Emission software letter?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
ATR... Yep, only in cold engine, light throttle situations. But It happened to me already once after the ecu update
NOW after a couple more days of driving, the stumble is scarce. Could be the warmer weather. Won't know until it gets cold again!?!
-Dubstrom

I got my letter a while back and just received a lovely phone call from my local dealership Service department. Saying VW has two recalls on my car that are safety related and to bring it in to take care of them free of charge. The ecu update and the misfuel adapter.. I politely said no thank you, I do not want them :) lol she was like uhhh.. OK.. Well have a wonderful day Aaron
I only opted for the ecu update. The "misfuel adapter" is not safety related. No orange warning signs around my fuel tank nozzle port please:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I guess I got mine done. Didn't get a letter but I took it for it's 30,000 mile check and they told me (after the fact) they did an ECU change 'due to recall'. I swear it runs better than ever, smoother, shifts better!!, and is quicker.
May be in my head but I'm far from the "they did something so it must be better" type.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Had mine done this past week. Seems smoother, but I never had any real issues, except the lurching in 1st gear when having a cold start. I'll pay a little more attention to see if that has been fixed.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
It has been about 3 weeks now since I had the update. I seem to notice more low end torque esp in 2nd gear, BUT I think it's because there are more regens occurring than before the update. When idling, I noticed the rpms are a bit higher more often which typically indicates a regen. So far the fans, after turning off the vehicle, only came on once since the update. I seem to recall this happening more frequently before the update.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Had ours done. I am not the usual driver of it so I am not sure but it seems to not go into 6th gear as early as it used to, waits for a higher speed to shift up.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I noticed that the "shift up" indicator is right on point now. Before the update it would tell me you up shift way too soon. Post update it seems to do a good job based on engine load on when to shift up & down. I assume that they may have also tweaked the shift points for the DSG as well.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I noticed that the "shift up" indicator is right on point now. Before the update it would tell me you up shift way too soon. Post update it seems to do a good job based on engine load on when to shift up & down. I assume that they may have also tweaked the shift points for the DSG as well.
You are definitely more in tune with your car than I am. I never look at the indicator (manual transmission), I used the old words of wisdom of some of the olds experts here when I had my ALH:

"Shift at 3k, Shift at 3k, Shift at 3k - makes for a happy TDI , with the occasional shift at 4k :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
You are definitely more in tune with your car than I am. I never look at the indicator (manual transmission), I used the old words of wisdom of some of the olds experts here when I had my ALH:

"Shift at 3k, Shift at 3k, Shift at 3k - makes for a happy TDI , with the occasional shift at 4k :D
Shoot I typically shift at 2000-2500 if I'm not in a rush. Though I do make it a point to gun it twice a day when getting on the highway. I notice the shift light since I have polar FIS installed as I like to keep a eye on the EGTs.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
No shift light on our manual JSWs. I like that. The shift light would annoy me.
It's not a "light" per say... more of a indicator as to what gear the car is in and if you should up/down shift via arrows. It sounds like a bigger deal then it is.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
Mine is annoying me because it seems to want me to shift into 6th at 35pmh. Is there any way to turn it off?

I have searched high and low to turn it off (I've learned to just ignore it but it drives my wife nuts). I've looked through VCDS with a fine tooth comb and Google with no success. I'm hoping it can be tuned out when I get it Malone'd.

I seem to have the polar opposite opinion of the recent update compared to other people. I've noticed a loss in power, EXTENDED regen times (I'm talking 20mins - really worried about cooking my turbo now) and zero change to the shift indicator - it still wants me to be in 6th when I'm in 4th.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mine is annoying me because it seems to want me to shift into 6th at 35pmh. Is there any way to turn it off?
If you haven't already gotten the update from your local dealer go get it done (which appears to fix this minor annoyance along with a host of other small issues).

you could always try a small piece of electrical tape to cover the shifter light ;)

jpulls11

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDi
If you haven't already gotten the update from your local dealer go get it done (which appears to fix this minor annoyance along with a host of other small issues).

you could always try a small piece of electrical tape to cover the shifter light ;)

I got my update done 2 weeks ago, and it seems to have a bit more get up and go. I accidentally chirped the tires getting into traffic from a turn today. As for the tape, I am just going to learn to pretend it is not there haha.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have searched high and low to turn it off (I've learned to just ignore it but it drives my wife nuts). I've looked through VCDS with a fine tooth comb and Google with no success. I'm hoping it can be tuned out when I get it Malone'd.

