If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
ah, ok. So will the 43 hp motor ever run on it's own? My belief was that it would at lower speeds, in which case, 43 hp isn't much. Although, on flat terrain, the car felt responsive enough under 20mph
I believe it will, when there's enough charge left in the battery and 43 hp is enough.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Hybrids do work. In my commutes to work in warm weather I could get 50 mpg in my Jetta hybrid. That car only had a 30 hp motor. You had to have a light foot to keep it going on electric only power. The colder the weather, the longer to heat up and the quicker to cool off, so the engine would have to run. If you ran primarily on the gas engine around town, mpgs were in the 30s. Long highway trips were in the 40s if you stayed within 5 mph of the speed limit (70 mph). I did not drive below the speed limit. So to sum up, in cars like the Jetta hybrid, you had to pay attention to how you were driving in order to get the good mileage. Perhaps cars like the Prius and newer hybrids don't require so much technique.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I turned in the JSW earlier this week. I am now driving a 2015 Subaru Outback limited. I'm getting about 30 mpg hwy (I've had the Suby since Feb 1). It is a much larger vehicle. Certainly doesn't have the torque or driving dynamics of the JSW, but is a decent vehicle. I will probably drive for a year or so (40-50K miles) and then pass it along to my wife. Maybe something more desirable will be available at that point.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
To replace my TDI, I picked-up a 2014 BMW 328d......I have a 172 mile round-trip commute daily, so staying with a diesel vehicle was an imperative for me.

That is a nice car señor (especially a wagon)............

Feedback on your fuel numbers when possible please.

TIA, ez

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
We finally chose a 2017 Golf Wolfsburg 5M. It has a very nice upscale interior like our outgoing JSW TDI, has a sweet manual gearbox, has carrying capacity (albeit less than the Sportwagen), has excellent fuel economy and is a surprisingly fun ride with it's 1.8T. Golf Wolfsburgs are often hard to find, especially with the manual transmission. We ordered ours and will keep our TDI in the interim.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hybrids do work. In my commutes to work in warm weather I could get 50 mpg in my Jetta hybrid. That car only had a 30 hp motor. You had to have a light foot to keep it going on electric only power. The colder the weather, the longer to heat up and the quicker to cool off, so the engine would have to run. If you ran primarily on the gas engine around town, mpgs were in the 30s. Long highway trips were in the 40s if you stayed within 5 mph of the speed limit (70 mph). I did not drive below the speed limit. So to sum up, in cars like the Jetta hybrid, you had to pay attention to how you were driving in order to get the good mileage. Perhaps cars like the Prius and newer hybrids don't require so much technique.
The cold weather penalty hits my Prius just as hard - my 5 mile one-way commute ranges from the low 50s to the low 60s mpg when it's in the 50s ºF or higher, but when it's below freezing, I'm doing really good to get 40 mpg.

On the highway, I tend to set the cruise for 73 instead of 75, because it means that the engine can shut off going downhill. I'll get low 50s that way, usually. That's the only real technique for highway that I use.

However, the more flexible gearing (the Jetta Hybrid has seven gear ratios to choose from with its DSG, whereas the Prius can set an arbitrary RPM as long as it's within the rev limits of its electric motors) and improved engine thermal efficiency (although I don't have numbers for the Jetta Hybrid's motor, VW would've been crowing about it if they got close to the 38% of the previous Prius's motor, and mine's at 40%) all help the Prius's efficiency everywhere.

And, then, the loss of, oh, 330-400 pounds of curb weight help it in the city, and vastly improved aerodynamics (0.24 Cd instead of 0.28, although it is taller, increasing frontal area a bit over the Jetta) and the ability to shut off the engine as high as, depending on who you ask, either 68 (Toyota official specs) or 73 (my personal experience) mph, versus VW's 44 mph, help it on the highway.

