www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 3rd, 2020, 10:33   #46
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_sky View Post
Just on VCDS, how do you check it manually? The belt is on there tight.
You have to set the mechanical timing by setting tdc, and the hole on the cam sprocket should line up with the hole behind it. It's easier than the older engines for sure!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old June 5th, 2020, 13:03   #47
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Great idea. I'm picking up a dolly end of the month, so I may take you up on that, just down I-70 past KC not too far for me. What do you charge to install a engine? Any re-builders around there in STL you trust?

It is 13.8 hr labor to R&R a BRM long block. We are $135/hr. The engine that is in the car may be able to be fixed, it may not. My first plan of attack would be to take the cam/lifters out, drop the oil pan, and that will at least let me see most of the engine to try and determine where that awful bad mechanical noise is coming from. I suspect (judging by the sound of it) it would be pretty obvious.

So long as the crank is good, and the cylinder walls are OK, you can pretty much just about overhaul that engine right in the car.
Old June 8th, 2020, 22:41   #48
Texas_sky
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: unknown at the time, waiting for engine swap

I'm sure you do good work but I don't think these cars are worth paying $135 per hr. I mean look at the value on these cars well under $5k. I'll keep looking around here or possibly consider going to Mexico or Dallas/Houston has good mechanics that are fair that I know of.

How much to swap a good used engine? Strait labor price by the job?
Texas_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:10   #49
oilhammer

Our shop is jammed full, so lots of people DO think it is worth it. I'm finishing up $3k worth of work on a 2000 Jetta with well over 200k miles on it right now. Doing another $2k worth of mostly elective work on a 2011 Sportwagon, plus we are replacing an engine in a Nissan Murano (used), an engine in a Chevrolet Captiva (new), and an Audi Q5 (new).
Old June 9th, 2020, 06:25   #50
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm sure you do good work but I don't think these cars are worth paying $135 per hr. I mean look at the value on these cars well under $5k. I'll keep looking around here or possibly consider going to Mexico or Dallas/Houston has good mechanics that are fair that I know of.

How much to swap a good used engine? Strait labor price by the job?
You get what you pay for. The shop I work at has a $80/hr shop rate in central Missouri. We mostly do trucks, but I'm the Volkswagen guy so we do them to.
There's another guy who is just down the road from us who charges around $50 an hour, but doesn't do diagnostics. He's just a parts changer.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old June 15th, 2020, 09:02   #51
TDICube
Veteran Member

Oil, Does your shop charge the actual amount of time that a job takes?
I remember some VW dealer service departments just use their "book labor charges" and the job takes less actual time.
Your timing belt replacement total price was a little bit cheaper then my mechanic on my 2006 Jetta TDI in Virginia and your labor rate was higher.
I was just curious,
TDICube
TDICube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2020, 09:42   #52
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICube View Post
Oil, Does your shop charge the actual amount of time that a job takes?
I remember some VW dealer service departments just use their "book labor charges" and the job takes less actual time.
Your timing belt replacement total price was a little bit cheaper then my mechanic on my 2006 Jetta TDI in Virginia and your labor rate was higher.
I was just curious,
TDICube
We use a somewhat flexible flat rate book time system, Alldata mainly, but we have Mitchell as a backup. It is not always bang on accurate, unfortunately. So as a tech, you win some you lose some. And honestly a lot of it comes back to the level of difficulty as well as what all you are doing to the car. It is an imperfect system, but we (especially me personally) try to be as fair as possible.

In most cases for what we tend to refer to as "gravy" jobs, it favors the technician. And in many of those cases, the charge to the customer is NOT the flat rate time. Instances of this would be brakes, oil changes, most filters, fluid changes, etc. The book time for the rear brake pads and rotors on a 4th gen Golf/Jetta is 1.6hr. Here that would come to $216...just for labor alone. We never charge that. We charge a base $99 per axle for the brakes. The techs get paid what the book time is, or close to it. Those times tend to get distilled down to averages for simplicity.

Something more involved, more technical, requiring more gray matter and special tools, tends to be charged more time, and rarely if ever gets reduced. So if a timing belt job that we would include a water pump, rollers, etc. on calls for 3.8hr, chances are we'll just charge a flat 4 hr.

Keep in mind, a tech can stack a lot of work up on one car. I can be draining the engine oil and transmission oil, both of which required racking the car and taking the shield off, while I am rotating the tires. I get paid for all three of those things separately, but I am doing them all at once. But we try and favor the customer whenever we can, too. Like if a car needs front brakes and one front hub bearing assembly, we know the brakes have to come apart on one side already to do that hub, so we usually won't charge the full amount...at least I don't.

I tend to be super detail oriented, OCD a bit, so often times BIG jobs may take me a while. The Audi Q5 I am replacing the engine on currently pays 13.3hr. That is what the customer will be charged. I will probably have closer to 16 in it. Because I spend time to fix any wire harness tape that has come loose, I clean the threads on any questionable fasteners or threaded holes in the body, I discharged the A/C rather than fight leaving the compressor attached while I R&R the engine, etc. It is just too big of a job to rush. Quality over quantity.