I seem to have the polar opposite opinion of the recent update compared to other people. I've noticed a loss in power, EXTENDED regen times (I'm talking 20mins - really worried about cooking my turbo now) and zero change to the shift indicator - it still wants me to be in 6th when I'm in 4th.
I wonder if they could have screwed up the update somehow?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
i have searched high and low to turn it off (i've learned to just ignore it but it drives my wife nuts). I've looked through vcds with a fine tooth comb and google with no success. I'm hoping it can be tuned out when i get it malone'd.
I seem to have the polar opposite opinion of the recent update compared to other people. I've noticed a loss in power, extended regen times (i'm talking 20mins - really worried about cooking my turbo now) and zero change to the shift indicator - it still wants me to be in 6th when i'm in 4th.
It can indeed be turned off when you get a Malone tune :cool:

As for the extended regen cycles I've noticed that too *sometimes*. Some regens take 20 or so minutes to complete. Your computer may think that the DPF has a lot of soot in it that needs to be turned to ash.

How many miles are on your car?

i got my update done 2 weeks ago, and it seems to have a bit more get up and go. I accidentally chirped the tires getting into traffic from a turn today. As for the tape, i am just going to learn to pretend it is not there haha.
I think that there is a small bump in power because I'm also noticing a little bit of a boost. I haven't really felt the need to ring it out as much as I used to. normal shifts are 1800-2200 rpm and aggressive are 2500-3000 rpm.

I don't recall ever redlining tach since I found after 3krpm it seems to run out of puff.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Update successful

I had my update done a couple of weeks ago. The car definitely runs smoother, especially during the warmup light load phase where there used to be hesitations, and I haven't seen a downside yet. I've got an EGT gage, and have not noticed additional DPF regenerations. Fuel economy also seems unaffected.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've also noticed that the EGTs don't spike up to 1500F like it did before the update. I might see it blink up to 1400 or so for a split second then it'll settle down to 1200-1300 during a regen.

FWIW I'm using a polarfis MFD to monitor temps.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
I've also noticed that the EGTs don't spike up to 1500F like it did before the update. I might see it blink up to 1400 or so for a split second then it'll settle down to 1200-1300 during a regen.
Now that you mention it, I would agree that peak temps are lower than before the update. My gauge is the one made by P3Cars, and fits in the left vent.

jpulls11

TDI
It can indeed be turned off when you get a Malone tune :cool:

As for the extended regen cycles I've noticed that too *sometimes*. Some regens take 20 or so minutes to complete. Your computer may think that the DPF has a lot of soot in it that needs to be turned to ash.

How many miles are on your car?

I think that there is a small bump in power because I'm also noticing a little bit of a boost. I haven't really felt the need to ring it out as much as I used to. normal shifts are 1800-2200 rpm and aggressive are 2500-3000 rpm.

I don't recall ever redlining tach since I found after 3krpm it seems to run out of puff.

This is my first TDI, it is 3 weeks old, I was guilty of listening to the shift indicator. I am glad now, after some reading that i dont, I would constantly shift when it said to and be stuttering around at 1k rpms. After reading to keep it around 2-2.5k for better MPG, I can get 500 or so miles to a tank with mixed driving. Got to love the forums! :D :D :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
This is my first TDI, it is 3 weeks old, I was guilty of listening to the shift indicator. I am glad now, after some reading that i dont, I would constantly shift when it said to and be stuttering around at 1k rpms. After reading to keep it around 2-2.5k for better MPG, I can get 500 or so miles to a tank with mixed driving. Got to love the forums! :D :D :D
Under very light load or coasting putting around at idle to 1200 rpm is fine. but if you need to accelerate at any kind of decent speed you gotta get the engine in boost which is at least 1700rpm. I typically can't shift into 6th gear unless I'm going around 55 or 60mph since I have lots of hills to contend with. Under most loads I like to keep the RPMs at no less then 1500rpm. Seems to keep the car happiest there.

