2008 Scoda Octavia 4x4 TDI (RRP)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4 TDI (RRP)

I bought a new car today :)

It's a Skoda Octy TDI 4x4 with rough road package, ie steel belly pan and some sturdy protective shields underneath the body and control arms and a bit more ground clearance. I think it's as tall as a Scout.
230k km, everything seems to be in good order I think.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed my Led spot lights today, they are mounted on a plate that's attached between the license plate and the bumper, that's the standard way of mounting auxiliary lights up here.
Normally there is a cross member behind the bumper but the Skoda has nothing, there's a huge gap to the beam so I used 8 M5 screws and nyloc nut with large washers, pretty sure it will do.
Did not notice that the first pic was so blurry, sorry for that. At that point the plate is mounted with 4 screws, then I put the remaining 4 through the license plate holder/frame and the light mounting plate.

Next pic is just a test how the lights looks, the plate is screwed with self tapping screws here, this was before pic 1:

Almost done, not wired in yet. Will probably have to add some support bars to the top of the lights.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
We just got back from a road trip, didn't take many pictures but got a few nice ones (of my car :cool:)

First trip with my new Octavia, went really well but the rough road package with added ride height and beefier suspension does make the suspension a bit too hard, especially with 17" wheels. I think I'll change to 16" next year.
I got 40 mpg on this trip, I think it's ok considering it's a 4x4 and the roads weren't flat.
It does regen pretty often, the PO had a very short commute and probably got a lot of interrupted regens. There's no DPF warning light lit so I hope it will be able to burn off enough ash eventually that I don't have to clean/replace the DPF.

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
That is awesome! Almost everything I want in a vehicle... Diesel engine, check.... manual transmission, check.... 4 wheel drive, check... good fuel economy, check.... interior room, check! what's not to love???

Why do the marketing geniuses in this country insist on pushing gas guzzling SUVs for soccer moms (no manual, no diesel, poor fuel economy) or little clown cars for teenagers (no diesel, no 4WD, no interior room) on consumers here.

If this type of car was available in the US, I would sell my 09 JSW TDI, 06 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Gas, and my 05.5 Jetta TDI in a heartbeat, and buy two of them!!!

Last edited:

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Would be a near perfect work car for me, if available.. ah well, time to load up the 4Runner. Out of curiosity: is it full time 4WD or switchable?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a full time 4wd, a 2nd generation Haldex. From 2009 and onwards they have Haldex gen 4 which is a proactive rather than reactive like the gen 2. That means that in my car, when starting from standstill, the front wheels have to slip before any power is transfered to the rear wheels, where as the gen 4 starts in 4wd mode.
I think that's how they work, but haven't researched it so I'm not 100% sure.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Swapped the spotlights to a led light bar, it's a 75w cree bar. Not as bright but better than with just the stock lights, that's for sure.
On our Golf I put a light bar inside the lower grille, on this I mounted it as high as possible.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Nice. I see you work in the center of town, lol. Keep the pictures coming!!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
That is awesome! Almost everything I want in a vehicle... Diesel engine, check.... manual transmission, check.... 4 wheel drive, check... good fuel economy, check.... interior room, check! what's not to love???

Why do the marketing geniuses in this country insist on pushing gas guzzling SUVs for soccer moms (no manual, no diesel, poor fuel economy) or little clown cars for teenagers (no diesel, no 4WD, no interior room) on consumers here.

If this type of car was available in the US, I would sell my 09 JSW TDI, 06 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Gas, and my 05.5 Jetta TDI in a heartbeat, and buy two of them!!!
It's not "marketing geniuses" who are responsible for those decisions. It's government that overregulates and taxes diesels and simple minded American buyers who think diesel engines are evil and prefer gasoline engines and electric go carts.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. I see you work in the center of town, lol. Keep the pictures coming!!
Yeah, I have a low-stress environment to work in! Unless you get wound up by having wolves and bear around you :D
I'm a forester, this was the scenery I got to spend my day in yesterday:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Yeah, I have a low-stress environment to work in! Unless you get wound up by having wolves and bear around you :D
I'm a forester, this was the scenery I got to spend my day in yesterday.
Nice...a little jealous of the scenery, but I don't envy the cold. I was sniveling this morning and it was only 2 centigrade. :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not that cold around here, maybe about -20C during the coldest period. Now it's just a few degrees below freezing, that's better than a few degrees above freezing because the air is drier. Good clothing is all it takes :)

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Mild.. -20C is our "normal" temperature December through mid March. -35C from time to time. Haven't seen -40C for a few years. January 2004 had four continuous days at -52C - no diesels running in that week. My dentist moved here from northern Sweden - said he was tired of the long nights in Winter back home (we're only 53N).

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, it is pretty mild which is nice, less work with heating and basically no risk of frostbite.
I grew up in the north, almost by the arctic circle and the winters up there are cold and dark. You really don't want to shut your car off during the day when it's below - 40c if there aren't any outlets nearby :)

But I am thinking of moving up there again, we've had lousy winters around here the last 5 years and I can't stand it. When it's too warm for snow it only rains and it is dark and moody week in and week out.
This year is different, we probably have a foot of snow by now. Looks promising!

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I wasn't happy with the mileage on this car it has the same engine as our Golf but obviously different drive train being a 4x4. It's also taller and it has rails on the roof so I knew it would use more fuel but lately I've been getting 6.7l/100km or about 36mpg when driving very carefully.
Today I checked the torsion value and it was -3.9 (or -3.7) so I adjusted it to 0.0, I hope that will increase the mileage. Haven't checked the torsion value on our Golf yet but it gets 46mpg without even trying so I hope to get at least over 40 with my Skoda now.
I also cleaned all the grounding points I could find, I have a 17911/P1503 fault code on it. It still charges the battery so I don't know what's wrong, I get over 14V over the battery with the engine running.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a broken wire in the harness from the alternator, about half-way to the engine bay fuse box. That also fixed another fault code that I noticed it had stored, I think it was a 01314.
I was eager to see what the adjusted torsion value led to so I fuelled up when the tank was half empty. Old mileage 6.7/100km, new mileage 6.1l/100km (39mpg?)!
That was after a road trip to Stockholm so mostly highway driving but also some rush hour traffic in the city.
It'll be interesting to follow up that during the winter.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I need more ground clearance!
The 4x4 system is quite handy, I can feel how it shifts more power to the rear axle sometimes if I go around a turn fast enough for the front end to loose grip. This happens way before the traction control system cuts power and starts braking. I haven't gotten stuck yet so I don't know how good or bad the system is in those situations, the net is full of people complaining that it's not a real 4wd. I'm happy with it so far!

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
How does that car compare to the Golf in size? The nose looks kind of like a Passat, but I am not sure what the back looks like.
I am trying to figure out what the equivalent VW model is.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
How does that car compare to the Golf in size? The nose looks kind of like a Passat, but I am not sure what the back looks like.
I am trying to figure out what the equivalent VW model is.
This generation of Octavia (MkII) is based on the MkV Golf wagon, same wheelbase and all. Cargo volume with the seats down is 1630L (1550L for the Golf). Škodas are always a bit roomier.
The current MkIII Octavia has a longer wheelbase than the Golf MkVII and therefore has more room in the back row and more cargo volume. (Golf wagon: 1620L, Octavia wagon: 1740L)