I just wish some of my coworkers did the same. Instead, they see a job time, and figure they HAVE to AT LEAST do it faster, regardless of if they've ever done the job before, then they fight and curse and break things, and have to play crisis manager going back together. That coolant flange that was not cleaned up and got stuck back on is now leaking, and it is buried in the bowels of the engine somewhere....
Old June 15th, 2020, 18:52   #53
narongc73
Veteran Member

Since you don't work on your own car, sell the darn thing. It's not worth the labor to fix it. You'll sleep much better at night. I would dump my BRM but I like a challenge.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2020, 22:38   #54
Texas_sky
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: unknown at the time, waiting for engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
Since you don't work on your own car, sell the darn thing. It's not worth the labor to fix it. You'll sleep much better at night. I would dump my BRM but I like a challenge.

Can't sell it, only has 144k package 2, mint interior because it came from Montana probably has something to do with it. Paid $3k so if I spend a little more to fix I'm still ok. I found a local VW AUDI shop SALTA that will look at it for free, they said they do a 1 hr inspection and then let you know from there what the cost will be, I'm running low on AAA tows so I'll wait to dolly it over in about 3 weeks when I get back into town. I do work on my own cars I just don't swap motors/transmissions do timing belts, diag or electrical work.

Last edited by Texas_sky; June 15th, 2020 at 22:44.
Texas_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2020, 10:48   #55
TDICube
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply Oil. One of my long-time trusted mechanics is way up front. If he says a car component needs replacing, it needs replacing. I appreciate the honesty.
One reason I asked you that question; I was wondering about the DSG oil replacement charges.
My new go to VW mechanic is about half the price of my old mechanic on a DSG change.
Is that because the old mechanic charged drain time while car was on a lift?
Did the new mechanic have a vacuum or pressurized oil change system to reduce lift time?
I remember one VW mechanic saying that the timing belt change parts on my 2006 Jetta VW TDI were more expensive then his next GTI timing belt replacement but the GTI was a harder job. Both job costs were about the same after labor.

Thanks for all your information,
TDICube

Last edited by TDICube; June 16th, 2020 at 10:51.
Old June 16th, 2020, 13:51   #56
oilhammer

The 02E DSG has several applications... the draining and filling process is the same, however some cars have more involved lower shields/braces/plates to deal with, some cars require the air filter be removed for filter access, some require battery and battery tray be removed, some cars there is literally nothing in the way of the filter at all. So book time would always depend on the application, but in the case of the BRM, it is not too bad. Easy splash shield, air cleaner needs to come out but that is pretty easy.

Still, book time for just the DSG filter is 1.5 hr. Which is ridiculous, but that is the published (Alldata) time. Fluid is another .5... so according to Alldata (who "says" gets all their info directly from the manufacturer), the labor time alone for a DSG service would be 2 hours...add in retail price of a filter, o-ring, and 4.5L of fluid, and you can see how the cost of this one service *could* be quite expensive. I think we do something like $250 total for all the 02Es' fluid/filter services, regardless of application. Again, win some, lose some. A 2015 CVCA (TDI) Beetle Convertible, for instance, calls for 1.7hr on the filter, and 1.1hr for the fluid. That car needs the air cleaner, battery, battery tray, all removed, AND since it is a 'vert, it has the extra metal bracing underneath with 12 different fasteners (that is ALWAYS mashed and twisted up). I'd make time on the BRM.... not necessarily on the CVCA 'vert. And I think it is just an hour (part of that $250) we charge and I get paid.
Old June 16th, 2020, 17:59   #57
TDICube
Veteran Member

Oil,
Thanks for the information.
That is about what I paid at my current independent for a DSG service. Where I previously lived, two shops quoted me $400 and $450.
I am still amazed how well the 06 TDI Jetta drives. In a lot of ways our 06 is nicer then our 17 Jetta SE 1.4l.

TDICube

Last edited by TDICube; June 16th, 2020 at 18:09.
Old June 17th, 2020, 03:33   #58
oilhammer

Well the 2006 Jetta is still a "real" Ax platform car... meaning, it is still a sedan version of the Golf. The 2017 is the NCS, and is a much cheapened platform.

There is a reason why the base price of a 2010 Jetta was around $20k and the base price of a 2011 Jetta was less than $15k. And it wasn't just the engine.

Granted, some of the cheapening gradually went away going forward, and depending on trim/engine choice some were not as bad to begin with.
Old June 18th, 2020, 19:35   #59
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

Oilhammer,

Does your shop work on cars with EGR deletes, DPF deletes, etc? Need some work done on my Mercedes CDI sometime in the near future.
MrBigTruck is online now   Reply With Quote