Clean Diesel DPF Data Collection Thread

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Comments: VCDS says my car has consumed 29342 g of AdBlue, but when I do calculations that works out to 26.67 liters (7 gallons), which can't be right. Online I see the specific gravity of AdBlue is about 1.1 grams/cm3. It's possible that I'm calculating incorrectly, or the reading isn't right, or maybe I have the wrong value for the SG of AdBlue.
The numbers come out almost bang-on correct. 1.1 g/cm³ = 1100 g/liter * 26.67 liters = 29337 g.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The numbers come out almost bang-on correct. 1.1 g/cm³ = 1100 g/liter * 26.67 liters = 29337 g.
It wasn't the math in question but the fact that he went through about 7.5 gallons in under 4000 miles.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks for checking my math. I guess the reading isn't accurate then.

740GLE, the measuring block is listed at the end of each line of the log.

For example, "77.17 % Sensor for reducing agent fill level; fill level 098" is block 098.

Cheers,
Jason

MyDixieWrecked

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
This is great data! Im doing research to understand how the TDI emmissions compare to other vehicles, such as hybrids and ILEV's. My goal is to have the TDI recognized by my state for use in the HOV lane, like a hybrid with a single occupant.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The states should already have all of that data. They just need to open their eyes and stop being lead around by the hybrid coalitions.

sickmtbnutcase

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
update:
MemberName: sickmtbnutcase
Model Year: 2009
Model: Jetta
Tranny: DSG
Miles: 79858
Oil Ash Volume: 69ml
Oil Type: Castrol LL03
Avrg. MPG: Fuelly Link
Comments: Still trending a bit lower than others. Car is not driven hard at all. Essentially BP fuel only.

chfscott

TDI
2011 Sportwagen,DSG
Updated

Date:12Aug2013
Member:chfscott
Type:2011 JSW
Trans: DSG
Mileage:60174
Oil Ash Vol.:48
MPG:41 avg.
State:IL
Oil:Castrol LL03

I took this reading after a long trip from the Chicago area to Norman, OK.,about 825 miles. Car ran nicely, averaged about 43.5 mpg on the trip.

Last edited:

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Date:12-Aug-2013
MemberName:
steve05ram360
Model Year: 2011
Model: Golf 2d
Tranny: 6MT
Miles: 48469
Oil Ash Volume: 39ml
Oil Type: royal purple hps 5w-30
State:CA
Avg. MPG:47.2

Last edited:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Date:12-Aug-2013
MemberName:
steve05ram360
Model Year: 2011
Model: Golf 2d
Tranny: 6MT
Miles: 48469
Oil Ash Volume: 39ml
Oil Type: royal purple hps 5w-30?
State:CA
Avg. MPG:47.2
Last I read, Royal Purple doesn't make an oil appropriate for the newer TDI's. Since you ended the line with a question mark, it makes it seem like you aren't sure.

In this case, it would probably be a good idea to be sure.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Last I read, Royal Purple doesn't make an oil appropriate for the newer TDI's. Since you ended the line with a question mark, it makes it seem like you aren't sure.

In this case, it would probably be a good idea to be sure.
It is 100% not approved. and I believe the weight is 5W-30, just not 100% sure since I dont have access to the bottle atm..

ONe of the points of the "approved" oil is it be low ash, RP is not as low as what is approved you would think the dpf would fill up quicker. Monitoring the levels will tell me yes or no. I just got the VCDS not too long ago and just now had the chance to get the data so I can monitor it. I have 9000 miles so far on this oil and love it. Hopefully the dpf will not complain. time will tell.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
13 August 2013
MemberName: bobt2382
Model Year: 2010
Model: Golf, 4dr
Tranny: 6M
Miles: 53884
Oil Ash Volume: 39ml ()
Avrg. MPG: 47.16
Current soot load: 16.8 Soot Load(g) Calculated, 0.3 Soot Load(g) Measured
Oil type: Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5w-30 ( last 30 K miles)
Other comments: Use B2-B5 blends and Opti-lube XPD and Summer blends.

Assuming these measurements are accurate and the 175ml max for the DPF is true, then appears that my DPF is projected to approximately 200K miles. We'll see how loading occurs in the future. Hope that it is linear load fill.

My initial test post from 2 years ago for comparison.

23 July 2011
Miles: 16316
Oil Ash Volume: 9ml
No. of regens: 3.0, 190 km since last regen
Current soot load: 12.9g
Oil type: Lubro Moly Top Tec 4200 ( have approx 6k miles on this oil)

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
I ended up moving the DPF over to the side and replacing the sensor. the temp sensor, black plug on the turbo. Unfortunately as soon as I plugged in the new sensor the DPF light came on and the dealer is telling me I need a new one. The car is at the dealer right now and I realized that they know less about DPF's then I do! before it went to the dealer I sent the DPF out to be cleaned and the lights did not go out. SO the dealer said yeap you still need a new one... so as of yesterday the new dpf is in and the light is not out. The dealer is telling me that it needs to do a forced regen on a new DPF? I told them that their clueless and that I better not end up with a new DPF if I don't need one. I like my car but its complicated enough to confuse a dealer and that makes me uneasy about owning it. SO far I am just angry, we shall see how it goes
Essentially a forced regen on your cleaned DPF would have probably sorted you out... A regen cycle is the only way to make the ECU's soot calculation drop back down and turn the light off etc...