Good rule of thumb I've found is under normal driving
1st -> 2nd @ 10mph
2nd -> 3rd @ 20mph
3rd -> 4th @ 30mph
4th -> 5th @ 40mph
5th -> 6th @ 55mph

I've gotten many 600+ mile tanks and I may actually be on my first 700 mile tank :eek: :cool:

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
Under very light load or coasting putting around at idle to 1200 rpm is fine. but if you need to accelerate at any kind of decent speed you gotta get the engine in boost which is at least 1700rpm. I typically can't shift into 6th gear unless I'm going around 55 or 60mph since I have lots of hills to contend with. Under most loads I like to keep the RPMs at no less then 1500rpm. Seems to keep the car happiest there.
This mirrors my experience exactly! 1200 rpm okay for very light load, no acceleration, 1500 rpm is fine for cruising 55-60 with hills. My old ALH would groan or resonate at 1500 under load, this car is fine with it. But the ALH torque peak was 1900 rpm, this one is 1750, so it seems they shifted the power band down slightly.
I've got 21k miles on my car, have gotten close to 700 miles per tank a couple of times, cumulative mileage since new is 47.8 mpg. Where I live there are a lot of two lane 55 mph roads with little traffic and no stop lights, and my trips are almost never less than 10 miles. That's huge for mileage.

jpulls11

TDI

Good rule of thumb I've found is under normal driving
1st -> 2nd @ 10mph
2nd -> 3rd @ 20mph
3rd -> 4th @ 30mph
4th -> 5th @ 40mph
5th -> 6th @ 55mph

I've gotten many 600+ mile tanks and I may actually be on my first 700 mile tank :eek: :cool:

This is what ive been doing cruise around town in 4th at about 40mph, usually dont use 6th unless im on the highway.

I was on my way to a 700 mile tank, however, highway traffic changed that for me on my last road trip.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
More power?

2012 JSW TDI w/6 speed manual gearbox.

my daily commute is 32 miles of highway.

Set cruise on 70 (which my gps says is actually 73mph)

previous 50K miles the tach sat dead on 2000 rpms

post emissions flash the tach now sits at 1900 rpms. (as close as i can figure with the tach markings ).... I can completely see the 2000 mark with a little space so possibly 1850 rpm?

the car also seems to have more power at lower revs..like pulling out with the AC running and or slightly lugging the engine in city traffic. The amount of throttle i am having to use for steady state driving has definitely been reduced.

anyone with the dash monitor see any difference in boost pressure after the flash?

My seat of the pants feeling is they gave us a little something extra with this one.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Once a year I drive the same 1004 mile round trip from Seattle Washington to Boise Idaho and back. It is a freeway drive where I average ~70 MPH. The 23O6 ECM software update was performed 700 miles before this year's trip.

Last year "before" the 23O6 ECM software update I averaged 43.34 MPG
This year "after" the 23O6 ECM software update I averaged 42.19 MPG

I do not know if the software update is responsible for the decreased MPG but I was surprised at the 1.15 MPG difference which is about 2.6% lower MPG since the update.

I sometimes experience stumbling under light throttle while the TDI is warming up which I did not notice before the software update.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
With all of the variables involved, that 1.15mpg difference means nothing. A slight difference in wind direction is all it would take, ambient temperature, tire pressure, your fueling accuracy, etc.....

5mpg difference, and maybe we could suggest there was something going on. But not 1mpg.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
... EXTENDED regen times (I'm talking 20mins - really worried about cooking my turbo now) .....

those extended times with the elevated exhaust temps are focused on the sulfur.

if you watch DPF status on the PF03 or with a vcds, you can see a status of FF20 after the FF02 status is done. happens every 3 to 5 DPF regens.
this continues long after the measured and calculated soot readings are well reduced.

this is consistent with the description in the SSG page 71
http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/2-0-TDI-SSP.pdf

I was looking forward to seeing exactly what changed with the software update, but they do not call for it on my car.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
Wife's car is about the same, she says she notices no real change in smoothness or power, MPG's went really low (37's) she usually get 41-42 MPG's (hand calculated). I will finally drive it tomorrow, but I'm not expecting to see much of a difference. No regens as of yet, had it done on Wednesday June 10.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
We aren't seeing any change in mpg except plus one mpg which makes sense with temperatures rising this time of year. About 46 mpg at this time