As far as power, I'm actually not sure how much battery power the Prius can get to the wheels, Toyota tends to not like to release those figures. The Li-ion battery has a theoretical limit of 60.1 hp based on the rated cell power, but I'm certain that Toyota's not hitting the cells that hard (and they still have a NiMH model, too, at the same vehicle power rating). I'd guess, though, based on Toyota comments on how they rated the previous generation and how that affects this generation's power, that it's somewhere between 36 and 39 hp in electric.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
friend told me that with their Camry hybrid, once you are in winter, you will same efficiency as the gas version. When he's guessing at efficiency of a replacement hybrid car, he says he'll figure half the year it will get gasser mileage, and hybrid mileage for the other half. so add the respective city mileages and hwy mileages and divide by two to get your averages for the year.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Well, I followed in your footsteps. I really didn't want to give my TDI back. But with a 2nd timing belt and water pump needed (240,000 miles on the odo), DSG fluid service, brake pad replacement, and having to deal with a cracked DPF for my biannual smog check in California, I felt it may be best to take advantage of the buy-back.

Pity as I really loved my Jetta TDI, and it's been completely trouble free (except the cracked DPF... which I drove on for the last 60K miles.) If VW had another TDI available, I would have picked-up another. But for now, my TDI will be back in the dealer's lot on the 27th of the month.

To replace my TDI, I picked-up a 2014 BMW 328d with the Sport Line package. These cars are becoming reasonably priced now with decent deals to be had. I have a 172 mile round-trip commute daily, so staying with a diesel vehicle was an imperative for me.
Excellent choice! Wish I could have found a sport or M sport but I am happy with the extra features I found in mine. Don't forget to come join us on the Dark Side!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416840
:D
That is a nice car señor (especially a wagon)............
Feedback on your fuel numbers when possible please.

TIA, ez
I've done 5 fill-up since I bought it (6th one was dealer fill) and I'm averaging 37-38 mpg for the most part. 2 things though: 1. That's in mostly cooler weather here, and 2. I've been driving it pretty "spiritedly" still as it is definitely more fun than the Golf was :D:eek:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
friend told me that with their Camry hybrid, once you are in winter, you will same efficiency as the gas version. When he's guessing at efficiency of a replacement hybrid car, he says he'll figure half the year it will get gasser mileage, and hybrid mileage for the other half. so add the respective city mileages and hwy mileages and divide by two to get your averages for the year.
I wouldn't say it's that bad of a hit on highway mileage - there's definitely a hit, but it's small. Where I might get 53-55 in summer, I'll get 49-51 in winter, on a roadtrip.

It's really city where you take the hit, and it's a pretty colossal one.

Also, averaging mpg doesn't exactly work like that - the average of 30 and 50 mpg, for instance, is not 40 mpg, it's 37.5 mpg. (100 miles at 30 mpg is 3.33 gallons per mile, 100 miles at 50 mpg is 2 gallons per mile, the average is 2.67 gallons per mile, which is 37.5 mpg.) Yet another reason why mpg is a terrible way to measure efficiency.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I've done 5 fill-up since I bought it (6th one was dealer fill) and I'm averaging 37-38 mpg for the most part. 2 things though: 1. That's in mostly cooler weather here, and 2. I've been driving it pretty "spiritedly" still as it is definitely more fun than the Golf was :D:
Thanks! I'll meet you at the Dark Side! :)

I think the 328d will match or better the mileage on my 2011 Jetta TDI if I drove it similarly. But I too am putting my foot into the throttle more than I should. Plus Sport Mode keeps the car in 7th gear, while Comfort and Eco Pro mode allow the transmission to go to 8th gear. Sport mode is pretty fun, but I will have mentally use it sparingly.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
The Jetta is turned in and I'm currently borrowing my mom's 2013 or so Subaru Impreza hatchback. It rides higher than the Jetta, but it's very bursty off the mark. Feels better than the newer Imprezas, strangely. I like the Subaru, though, and am very likely going to pick up one. Still undecided if it'll be an Impreza or a Legacy sedan, and undecided which trim line I'd go for.
Looking forward to AWD life again, especially since it just decided to snow again. Nice to be in a car where the heat and wipers actually work well.

