Dealer says EGR and DPF need replaced...

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I had the same problem recently (but with 70k miles on it) dealer tells me it's a cracked EGR pipe though and not covered under warranty. $550 to fix. May just do the DPF delete instead.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
A tune and the gutting of this emissions crap should get you passed pretty much any emissions check.....
These engines, the CR engines are cleaner with all of this stuff removed and the engine ecu flashed than a car with a fully emission's 1Z/ALH engine from 96-03. If cleanliness is part of the reason you purchased one of these comparing this setup like I describe I would not give a second thought to getting rid of that crap!
And with a tune to remove all those wasteful after stroke injections it can run on high %'s of BD, maybe even B100 if you wish.
And if you drive it right afterwords you should see from 5-15 mpgs better than before getting well above the 50 to even 60 mpgUS mark tank after tank.....
Running b100 on a common rail isn't recommend...

Good read on the subject:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284919

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Aye
All the parts are off the car and in a box already.
FYI, Barry and I reached an agreement over a week ago for the purchase of my parts. I'm removing my DPF and ERG's tomorrow and everything will be in a box ready to ship.

I'm installing my midpipe/downpipe and race pipe this weekend and my ECU gets a reflash on Friday. I'm really looking forward to the update.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Running b100 on a common rail isn't recommend...
Good read on the subject:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284919
While there are other issues for sure in running high %'s of BD in a CR, in any diesel engine the real show stopper so far has been the after stroke fueling to make the current emissions crap function which has proved to dilute engine oils. Diluted engine oils means shorter service lives of that oil, which increases costs of operation........

Remove that stuff you can program out the after stroke fueling removing that issue from the equation......

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
FYI, Barry and I reached an agreement over a week ago for the purchase of my parts. I'm removing my DPF and ERG's tomorrow and everything will be in a box ready to ship.

I'm installing my midpipe/downpipe and race pipe this weekend and my ECU gets a reflash on Friday. I'm really looking forward to the update.
Awesome! You're going to love the car.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
While there are other issues for sure in running high %'s of BD in a CR, in any diesel engine the real show stopper so far has been the after stroke fueling to make the current emissions crap function which has proved to dilute engine oils. Diluted engine oils means shorter service lives of that oil, which increases costs of operation........
Remove that stuff you can program out the after stroke fueling removing that issue from the equation......
I agree with you on most points. The main issue that's been discussed is deposits in the injectors caused by first gen biodiesel in high concentrations. These deposits over time will eventually clog the injectors. I'm pretty sure that was a CR diesel that I saw cutaways of after biodiesel was used for a extended period.

Newer biodiesel (Gen 2), which is more then likely called something else, is moleculary the same as diesel and there's been reports from CR tdi owners having great success running it.

Last edited:

fragormortis

TDI
2010 Jetta
I recently did a DPF/EGR delete and tune and below is my input to this thread:
Prior to doing the delete my DPF failed and I was ready to sell this car (I'm a diesel advocate but the downstream emissions controls make the CR and many other diesels a ticking failure timebomb with major $$$ repair costs).
I had Sal from S&P automotive near Chattanooga TN do the delete and tune (Malone). Great work and great tune very satisfied and would recommend if your near Sal's area.
Increased performance and increased MPG (~5-7 mpg). Diesel smell is now very strong and always prevelant so not sure if that factors into your emissions inspections (my state doesn't require inspections).
I'm enjoying the car again and have no reservations about doing the delete.
I'm not a hyper miler but I'm super concisous of mpg (that's why I bought this car) but I find it difficult to believe statements of 55 mpg some folks are claiming. Don't get me wrong the car can do it (flat roads driving 60 mpg 6th gear it's no problem) but those claims are not averages unless you drive lots of miles on flat at 60mph. I average 48 mpg after the delete and my habits are conservative in the pedal with 90 miles commute (round trip) half city half country. 75 mph on interstate gets about 43 mpg.
My two cents on the DPF delete heck yes do it or else be prepared to replace the DPF again down the road.

VdubbG

TDI
10 SW TDI
So what does the DPF delete run without the Malone software? I have Malone and I can vouch for Sal. Great guy.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well, my replacement parts are on order. Much thanks to Perry01 for a smoooooth transaction. Question, with a tune and DPF delete or gut, and EGR bypass, can you pass a emission sniff test. I am not asking about the visual, just the sniff.

Thanks,
Barry

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Well, my replacement parts are on order. Much thanks to Perry01 for a smoooooth transaction. Question, with a tune and DPF delete or gut, and EGR bypass, can you pass a emission sniff test. I am not asking about the visual, just the sniff.

