Any updates on 2014

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'm hoping the silence on this thread is because there are groups too busy coming up with proposals to be frittering away time posting.

Yeah, I'm an optimist.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Those that are thinking (even remotely) of organizing a TDIFest in an area, for 2014, 2015, or even 2016 feel free to start a new thread in this section. This why the future discussion section was created. There are a number of different groups and people out there that might be able to jump in and move this forward for this or future years.

If you would like more details, feel free to contact one of the previous organizers or myself for more details.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Those that are thinking (even remotely) of organizing a TDIFest in an area, for 2014, 2015, or even 2016 feel free to start a new thread in this section.....

I plan to...just as soon as some details/confirmations are made to VeeDub by people I put him in touch with. He asked I hold off on any formal announcement until a couple things solidify. I secretly have a good chunk of an event "planned" out and I believe a few locals willing to help with the cause already. I just want to say; Go Denver 2015! ;)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Pick 2014 location by mathamatical calculation, pick the spot nearest to the most TDIClub users. For once, try to include people.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Well maybe he missed the link in post 3.

Here's a crudely modified map to illustrate where/when the past fests have been. While "too much New England" has been a voiced complaint, I think folks have done not too bad of a job bouncing it around:

Here is another highlighting the interstates that go DIRECTLY to/through St. Louis Missouri:

All this is part of why I think the STL is an excellent candidate and it being here in 2014 would be a timely benefit to growing the event and reaching more and newer members of TDI club. It the 3rd farthest west ever and very very central to all of the US east of the Rockies. Where there are interstates there is population, and many many folks are near equidistant from Denver to DC, and Texas and Florida to St. Paul. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Here is another highlighting the interstates that go DIRECTLY to/through St. Louis Missouri:

All this is part of why I think the STL is an excellent candidate and it being here in 2014 would be a timely benefit to growing the event and reaching more and newer members of TDI club. It the 3rd farthest west ever and very very central to all of the US east of the Rockies. Where there are interstates there is population, and many many folks are near equidistant from Denver to DC, and Texas and Florida to St. Paul. :)
No direct through link to California so I guess I'm out. ;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, but that is not "direct" as I'd have to change Interstates! :D
The only ones he is showing as "direct" are 44, 55, 64, & 70. Of course if I limited myself to the smallest number of Interstates, then I could take 80 to the 55 junction then south to St. Louie.

BTW, old Route 66 is now roughly (West to East) I-10 to I-15 to I-40 to I-44 to I-55

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Ah, but that is not "direct" as I'd have to change Interstates! :D
Well that's your fault for living in California! You know how they like to make your life difficult. :p

then I could take 80 to the 55 junction then south to St. Louie.
BOR-ING! ;) Might as well make an epic scenic back route out of it! BTW, if you come in I-44, you don't even need to touch I-55, just take I-44 east and hang a left at State Highway 109 in Eureka and you're there. :D

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
STL makes sense, if you can't have the World Series Title the least we could do is have the 'Fest there :)

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The cards and red sox combined have won 5 of the last 10 world series... if cards fans are crying, I have no sympathy... try being a cubs fan... I have sympathy for them... all that aside, I think STL would be a wonderful place for TDIFest... ironically, the proposed location is less than a mile from my old house... I remember when there wasn't hardly anything in that area except a few housing subdivisions...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
We're just kiddin' around, captain. The Sox are a deserving team and I'm glad the City of Boston could get a nice pick-me-up after the tragedy earlier this year. :)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Is there a map of where the this web site users are? An equation would calculate the center by weighting the distances by user count. California for instance with it's many users would "pull" the center to it because it has weight, say a higher percentage. A math geek would do it before breakfast. This should be considered whenever the site is chosen, not the only factor, but over years it should grossly cover the most users. Other factors would be fun/family factor, facilities, and a few effs more.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A major problem is that the Location item is optional and would not work with fake locations. Fred would have to mandate everyone put in an actual physical location.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
At least it doesn't take us 95 years to win one in own stadium! :p
Other than Wrigley Field for the Cubbies (built 1914), no other stadium is even as close to being that old. The third oldest was built in 1962.
"According to current ownership, Fenway Park has at least another 40-50 years of structural durability in its current state, and they intend to use every one of them." So maybe one more World Series win and countless "Buckner" bobbles?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Is there a map of where the this web site users are? An equation would calculate the center by weighting the distances by user count. California for instance with it's many users would "pull" the center to it because it has weight, say a higher percentage. A math geek would do it before breakfast. This should be considered whenever the site is chosen, not the only factor, but over years it should grossly cover the most users. Other factors would be fun/family factor, facilities, and a few effs more.
I do like your Spock-like approach of thinking, ;) but the event planning is more organic than that; subject to motivation and opportunity and bandwagonism. I too would like to see that map of members but understand it cannot be scientific as romad has pointed out. At the moment, I feel I'm the biggest nut on this topic and have gathered some support on TDIFestSTL into the lead idea at this time. That's not to say someone more aggressive could still pull out California or Colorado and make that happen instead. A California Fest seems inevitable, but it just takes some motivated masochists to get together and make it happen. No reason that can't be you! :)