02 Jetta TDI died while driving. Won’t start back. Help?!

Wgarner1414

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta ALH
Okay guys I have went through literally hundreds of post today attempting to figure out my issue. I was coming home yesterday and she just died like you turned off the car. No noises or nothing. Car has 167k miles, 5 speed.I have checked codes with VCDS and had a P1561 and a 1562 code both in which are about the quantity adjuster. I replaced the seal on the injector pump about a month ago due to a leak and timed everything at that point. Car has ran fantastic since with no warning of a problem. I have fuel at injectors while turning the car over not pressurized but runs out all 4 injectors. Have check engine and glow plug lights so it’s not the 109 relay. I hear audible click on fuel shut of solenoid as well as 12+ volts on terminal. Timing belt is perfect no missing teeth and tensioned properly. A few bubbles in clear hose but same as been since owner the car since Jan 2013. ASV isn’t stuck did notice some wet oil residue in the hose though. Any advice on what might be my problem? I would like to get it back going as it’s my work/commuter car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Well, sounds like you've got many bases covered. You need fuel(check), compression(unlikely to be an issue), that leaves air. When my turbo died the compressor wheel split and blocked the intake so it couldn't get enough air to start, try pulling the intake pipe off the asv and see if it starts. If so look for the blockage.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
my first thought was "if you don't have pressureized fuel at the injectors, then you don't have fuel..."

If diesel ain't pressurized, it ain't doin' nothin'.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Good call, I missed that when I read the post. Yes, if your fuel is just dribbling out instead of squirting it's not going to do much.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Take the cover off the QA and see if it moves freely, if it's at all crunchy you've most likely got metal stuck on the induction coil causing binding...I've been stranded 4 hours from home, no clue what caused it, cleaned it and it fired up but still swapped for another used pump and it's been good for about 2 years, I did find a cam timing discrepancy when swapping the pump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wgarner1414

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta ALH
Thanks guys. I think it’s a fuel issue as well. I don’t have pressure at injectors as it just flows out when cracked. I’m going to check the quantity adjuster and see what I can find there. I will keep you posted.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Did you notice any, even minut loss of power prior to? Did your QA simply move? Were the bolts tight when you took the cover off to inspect?

When my car shut down, it stumbled once and I didn't think too much about it, then all of a sudden it lost power, threw a CEL and shut down. I could get mine to run barely and limped off the interstate to a gas station. No throttle response just a rough idle.

Have you cleared the codes to see what it does?

The IP does a self test when you turn the key on and part of that is a range sweep of the QA

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wgarner1414

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta ALH
Well I figured it out guys. Pulled the cover on the IP and cycled the key and quantity adjust didn’t move. Grabbed it by hand and broke it free and cycled key again everything moved smoothly. Put it all back together and she fired right up. Checked IP timing and injection quantity and everything is spot on. Must have gotten a piece of trash or something in it. Going to install new fuel lines as they are showing their age and do a liquid moly purge on the pump and injectors for good measure. Appreciate the help!