Noisy TDI?

dave3dg

TDI
2003 A3 2.0 TDI SE
dave3dg said:
Do any of you learned M8's know if the valve swaps U are discussing applies to UK / Europe cars as my A3 does the same but I must say I was under the impression that the noise sounded a bit like the transmission groaning @ low revs?

regards,

dave3dg
Silence was the answer to my question, Maybe us Brits are not welcome on this forum?

Altern8

TDI
1.4 tdi 3 cyl AFM code
whats the sender your all mention the n18 are they on all tdis my 1.4 is doing the simular sort of thing

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
Dave3dg: us brits are very welcome on here, and all the engine bits are virtually the same, bar items related to emissions many!!

the N18 valve is the one that controls the EGR valve, I have had the seals damage and allow uncontrolled vacuum to the EGR controller

2 ways I know to test,
1: swap the valve with the one that controls the turbo (n75) and you should notice a difference on start up
2: undo the pipe from the exhaust to the EGR valve, and block it with either metal plate or even some cardboard (not to be driven on!)

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Well, I have recently changed my pressure hose that connects to the egr with the c ring clamp. That pretty much fixed my problem with the rumble at low idle, and the rattle at 1800-2000 rpm. One of the teeth on the hose was slowly coming off, causing the rattling. Finally, when it broke completely, I noticed alot of nose and loss of power. I changed the hose and done.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
TDIMAXIMA,

Which pressure hose are you talking about? The elbow joint hose that connects to the egr and intake (above the timing belt area)?

This is the one that I know has the C ring clamp that holds it to the EGR (by the anti-shutter or shutoff valve).

I still suffer what I think to be the rumble noise you speak of.

Tom