Gen 3, Phase 2 Fix

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I got a notice that phase 2 is available for my 2015 TDI. A day later, my local VW called to set up an appointment to have it fixed. I deferred for the time-being.

Evidently they replace the Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter in this fix assuming your car has enough miles on it. Mine is at 84K. Please tell me if I'm wrong here, but it seems clear to me that the entire emissions system is stressed more with the tightening of the tailpipe emissions. Considering anything to do with the emissions system is not a cheap fix, why would I rush to get phase 2 completed? The longer I wait, the longer the "new" equipment installed under Phase 2 will last.

The only negative I can think of is that I don't get the remainder of my settlement until I have Phase 2 completed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You're thinking isn't alone.

How many miles do you have on phase 1 fix? I'd say ride it out until you're first CEL and then have VW fix it with phase 2 and motor on.

Herationkane

TDI
2015 jetta sel
I took my 2015 jetta in for the 20k service and they said phase 2 is available. I dropped the car off on 05/04/18. They said it may be ready 05/10/18. As stated mine has just under 20,000 miles on it. They took the entire front end, wheel to wheel off the car, and from turbo back. They had 5 boxes of parts to put on the car, plus another software flash.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I took my 2015 jetta in for the 20k service and they said phase 2 is available. I dropped the car off on 05/04/18. They said it may be ready 05/10/18. As stated mine has just under 20,000 miles on it. They took the entire front end, wheel to wheel off the car, and from turbo back. They had 5 boxes of parts to put on the car, plus another software flash.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

I wonder why they did all that?

There is no need to remove the entire front end.

Herationkane

TDI
2015 jetta sel
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

I wonder why they did all that?

There is no need to remove the entire front end.

I don’t know and then don’t know. Mine was the 1st one for Gossett vw in Memphis, TN. I was told I would get another phase 2 update sometime after the car gets over 40,000 miles on it.?.?.?.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You're thinking isn't alone.

How many miles do you have on phase 1 fix? I'd say ride it out until you're first CEL and then have VW fix it with phase 2 and motor on.
I put 26K miles on car since I had the phase 1 fix (April 6, 2017). I had to use the Dieselgate warranty once due to an ad-blue pump failure in that timeframe.

As far as I can tell, the restitution amount was set when I had phase 1 done. I got 2/3 of that amount after phase 1 was completed and the remaining 1/3 is due after phase 2. I see nothing that says the 1/3 will dwindle as I keep accumulating mileage on the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Agreed on additional money on the table not changing. Just thinking of the abuse the emissions system has seen since phase 1 was performed.

I'd be curious at the next CEL and if VW would force the fix on you.

If you don't need the cash, wait for the miles to rack up, and hope the car doesn't get totaled.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well I had to contact a dealer to have the Phase 1 done. Guess I'll have to contact them now to see if Phase 2 is ready here too.