Package 2 vs special edition

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Hey boys and girls. I’ve been thinking I may as well drive a BRM myself after working on a few somewhat extensively. I had my heart set on a loaded package 2 preferably with some issues to lower the price. I missed one the other day by one day but it just wasn’t meant to be.

I’ve come across a car with a head issue that appears to be a special edition. I think it’s pretty much a package 1 with leather wrapped multi-function wheel and diesel badges on the fender.

How is the desirability of this trim compared to a loaded package 2? KBB shows the special edition as the most valuable but that doesn’t make much sense to me.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hey boys and girls. I’ve been thinking I may as well drive a BRM myself after working on a few somewhat extensively. I had my heart set on a loaded package 2 preferably with some issues to lower the price. I missed one the other day by one day but it just wasn’t meant to be.
I’ve come across a car with a head issue that appears to be a special edition. I think it’s pretty much a package 1 with leather wrapped multi-function wheel and diesel badges on the fender.
How is the desirability of this trim compared to a loaded package 2? KBB shows the special edition as the most valuable but that doesn’t make much sense to me.
2005.5 & 2006 TDI's are about 13 years old and value is mostly dependent on miles on the car, overall condition, and documented maintenance history. Package 1 Vs. Package 2 options are not a huge selling point. As a matter of fact, that zoned climate control can be a PIA once it decides to quit working.

If I was to buy another MKV, I would look for a clean "base" model and buy the best condition one. But that's just me.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Ditto. I specifically sought out one that was in good condition and without a sunroof to leak.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks for the comments. I've obviously read the MTD guide. I've been around these cars a little while.

I can understand that theory of condition and maintenance history over everything but I'm not in a total crunch for a car. I built a 1996 Lexus LS400 from two cars last year that is in incredible mechanical condition after building and has a super clean interior. I'm looking to possibly sell it for a BRM if I find the right one and drive it until we get a new Atlas next year at which point I'll drive the BRM myself.

This car here would be what I would want ideally. But, that car has an FSI engine, no BRM. I even entertained living with the FSI for a car that optioned out with the rare early wood trim. My ideal situation would be a car that has been taken very good care of with great maintenance but has come down with a very expensive repair. Like a flywheel stripping, cam issues or something like that so where the price is lower. To me the package 2 or special edition is what I would be happy with. This is because I like the MFD+ and MFSW that is leather wrapped. I can agree on the climatronic but being a hobbyist mechanic things that break really don't bother me, which is why I'm looking at a 12 year old BRM in the first place.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks for the comments. I've obviously read the MTD guide. I've been around these cars a little while.

I can understand that theory of condition and maintenance history over everything but I'm not in a total crunch for a car. I built a 1996 Lexus LS400 from two cars last year that is in incredible mechanical condition after building and has a super clean interior. I'm looking to possibly sell it for a BRM if I find the right one and drive it until we get a new Atlas next year at which point I'll drive the BRM myself.

This car here would be what I would want ideally. But, that car has an FSI engine, no BRM. I even entertained living with the FSI for a car that optioned out with the rare early wood trim. My ideal situation would be a car that has been taken very good care of with great maintenance but has come down with a very expensive repair. Like a flywheel stripping, cam issues or something like that so where the price is lower. To me the package 2 or special edition is what I would be happy with. This is because I like the MFD+ and MFSW that is leather wrapped. I can agree on the climatronic but being a hobbyist mechanic things that break really don't bother me, which is why I'm looking at a 12 year old BRM in the first place.
Nice clean looking car. I liked my 2005.5 PK1 best of all the TDI's I have owned. I still kick myself for selling it.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I was looking for a 2005.5 or a 2006 Package 2, but it seemed all the cars I'd find that I really like had salvage titles. I knew that I'd be moving out of state in a couple of years, so didn't want to go through that hassle. So instead I found a good deal on a 2006 Package 1, and have slowly been swapping things in to make it more like the car I originally wanted. I think it really comes down to personal preference. And for the sunroof, I'd be okay if I never owned another car with one. I think I have the leak fixed, for now...

That car you are looking at looks pretty slick.

My progress thus far: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450852
I'm hoping to swap the Climatronic unit in around Christmas.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I was looking for a 2005.5 or a 2006 Package 2, but it seemed all the cars I'd find that I really like had salvage titles. I knew that I'd be moving out of state in a couple of years, so didn't want to go through that hassle. So instead I found a good deal on a 2006 Package 1, and have slowly been swapping things in to make it more like the car I originally wanted. I think it really comes down to personal preference. And for the sunroof, I'd be okay if I never owned another car with one. I think I have the leak fixed, for now...
That car you are looking at looks pretty slick.
My progress thus far: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450852
I'm hoping to swap the Climatronic unit in around Christmas.
The only leak issues I've seen on MkV sunroofs is when the drain hose comes apart. I just cut that glued on coupler off and replace it with a plastic coupler and some new clear hose and it will never leak there again. Gotta catch it before it tears up your headliner though.