YDI Passat Wagon 1996 Wagon 1st owner for sale, needs brake job.

TDI
Passat TDI 1996 (B4)
TDI Passat Wagon 1996 Wagon 1st owner for sale, needs brake job.

TDI 131749 miles , 2nd timing belt (OK!), good engine.
typical tornado red paint issues (clear coat started to give way last year, no rust because of that), some rust at right door and front fenders. Clean inside. AC working, skyroof (working).
Issues: brakes need new break lines, cylinder and other parts (caliper?),
Two front tires need to be replaced (EOL).
Left front window mechanic needs replacement. Older exhaust system (but functional atm).

Please note, this car will need repair to pass MA inspection.
It is at a repair shop atm, and would need to be towed (brakes).
I kept the car so long, because I really like(d) to drive the car (before the brake issue last week) as it has very good diesel consumption, zippy handling etc.

I sell the car for parts (or repair) for best price. if there is interest, I will spend more time posting current pictures etc.
I will sell this week.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
A red B4V? In for pics... especially if no rust and really 130k miles!!!

TDI
Passat TDI 1996 (B4)
additional information some pictures

I walked by the repair shop this morning to snap a few pictures.
The actual odometer is at 131749 miles (see pic.)

I added the pictures here, as it does not seem to be possible for my user to post attachments:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=10474
Please note, that it has been cold in Natick/MA today so you see a mostly frosted car.
I took some close ups on the issues at the door and the two fenders, so you can see what this is about.

My issue is, that the repair show owner would require me to tow the car away from his lot after two days, so I need to decide quickly. He graciously (?) offered to buy the car (to fix it and sell it), but I wanted to get your opinion about fair market value and wonder if someone would commit to a purchase offer.

I should add, that I look for best offer.

Last edited:
TDI
Passat TDI 1996 (B4)
the underside

I am not aware on additional issues here. To my knowledge nothing structural. As I am not interested to tow the car away from the repair shop without a buyers commitment (and I agree that a commitment at this time would not be reasonable to expect), I will have to let the car go at a bargain. Assuming the rust situation is exactly the spots I have documented how much would you think the car is worth? I have seen the blue book price for a car that is issue-free and that was around 1000 USD. I am basically not clear if the Diesel demand in USA has changed significantly due to the VW scandal. The car model is rare, and could be restored to something that would last a long time, but it would need investment. The current estimate I got was:

Rear Brakes Including Bearings $700

Metal Brake Lines $300
Rt Rear Brake Caliper $300
@ Front Tires w/ Front End Alignment $360

Mass Inspection $35

That is more than its blue book value, whatever it is worth.
However if you like the car model ... it is very rare, and finding one with a good engine is probably difficult, too ... so for the fan, the value is higher than blue book.

At the end of today, I will have to state the decision to the repair shop owner.
If the TDI community here would indicate a potential fair price of 2000-3000 USD, I would obviously hesitate to basically give it away, but for 700-1000 USD it is not worth the troubles. Any calls?