Winter Tires : Nokian vs Gislaved

tele

TDI
2010 JSW
i just bought some Artics and the tread pattern seems very very similar to the Nokians. I have some Hakka 5s for our other car and will take pics after I pick up the new Generals.

ChuChu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Anyone getting the General Altimax Arctic's studded? I'm thinking of going this route but curious how noisy they are.

Swatch

Veteran Member
TDI
BUYBACK : Golf Sportwagen TDi 2010
I just looked at some more tire reviews and it looks like the General Altimax Actic is the same tire as the Nokian Hakkapeliita 5. yet sold at half the price.
Is it the same company? Something like Michelin and Uniroyal?
If this is true, it's a great information to know!
By the way, the Pirelli the tire guy suggested me was a "ice control" and don't think i'm goona go with that.
So the Gislaved is still my choice for now but General Altimax Actic might be a good choice if it's really a Nokian Hakka 5 because it would be cheapper thant the Gislaved!

EDIT: I Don't think the General Altimax Actic is the same tire as Nokian Hakka 5 because the Nokian is 91T (190 km/h) and the General is 91Q (160 kmh).

Last edited:

Swatch

Veteran Member
TDI
BUYBACK : Golf Sportwagen TDi 2010
Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Would you say that the Nord frost 5 is better than Nord Frost 3/General Artic or pretty much the same thing?

EDIT : in fact, I already know that the Nord Forst 5 is a 94T and General Artic is 91Q (for my wheels) and 91Q is too low.
Have not driven either one, but looking at photos, I'd guess the 3 is better in deep powder snow and the 5 is better on ice. That's based on the lugs and channels and amount of the tire made up of siped treadblocks.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Anyone getting the General Altimax Arctic's studded? I'm thinking of going this route but curious how noisy they are.
No, I'm leaving mine un-studded. Studs improve traction on ice, but are worse in every other way, according to my research. Studs make a tire noisier, worse traction on dry roads, and possibly worse in snowy conditions. For the conditions I drive in here in Rochester, NY, the studs would hurt me more than they would help.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I seem to recall during my research for winters that the issue with Blizzacks are the "sipes", those thin slits in the tread only go down half way (unlike X-ice's) and once they wear traction is reduced significantly.

...not really. Blizzaks... remember there are 2 families of Blizzaks (for cars), their "Studless Snow/Ice" (WS) and "Performance Winter" (LM). (there is MZ, for special sizes though)

LM does not equal WS and vice versa.

Blizzak WS series features a multicell tube compound for the first approximately 60% of the tread depth. Once the the multicell tube compound is worn, then the harder compound is exposed & traction is reduced significantly.

Then again, no magazine runs tests with aged & worn (50% or more worn) winter tires, as all winter tires as the wear do decrease in performance. All the magazine & TireRack tests are done with brand new tires, when they are at optimal performance

.......back to OP
...the only Nokian tire I have used are the Hakka RSI. The only "Gislaved" tire I ran was General Arctic Altimax.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
It would be interesting to find out if while these tires look the same, the rubber compound is different (causing the price diff.)

My Hakkepalitta Q"s seem ok. Nokian won't give me an answer on start tread depth and what replacement tread depth is (I've asked this questions and others of their US support person, and rarely get a decent...or even informed... answer).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Usually there is a second wear bar on winter tires that denote even though they are not even close to 2/32" of tread left, they should still be replaced for maximum traction in snow.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
It would be interesting to find out if while these tires look the same, the rubber compound is different (causing the price diff.)

My Hakkepalitta Q"s seem ok. Nokian won't give me an answer on start tread depth and what replacement tread depth is (I've asked this questions and others of their US support person, and rarely get a decent...or even informed... answer).
basically less than 4mm tread depth is when they are toast, based on the DSI (Q's may not have DSI though)

Also, another clue is... when the tire is worn so much, there is very little to no siping left

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
When they feel all greasy like crummy all-season tires, they are done. It's a subjective thing.

TDI
2010 VW Sportwagen TDI 6M
Just ordered a set of Nokian Hakkepalitta R (205 55 R16) for my '10 JSW. I found that the dealer closest to work had the best deal, prices varied by over $100. The tires should be in next week, but I'm going to hold off on having them mounted on the TDI for 4-6 weeks. I hope Minneapolis gets some snow this winter to justify the expense.

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Had those on a Saab 9000t. Could plow snow with em. Was 15 years ago. Not sure there isn't some new lates greatest tech.

Marisa05MKIV

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
How many miles did people get out of the General Arctics aka Gislaved Nordfrost 3?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
How many miles did people get out of the General Arctics aka Gislaved Nordfrost 3?
I put a new set on my B4 Passat last fall. I drove 5072 miles on them. Mostly city miles and I drive hard. They started at 10 mil and the fronts were at 7 and the rears at 8 when I took them off. It was a mild winter and there were lots of bare roads. I got 22k on the last set. They were at 3-4 mil when I replaced them. A couple snowy winters in there. I think if you drive like a normal person (I don't) you can expect 20-25k from a set. I might add, I turned a set of Blizzaks into slicks in a little over 10k miles. My wife got 30k from a set.

Marisa05MKIV

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Thanks. I see some people claim 60k, I got mine with 12/32.

Last edited:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I have one were I got 5 seasons on front, move to the back and still great for that ( got a flat in 2011 so that's why it is one, had to replace)General Altimax Artics