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
13 August 2013
MemberName: bobt2382
Model Year: 2010
Model: Golf, 4dr
Tranny: 6M
Miles: 53884
Oil Ash Volume: 39ml ()
Current soot load: 16.8 Soot Load(g) Calculated, 0.3 Soot Load(g) Measured
Oil type: Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5w-30 ( last 30 K miles)
Other comments: Use B2-B5 blends and Opti-lube XPD and Summer blends.

Assuming these measurements are accurate and the 175ml max for the DPF is true, then appears that my DPF is projected to approximately 200K miles. We'll see how loading occurs in the future. Hope that it is linear load fill.
When I took my last few readings, I was maxed out at 180 ml according to VCDS. I'd recommend taking action around 165ml to be safe. At this level I noticed a significant drop in mileage, and the check engine light kept coming on.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
When I took my last few readings, I was maxed out at 180 ml according to VCDS. I'd recommend taking action around 165ml to be safe. At this level I noticed a significant drop in mileage, and the check engine light kept coming on.
What did you ultimately do with the DPF?

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
gotcha... not an option for those of us in Cali. I did find a place up in WA that cleans them somehow for a few hundred bucks so when the time comes I will give them a shot.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
gotcha... not an option for those of us in Cali. I did find a place up in WA that cleans them somehow for a few hundred bucks so when the time comes I will give them a shot.
That stinks. Hopefully the price will drop by the time you need to have something done to it. It looks like you still have a decent amount of driving time before it happens.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
That stinks. Hopefully the price will drop by the time you need to have something done to it. It looks like you still have a decent amount of driving time before it happens.
yup, agreed... I drive approx 3500 mi/mo in the golf so it wont take long. It will be interesting to see how the trend progresses with the RP oil in there.

strayts

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but which shop in WA does this? My car only has 37k, but it's still good to have filed away for down the road.

My take on all of this, however, is that if enough of these cars start having failing DPFs in 4-5 years, VWOA will be forced to do something other than say, "sorry, $4k please!" Making a non-servicable, non-replacable part is just ridiculous, and I think that the government will crack down on it (one of the few instances in our lives that they actually should step in on).

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
these are the guys... I emailed them and they came up with another process for getting it done, I will go find the email and post it back here...

http://www.fsxinc.com/Clean/dpf/dpfTypes.html

The TDI’s are problematic to cut open at best but we have done it successfully with good feedback from our customers. However, it is time consuming and expensive so we are going to take another approach to cleaning these DPF’s without cutting them open – just had a meeting today. We have a wet wash cleaning system that has been proven on thousands of heavy duty DPFs and approved by some large OEM’s. We will be making some slight modifications to the wet wash system so that TDI filter assemblies can be cleaned without cutting and welding. This process will only cost $250 versus $375.

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Shrifty-
How's the car running? Have you noticed if the car is going through regens more often? I just hit 120K last week. I'll run VAGCOM over the weekend and see where the DPF is at. Still using PS on every fill.
Stopped at the dealer to pick up some oil and DSG fluid. 2013 Passat TDI was marked down $4K off the MSRP. Don't think I've seen a TDI marked down in quite awhile. Must be making room for the 2014's. So tempting! :)
I'll get the recent posts added here real soon.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Shrifty-
How's the car running? Have you noticed if the car is going through regens more often? I just hit 120K last week. I'll run VAGCOM over the weekend and see where the DPF is at. Still using PS on every fill.
Stopped at the dealer to pick up some oil and DSG fluid. 2013 Passat TDI was marked down $4K off the MSRP. Don't think I've seen a TDI marked down in quite awhile. Must be making room for the 2014's. So tempting! :)
I'll get the recent posts added here real soon.
The car is running fantastic now! My car no longer regens as it is not necessary anymore. My mileage has gone up, and the power is more noticeable. I'll check out the mileage numbers tomorrow on my trip to Delaware. I'm expecting around 550-600 miles on a tank without babying it.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
MemberName: Skramer
Model Year: 2012
Model: A3
Tranny: DSG
Miles: 23452
Oil Ash Volume: 13ml
Oil Type: Castrol LL03 (dealer) but 7-15k on Mobil ESP
Avrg. MPG: 37.4 (fuelly)

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Guys-

Thanks for the continued support of this thread. I've updated everyone's info from 6/24 thru today.

Some food for thought.....

1) It appears that the Mobile 1 users are seeing a lower oil ash volume. Could this be true? There are only a small # of members posting in this thread who use Mobile 1, but on the surface and with just the data collected thus far, it would appear Mobile 1 helps reduce oil ash better than Castrol LL03.

2) DPF Delete / Clogged... what to do??? As one member takes the plunge and goes after a DPF modification and tune, what will the rest of us do? Malone Tuning/Rawtek look like an option, but where does that leave us? An illegal emission system? I've seen some Golf's with the Rawtek/Malone tuning and they sound good, but the infamous "black smoke" is back under hard or heavy acceleration.

3) I don't think using additives affects oil ash build up. At least there's no evidence one way or the other. I certainly don't think there is any harm done to the DPF by using an additive.

Have fun and Drive safe!

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Going to add my wifes tdi to the list and going to put her motor on the same HPS oil mine is on. Checked her level the other day and it is above the average, 85k miles & 89 OAV.