-T.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Sport mode is pretty fun, but I will have mentally use it sparingly.
Try putting it in sport mode, shifting the lever left to pop the trasmission into "sport" mode as well (if you pull it left, it enters sport, if you then shift up or down it goes to manual); and pressing the DSC button for at least 5 seconds... Talk about fun! :D

Pretty sure our 2014s have launch control too!

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Try putting it in sport mode, shifting the lever left to pop the trasmission into "sport" mode as well (if you pull it left, it enters sport, if you then shift up or down it goes to manual); and pressing the DSC button for at least 5 seconds... Talk about fun! :D

Pretty sure our 2014s have launch control too!
I mentioned the 328d to the mechanic who works on my sportwagen. He said in terms of service BMW is way behingd in qualified diesel mechanics and getting things fixed can be a pain. he said they are a good lease option. I was wondering if anyone here could comment on their reliability/maintenance post warranty mileage. two neighbors have one and while it's a sweet looking ride, the back seat and cargo space seems smaller than the sportwagen and I'm not sure about run flats

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
We'd like the Niro plugin.. i'm wondering if it will have more uumph than the petrol version.
I believe it has the same drivetrain as the plugin Sonata, so you might look at comparisons between the petro & plugin versions of that car for some ideas as to what the Niro performance will be like.

Its a safe bet that it won't have the acceleration of your old JSW, especially in electric-only mode.

freeman

TDI
2003 JSW, 2009 Jetta sedan, to 2013 Passat SEL
Volt Update

I have really enjoyed the 2017 Chevy Volt I bought 5 months ago. I have 61 mile daily commute which I can do mostly on electric - 53+ mile range dropping into the 40s in cold weather. Have taken two trips of 400 and 500 miles in a day with 10 hours in the car - range extender gas engine allows you to drive all day if needed - surprisingly comfortable to me. I got a Premier edition with rebates/tax credits for basically the buyback on my 2013 Passat SEL. Main difference is the Volt feels more like a sports car compared to the sedan feel of the Passat and sits lower. Ride is as good maybe better - heavy car with good suspension Gas mileage is in the 40s on the highway. Over 8000 miles and no problems so far.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have really enjoyed the 2017 Chevy Volt I bought 5 months ago. I have 61 mile daily commute which I can do mostly on electric - 53+ mile range dropping into the 40s in cold weather. Have taken two trips of 400 and 500 miles in a day with 10 hours in the car - range extender gas engine allows you to drive all day if needed - surprisingly comfortable to me. I got a Premier edition with rebates/tax credits for basically the buyback on my 2013 Passat SEL. Main difference is the Volt feels more like a sports car compared to the sedan feel of the Passat and sits lower. Ride is as good maybe better - heavy car with good suspension Gas mileage is in the 40s on the highway. Over 8000 miles and no problems so far.

At what cost in monthly electricity?

Thanks

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Today's the last day to get your Chevy SS at the 20% off promo! Act quick! 415hp/torque will cause you to quickly forget your beloved Tdi! I'm getting 12mpg around town and loving every minute of it!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I have more torque than the SS at less than half the RPM, and more than double the economy, but admittedly much lower horsepower. Have to admit that the idea of a Corvette sedan is attractive, though...

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
Today's the last day to get your Chevy SS at the 20% off promo! Act quick! 415hp/torque will cause you to quickly forget your beloved Tdi! I'm getting 12mpg around town and loving every minute of it!
Way to write a post that reads like spam, CSRPenfab :)

It was the bragging about only getting 12 MPG that did it for me :)

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
I was very close to get a 2-3 year old Prius V. Then a guy at work was selling his mother in law 2012 Focus with 29,000 on it. I picked it up for $5600. I actually like how the car drive. The only thing that I missed from my Sportwagen on the Focus are - station wagon, leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel and instant fuel economy gauge, but at that price I can not complain.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Funny to see what people are replacing their TDIs with. The replacements are so far afield from TDIs I wonder why they bought one in the first place.

