www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 20th, 2020, 17:17   #1906
shortydog

Nice Golf ��

Today I replaced the rear valance with the gti one. Unfortunately the muffler shop didn't have tips that fit the exhaust cut outs. The stock muffler was deleted.

Last edited by shortydog; June 20th, 2020 at 17:25.
shortydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 21:14   #1907
mayday_soc

TDI(s): Mk7 TDI SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzoe View Post
Cross post from the other forum... if I can get this thread to open in Tapatalk I'll add pictures, sometimes it opens, others times it doesn't...

Replaced engine and transmission mounts with 034 mounts, all new hardware. Got the wife to tighten bolts while I kept the engine/transmission in place. Found that out of the factory my transmission mount was slightly misaligned. That might explain why a dogbone insert gave me unbearable vibration... who knows? Anyway, engine mount is a little more annoying on a diesel, extra stuff in the way.

I also see why no one shows the TDI in their fitment guides. New engine mount is missing a mounting point for an existing bracket, but the bracket has 2 other mount points so is in no danger of moving around. The Superpro engine mount (which is no longer available) does show that mounting point but I don't think the TDI was on their fitment list either.

Blah blah blah... my stock mounts, once removed, could be flexed by hand which I assume isn't good. Went for a drive and it feels better going through the gears. I don't launch the car but getting a smooth start with low-medium throttle was easier.

MOST importantly to me, no noticeable difference in noise or vibration, even with the A/C on. Very happy that 034's claims held up in that regard. Their dogbone inserts will get installed in conjunction with the aluminum subframe, hopefully 2 weekends from now.
How can you tell if the transmission mount or subframe are slightly misaligned? I installed a power flex Diesel dog bone insert and my NVH is pretty bad now. I want to make sure everything is aligned correctly before I remove the insert due to nvh.
mayday_soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2020, 08:00   #1908
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

installed a Westfalia hitch.
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2020, 08:28   #1909
Cuzoe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK7 Golf S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday_soc View Post
How can you tell if the transmission mount or subframe are slightly misaligned? I installed a power flex Diesel dog bone insert and my NVH is pretty bad now. I want to make sure everything is aligned correctly before I remove the insert due to nvh.
I'm not sure how you would be able to tell if the subframe is mis-aligned outside of a good alignment shop not being able to get your measurements equal on both sides.

But the engine mount and transmission mount have alignment circles that should be centered in their view windows before tightening. Good conversation between myself and few others (WhyNotZoidberg in particular) in this thread on GolfMk7... following my install of the Powerflex Diesel Insert, I also thought the vibration was unacceptable, did not break in after several hundred miles.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...diesel.367536/

Also linked in that thread is this other thread about ensuring replacement mounts are aligned. Most of the DIY's in forums and Youtube neglect to mention the importance of proper mount alignment, if they mention it at all. This thread is somewhat long but has good info and a helpful video...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index....356688/page-3

You can check the engine mount viewing window and physical alignment without removing much (if anything) but you won't be able to see the alignment window of the transmission mount without removing the airbox/battery/battery tray. I think you can see the physical alignment of the transmission from below, but I didn't do that. I just removed the insert after some time due to crazy vibrations.
Cuzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:23   #1910
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fase2000TDI View Post
installed a Westfalia hitch.

You have fun removing the heat shielding for exhaust? How was clearance with the DEF tank on the passengers side?

The AT has dual exhuauts and even with dropping the rear hangers its was tight to get all those clips out.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2020, 18:23   #1911
fase2000TDI

Fuel Economy: 52, 45 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
You have fun removing the heat shielding for exhaust? How was clearance with the DEF tank on the passengers side?

The AT has dual exhuauts and even with dropping the rear hangers its was tight to get all those clips out.
On the GSW I didn't need to drop anything

Also, the trailer wiring for the AT is compatible with GSW TDI, even though its not listed
fase2000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:33   #1912
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Gave them both a good washing...

Old June 28th, 2020, 18:44   #1913
Nuje
Veteran Member

Damn - I like that Silk Blue!
(And the red looks pretty nice as well.)

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2020, 20:21   #1914
dwu.048

Fuel Economy: 6.0L/100km

Finally added my window spoilers. Didnt work with the original tape so I ended up using the 3M clear tape.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Old June 29th, 2020, 06:06   #1915
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks, me too. We were lucky to find a Tornado Red '15 locally to replace the totaled '01, which was the same color. The Mrs. loves it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Damn - I like that Silk Blue!
(And the red looks pretty nice as well.)
Old June 30th, 2020, 11:08   #1916
dwu.048

GTD badge was put on. Does anyone else know where to get the trunk logo and grille badge? Only place I can find them is in Europe.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Old June 30th, 2020, 17:18   #1917
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwu.048 View Post
Finally added my window spoilers. Didnt work with the original tape so I ended up using the 3M clear tape.
Are those OEM rear hatch side-spoiler, or was it one of the Chinese facsimiles?

The tape on mine (OEM) for the wagon was scary in how fast/well it stuck (and not too far from an order of magnitude more expensive than the Aliexpress Golf version; they didn't have any for the wagon when I was looking for them.)

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Old June 30th, 2020, 22:16   #1918
dwu.048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Are those OEM rear hatch side-spoiler, or was it one of the Chinese facsimiles?
The tape on mine (OEM) for the wagon was scary in how fast/well it stuck (and not too far from an order of magnitude more expensive than the Aliexpress Golf version; they didn't have any for the wagon when I was looking for them.)
Chinese ones. I am not too sure if they have OEM ones for the Golf as I believe the GTI has a different spoiler. Correct me if I am wrong. Was it a clear adhesive for your side-spoilers?
Old July 1st, 2020, 17:47   #1919
Nuje
Veteran Member

Yes, there was a clear adhesive in two parallel strips, with protective tape, on each side fairing with the OEM ones. Once I lightly placed them, I thought I'd try to get them more perfect....good ****ing luck! They were 99% good, so I can live with them.

I had bought some $20 knock-offs from AliX, and the came with "W3" double-sided tape - which kinda looks like 3M stuff. Red protective tape and grey sticky stuff...and it was applied....let's just say "not quite up to the same standards that VW had".

Old July 1st, 2020, 21:44   #1920
dwu.048

I find the tape they provide isn't always the strongest. I'm waiting for these to come in.

#Aliexpress C$ 66.78 22%OFF | Glossy Black / Carbon Fiber Look 2PCS Car Front Fog Light Lamp Eyebrow Eye Lid Wind Knife Cover For VW For Golf MK7 2014-2017
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dURB6Nu

I'm guessing I'll have to upgrade the tape.