its been good for almost a decade and 40000 miles, lightbulbs are funny like that, tiny manufacturing inconsistencies drastically affect lifespan. I would say if you look at your bulb and the glass is dark, you may want to go ahead and change it out.