Exactly my thoughts. Jeep Renegades, dodge suv's CVT's , pick ups. Sure a few years ago they were using that fuelly app too. BTW, keeping my TDI, and my truck and my 4 runner.
This post is very telling. Criticizing people for changing vehicles but you have 3... Not everyone has the means or space for 3 vehicles so we compromise. Sometimes we realize the compromise isn't the best and we change.
Just like DubFamily

Because times and needs change... Someone who bought a TDI 3-6 years ago for a 60-70 mile commute may now have 2 kids and a 20 mile commute...
I bought a BMW diesel because I still have a 125 mile round trip commute; other's probably have different needs now. ;)
Maybe, maybe not. I bought my Jetta Wagon in '02 when I had a 70 mile round trip commute and three young children. It remained in service through their high school years, snowboarding trips (Thule box on the roof), moves in and out of college dorm rooms, parts pickups for IDParts, trips to GTGs, you name it. That car does whatever I need. And since I've made multiple mods over the years it hasn't gotten boring.
People change cars because they want a change. Nothing wrong with that. But it's merely rationalizing to disguise them as "needs".
Congratulations... My point was everyone's situation is different. Thank you for proving that... ;)
You've stated a single reason for why people do something as if it is the only reason in existence; that's ludicrous.
Exactly I think people operate under the assumption that anyone who joins this forum does so for similar reasons, therefore anyone who leaves is somehow abandoning ship.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Mazda CX-5 Sky Activ Diesel

My next car will be the 2017 Mazda CX-5 with the Sky Activ 2.2L diesel due this fall. Bye Bye VW...

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
At what cost in monthly electricity?

Thanks
Figuring the cost for electricity on the Volt is pretty easy. It's a 18.4kWh battery, so figure if you run it to flat every time you'll need about 20kWh to fill it up. Multiply that by your cost for electricity then divide by your range on the battery and you'll get your energy cost/mile. If I had a new one here the math would look like this:

20 kW * $0.12/kW = $2.40/charge
$2.40 charge / 54 miles = $0.044/mile in electricity

For comparison if we do the math with a Prius (numbers from Fuelly and GasBuddy):

$2.73/gallon / 52 MPG = $0.0525/mile in gasoline

Or if we pick the average new car:

$2.73/gallon / 25.5 MPG = $0.107/mile in gasoline

Of course if your energy company offers time of use plans, or if you have solar, or if your employer provides charging, that can tip the energy cost for an EV much lower. There's even one Texas utility that offers free electricity at night.

freeman

TDI
8 cents/kW (includes fees/taxes) - uses 14 kW per charge

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I'm replacing mine with a Kia Niro Touring. I was hoping for 30mpg with the paddle board on but I've already done 3 tank fills and averaged 42mpg! The Niro is not a highway car like the TDI....especially into the wind and up a hill....but the Niro handles pretty nice.

freeman

TDI
Volt kW usage

Actually uses 14 kW to get that 53 mile range. The rest is reserved and kept for acceleration, temp control when parked, etc. The ICE can charge the battery to keep at that level while driving as well as provide forward motion. So at 8 cents that means $1.12 per a electric "fill-up". I am lucky to have cheaper electric rates than a lot of other areas with OG&E.

Last edited:

suesrn3

TDI
2013 Passat
I really miss the Passat, but driving around in my new 2017 Audi A4 is so much fun! :D
Buyback completed on 12/30/16 drove home the Audi on 2/24/17. The only thing I can honestly say I miss is, well two things are the space I had in the Passat and the diesel :(
I considered the BMW 328d xdrive but after driving both, the only thing the BMW had that I liked better than the Audi was the fact that it was diesel, for me Audi came in ahead on everything else I liked.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I'm replacing mine with a Kia Niro Touring. I was hoping for 30mpg with the paddle board on but I've already done 3 tank fills and averaged 42mpg! The Niro is not a highway car like the TDI....especially into the wind and up a hill....but the Niro handles pretty nice.
do you know which trim, packages you're getting? are the dealers out there offering ANYTHING off MSRP?