05 BEW upgrade/performance

lt1fire

TDI
2005 MKIV Jetta BEW
We are looking at keeping my wife's 05 MKIV BEW around for a long time.
So far what ive done to it (using all OEM parts) is
all bushings in the front end- except ball joints
4 wheel bearings
rotors and pads at all corners
New OEM 5 speed with the lower 5th gear
New clutch
Uber filter
panzer skip plate
a whole bunch of sensors
New starter

212k on it so far.
What i'm looking to do in the next year is clean the intake, put the VNT17 turbo upgrade on it, colt cam and do the timing belt, delete the egr and do a tune for that.

I'm wondering how reliable this will be, we want a little more performance, nothing huge but at the same time not wear on the engine faster.

lovetogo

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Egr

The PO caped off the EGR on this, new to me 2006 Jetta. He picked it up last summer needing a repower , he was leaving work last week and it wouldn't start finally got it home . I asked him what I could steel it for , he said 1200
so its at my place now. The no start deal was the fuel filter housing was the problem Why I was at it I did the Cult cam kit that was 1130 something they through in a oil change :) Reading your post I noticed you mentioned there being a EGR tune . The guys that sold me the cam tried to sell me a tune chip. So I'm just fishing for info. Thanks for all help

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
That's a lot of work for 212K. Why a new trans?

What you've listed is fine. I have no kitty, free flowing muffler, PD150 injectors, stage 2 tune and she fly's. I am putting a VNT17 or bigger in but only because I want a bit more and I am like that. Anyone who drives my car can't believe how quick it accelerates. Best part, no smoke.

Colt cam, want one but not in the budget, remove the EGR valve and check the intake, they don't plug up like the ALH's do.

I would suggest a BRM intake of a MK5 Jetta TDI and a race pipe, I have one but can't seem to find the time to install it. I disabled the secondary butterfly's. I removed the EGR valve but to me, it made more noise and less power. I have a route and it lugged going up the same steep hill.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Sounds decent. I would pull the head off and clean the intake ports too. the intakes are just as bad as the intake manifold. Do a port and polish, you can do this yourself easily but with patients and taking your time. Put new valve oil seals on it and be done with it. Colt cam is a mod you do when your fishing for more power after you have done other things. I would wait on the cam.
Nozzles with pop test tune Stage 2
intake with ported head and exhaust gasket matched, better turbo upgrade, a vtn 17 is great but you might go a step up from that. Larger intercooler, a set of gauges from auber, Oil PSI, EGT, and Boost.
3 bar map and a tune with 18-19 psi increase and you can go a bit larger on the nozzles than the 150's
call it good, car will rocket and you will have no issues with EGT's. If you want the next bang for your buck, Water Meth injection is cheep enough and gives you that on demand power when you want it vs having it all the time. better for daily IMHO.
Once you up your clutch, then start doing more. as long as you keep it at no more than 19psi and dont ever go past 1500 on the EGT's and your RPMs dont go much over 5500, your going to see almost no extra wear than stock. Just my 2 cents on the boost. you dont need it with the right tune but it helps with EGT's. EGT's are your worst enemy when it comes to more fuel.