Thanks,
Barry
My guess is probably , yes. Wouldn't bank on it though. If you do have a sniff test, make sure the car is good and warmed up first. The emissions are way lower once warmed up.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
Wen I purchased the straight pipe for my DPF delete, I had to acknowledge that it would NOT pass emissions testing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Thanks,
Barry
http://www.deq.state.va.us/Programs/AirCheckVirginia.aspx

most places do not actually sample exhaust. modern emissions equipment is tested by the engine controllers on a regular basis. this is why the cars have an OBD connector in the first place, to allow the emissions test stations to communicate with the car's computer.

with deleted components, as discussed elsewhere here, there will be a noticable diesel exhaust smell, which would be a clue for any one checking emissions. also some visible smoke under certain conditions.

personally, I am a fan of properly operating emissions equipment, since I remember what certain metro areas were like before it became possible to limit these emissions.

that being said, it is possible to find an inspection station which is not so interested in enforcement. so it is possible to get registered without the equipment operating, but doing so will, in some cases, leave you still subject to random tests, and the possibility that the next time you will not be so lucky. there also would be the concern when you come on time to sell the car, there could be an issue to worry about.
(not looking for an argument, just sharing my impression)

I share the issue you have, with an 09, with the expensive, combined DPF/DOC/NOX cat. mine is just sooting up, but i, like you, found a used set from a later model year, and will be ready when the time comes.

I have been told that it is around a 3 hour book job to do the change, so while this is not optimum, the fix is around $1100 or so. I plan to do the work myself when the time comes.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
but if you did have to have exhaust sampled, without the cats and DPF installed and working you would fail particulates, hydrocarbons, and NOX. those parts are on the car in the first place because they reduce emissions to specified levels required by law for the model year.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I understand that. Wondering what's it's costs for the parts to delete DPF and egr?

http://dieseldubs.com/epages/34a903...-878b-4f62-bbfe-116c3f42b6af/Categories/15/17

depends on what you want. several options. $800 to $1500 plus tax and shipping.

but while discussing this, lets remember site policy.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396162

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
but if you did have to have exhaust sampled, without the cats and DPF installed and working you would fail particulates, hydrocarbons, and NOX. those parts are on the car in the first place because they reduce emissions to specified levels required by law for the model year.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The acceptable emissions limits are not vehicle specific. I think it's very possible, dare I say probable, that you could pass the test. The actual emissions limits may vary from state to state, I don't know.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I drive 110 miles+ round trip to work 5 days per week, then my personal driving. Would REALLY like to have 55-60mpg as that's what others are claiming. Sounds like it is far too iffy to dive into based on where I live. Ugh.

Thanks for the response, very much appreciate the information.

Barry

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're welcome. I think we would all like 55-60 mpg. But a more realistic expectation with a delete would be 50 mpg. It's probably wise to hold off until you get a better handle on exactly what kind of testing diesel vehicles are subjected to in your area.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The acceptable emissions limits are not vehicle specific. I think it's very possible, dare I say probable, that you could pass the test. The actual emissions limits may vary from state to state, I don't know.
You have a point. (to a point)

the emissions levels are set as corporate sales fleet averages. enforcement does vary by state, and by locations within a state. these areas and tests are influenced by the measured overall air quality in the specific area. (and lets be honest, to some extent, the political climate within a state)

the question where to set a specific tailpipe test emission level for a specific vehicle is a bit of a puzzle, and an academic one at that today. one of the reasons that the enforcement has moved for the most part to talking to the car's computer, and asking how it feels today. These tests are focused on making sure the equipment installed on the vehicle are still there and working as designed. I think this was also the focus of the tailpipe emissions tests; identify cars with failed components or emissions systems, and motivate owners to get the cars repaired.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah. I have heard of people going so far as to register their vehicle in a state without testing. Maine tried testing in the southern part of the state several years back. It was so incredibly unpopular, they had to abandon it.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just did a readiness test via OBDII port and my car with DPF and EGR delete would fail if I had emissions testing in my state. It shows EGR not installed.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup. I think testing via OBD is more commonly used than analyzing exhaust gasses with a sniff test. Should definitely be taken into consideration before deleting components.

BarryB

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
You're welcome. I think we would all like 55-60 mpg. But a more realistic expectation with a delete would be 50 mpg. It's probably wise to hold off until you get a better handle on exactly what kind of testing diesel vehicles are subjected to in your area.
I'm getting mid to upper 40s now. Coming home today 55 miles of highway and a little city driving, I got 46mpg avg by the dash computer.

Yesterday I was hovering at 36-38avg mpg.

Go figure....

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'm getting mid to upper 40s now. Coming home today 55 miles of highway and a little city driving, I got 46mpg avg by the dash computer.

Yesterday I was hovering at 36-38avg mpg.

Go figure....
I think what you're looking at with this variance is the regeneration cycle. If you're looking at the trip computer only (that resets after two hours) you will see a lower MPG because more fuel is being used for your regen. The times that you see the higher MPG is a trip where there was no regen. Both these factors into the overall MPG for the tank.

This isn't meant to take away from any of the analysis of your fault code or other problems you've identified. I just wanted to explain a little of why you see it changing. If your car is doing a longer regen or doing them more frequent because of the problems with the DEF then that could be why you see such a dramatic change.