Losing coolant and Intermittent Starting Issue 2002 1.9 TDI

toledo19tdi

TDI
02 Seat Toledo 1.9 TDI
Hello everyone

I purchased this car just over a week ago and although it drives very well and the engine pulls strongly through all gears I have noticed a couple of issues I would like to address. The Car as above is an 02 Toledo 1.9 TDI with the ASV engine.

Issue #1 == Losing a bit of coolant, every 2 -3 days the low coolant alert on the dash goes off, I top it back up and the warning light goes away until another 2-3 days. I am thinking of adding in some K-seal to fix this as I'm on a bit of a budget, thoughts on this?

Issue #2 == Now this has happened 3 times now and it has always been after the coolant level has dropped either just before I've topped it up, or just after. When I turn the key at first the engine cranks for only a second and then everything just halts, no cranking, no start motor nothing at all. I'm always able to get the car started I'm not sure which if any of the things I'm doing are helping but every time I have encountered this issue I have removed the key from the ignition, locked/unlocked the car, re-inserted the key (because I thought immobilizer possibly?) and tried starting again but this time with my foot on the clutch, the engine then starts like normal.

Any input on this will be very much appreciated