BMW 328d vs. VW TDIs

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
I'm looking to formally get back into the TD(I) club. I sold my '04 Golf TDI in 2014, and have a 2009 Touareg (non-TDI) right now. I didn't need a diesel, because I wasn't driving to commute.

I've been looking at different options, and the BMW 328d really caught my eye. It looks to get better mileage than the TDI options out there. I had a 2000 BMW 323i that I loved, but I love Vee Dubs, as well. I really like the two VWs I have had. I'm so torn...:confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The BMW is nice. Interior materials aren't that exceptional for the price of the car, but it performs well. Plan on significantly higher maintenance costs compared to a VW, however. And no manual transmission, which is a big negative for me.

I like my 335d (previous gen) but I don't know if I'd want it as a daily driver. I feel it would be too expensive to operate for the annual mileage I seem to accumulate.

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
The BMW is nice. Interior materials aren't that exceptional for the price of the car, but it performs well. Plan on significantly higher maintenance costs compared to a VW, however. And no manual transmission, which is a big negative for me.

I like my 335d (previous gen) but I don't know if I'd want it as a daily driver. I feel it would be too expensive to operate for the annual mileage I seem to accumulate.
I'm looking for an automatic, so that's not an issue. Would you say the interior quality is a big step up from a Passat or Jetta? That's good to know about the maintenance costs. I did a lot of the work myself on my Golf.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No, I don't think the interior materials are that big a step up. Seats are nice, but the switchgear and dash materials are similar.

Routine maintenance should be easy to do on your own, and costs aren't all that much different from a VW. Repair items can get more expensive. And it's more difficult to find a ship to work on them than it is for VWs.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
No, I don't think the interior materials are that big a step up. Seats are nice, but the switchgear and dash materials are similar.
Maybe I'm biased, but I think VW does an excellent job on interiors. Maybe the materials aren't always up to "luxury" standards, but their simple, elegant layout of HVAC knobs and buttons is just so much cleaner than what I see from competitors.

I find the interior on my MK6 GTI to be perfect. No ugly wood, clean lines, excellent sport seats and one of the nicest interiors that I've put my hands on.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ugly wood? I hope you mean the cheesy faux wood grain finishes. Because the real stuff looks pretty good to me in the high end cars that use it.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been window shopping lots of BMW's and I'm amazed at how many are ruined (IMO) by ugly combinations of wood and interior colors. In my opinion the brushed aluminum finishes they do on some of their sport package cars almost always look better. Of course this is all subjective.

I suppose the wood in our Touareg looks nice. Is it real? I don't know, I just assume so because the car is expensive.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I agree that the interior materials are not really any better than what I had in my MKIV Jetta or MKVI Golf, but the gadgets, gizmos, and tech is far better. The BMW is more easily customized either directly from the iDrive or with coding. The nice part is that all the coding software is easily available online for free and you can make your own cable. For the VWs I paid for Vag-Com.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Just picked up a 535D M SPORT. Wow what a monster of an engine.

The issue you will have with other German brands are the option packages.

If you are looking used, no two will be similarly equpied. They can be optioned a million different ways. It's not two levels and no other options like VW, its 16 different packages plus a la carte items thrown in too.

I'm looking for a 328d for the wife, and we need to look for her must have options like the nav, HUD, backup camera (surprisingly still an option with BMW), upgraded sound and seats.

When you find your unicorn, you have to jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Just picked up a 535D M SPORT. Wow what a monster of an engine.

The issue you will have with other German brands are the option packages.

If you are looking used, no two will be similarly equpied. They can be optioned a million different ways. It's not two levels and no other options like VW, its 16 different packages plus a la carte items thrown in too.

I'm looking for a 328d for the wife, and we need to look for her must have options like the nav, HUD, backup camera (surprisingly still an option with BMW), upgraded sound and seats.

When you find your unicorn, you have to jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
535d M-Sport and no pictures.....why?

I agree. I window shop these all the time. Not only are the option packages crazy, lots of the color combinations are truly horrible. Exterior/interior and wood trim color combos that make me physically recoil.