www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 1st, 2015, 11:16   #931
radtech83

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
843 miles/15.3 gals = 55.1 MPG, tank brimmed as usual. Winter fronts on and average tank speed was 45 MPH. 500 miles was on a very flat stretch of interstate with the cruise set at 65 (limit). Much warmer weather than usual for Feb.

I always snicker when I see the Passat commercials on TV touting 44 MPG and the 814 Mile range...
psd1 - This is what has me ready to make the jump to a TDI 6MT. I have been driving in flat Indiana in a '06 Honda Civic Hybrid with a new replaced battery for 3 years almost never driving over 65 mph. And I have only once seen 55.0 mpg or better in that time frame. Hell I haven't used cruise control for 5 years because it KILLS a hybrids average! I drive 85% highway miles no cruise and throw every trick there is to bumping the mpg and rarely see better the 52 mpg.

To be able to ride in a quality midsize car with the cruise on going 65 mph and get 50+ mpg or better would be a dream! It is only the fear of repair and maintenance cost of a VW that has held me back.
radtech83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 14:01   #932
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtech83 View Post
psd1 - This is what has me ready to make the jump to a TDI 6MT. I have been driving in flat Indiana in a '06 Honda Civic Hybrid with a new replaced battery for 3 years almost never driving over 65 mph. And I have only once seen 55.0 mpg or better in that time frame. Hell I haven't used cruise control for 5 years because it KILLS a hybrids average! I drive 85% highway miles no cruise and throw every trick there is to bumping the mpg and rarely see better the 52 mpg.
To be able to ride in a quality midsize car with the cruise on going 65 mph and get 50+ mpg or better would be a dream! It is only the fear of repair and maintenance cost of a VW that has held me back.
I was tempted to fill at the 500 mile mark, just to check but I like to keep my miles per tank average up. My MFI was showing 55+ at the end of that 500 miles, so it was probably in the 57-58 MPG range as my MFI always reads low.

This is our third TDI and it is a great car. It isn't fancy and the wife wishes it had a sunroof, but it does everything spectacularly. I am in need of new tires and am holding off as long as I can because I know my MPG will suffer. After 44K miles the car has been stellar, the maintenance is easy and of course there is the Tq factor. From the sounds of your commute the Passat TDI would be a great choice.

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote