Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

PDPowell

TDI
'02 VW Jetta GLS TDi
Need to add these guys

I could not add these guys to the page and I used them for the first time recently. Best I've dealt with yet!!! I've only used 3 other shops but these guys know TDi's. Here's the address and info.

European AUTO
1303 E West College St.
Murfreesboro TN 37129
615-848-0046

They are kind of hard to find because their shop is behind a swimming pool shop. I recently had a complete timing belt change, intercooler cleaned, intake manifold cleaned, EGR cooler cleaned, transmission serviced, new MAF installed and some vacuum lines replaced all for a lot less than I thought it would cost. Plus, they had it completed in less than a week. That amazed me because they are very busy working on a lot of higher maintenance vehicles like Mercedes and BMWs. They also inform you of any problems you may have and show you the parts they pull out of your car.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
While I am not a trusted mechanic there doesn't seem to be any in my state of WY. I do work on my own VW diesels and my families and if you trust me I can do some of the jobs if you are near Sheridan WY. I do also own a Vag Com if anyone needs it while out on I-90. Again, I am not expert mech but I will help anyway I can since there is so few people in this state that can work on a foreign car.

dropitlow

TDI
black 03 GLS
Dave's Diesel in Angola, IN, cheap, honest, and very good. Have a couple regular customers over 300k mi and two 300 lb/ft TDI builds.

hans57

TDI
'03 Golf
Growler in Columbus

Anyone new to Ohio or this site has a great resource in Growler for all your TDI needs. He just finished my TB job and is meticulous about his work. I highly recommend him to anyone, and I am a perfectionist. Just ask him! :D

Jeff

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
dropitlow said:
Dave's Diesel in Angola, IN, cheap, honest, and very good. Have a couple regular customers over 300k mi and two 300 lb/ft TDI builds.
That is good news for those in the far NE corner of Indiana, though the rest of the state remains underserved.

You might as well go ahead and post the particulars: address, phone number, website, and any other information about experience/methods/service.

We always pay attention to what parts they replace during a TB change and what tools they use.

doublejetta

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Sedan and Wagon
Awesome Illinois mechanic

I have two jettas, hence the screen name. Matt Miks (MiksTDI) of Lake Villa has faithfully taken great care of them and me. I am a client for life. He is capable, honest, and takes the time to both repair and educate his clients in proper TDI management. He makes time to schedule needed service and is fair with pricing and communicates effectively about the status of whatever project he is performing for you. He has my stamp of approval.

Mike
02 Jetta TDI sedan, 125K miles
03 Jetta TDI wagon, 170K miles

dropitlow

TDI
black 03 GLS
TornadoRed said:
That is good news for those in the far NE corner of Indiana, though the rest of the state remains underserved.

You might as well go ahead and post the particulars: address, phone number, website, and any other information about experience/methods/service.

We always pay attention to what parts they replace during a TB change and what tools they use.
They have a store in Muncie as well, pretty close to Indianapolis.

maketoast

TDI
2004 Wheat Beige PD TDI
Trusted TDI Guru near Allentown PA

A 2004 Jetta TDI has joined our family. Its my 5th VW but my 1st diesel, so I still have much to learn.

Any suggestions on a TDI Guru within 30-40 miles of Allentown PA?
I specifically need to find someone to remove my ceramic OEM glow plugs and swap them for steel... risky job, so I need someone trustworthy who can hopefully remove them without breaking them. In fact, I've heard some people have the specialized tools (borescope, etc) just in case they break. Yeah, knowing my luck I need someone like that. :)

redcliffs

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS
More Vermont?

Tristan said:
I'm not sure what the protocoll for getting someone up on the trusted mechanics list is, but I'd highly reccomend Jason from Full Circle Automotive - He really knows his stuff on these cars, and is also highly skilled with veg oil systems as well.
Any recommendations for the Rutland-Burlington corridor? I'm moving to Middlebury and Barre is a long trek.

Thanks.

truck

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS sedan, manual 67k mi
Hello, I'm curious who nominated Big Wrench Repair in Dryden, WA and what your experience with them was? Or anybody else with experience with them. I'll be heading over to Leavenworth in a couple weeks and would like to get some work done. If these folks in little Dryden are good and reasonable that would be great.

Finally, does anybody have any recommendations for window tinting on the Eastside (like Wenatchee or environs)?

Thanks,

Tim

winter

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (for sale) 2011 Sportwaggy
I may be able to help you out. I have a current VW master tech working for me in here in Reading, and he specializes in TDI's. Give Jeff or me a call at 610.779.3555

Rolf Mair

maketoast said:
A 2004 Jetta TDI has joined our family. Its my 5th VW but my 1st diesel, so I still have much to learn.

Any suggestions on a TDI Guru within 30-40 miles of Allentown PA?
I specifically need to find someone to remove my ceramic OEM glow plugs and swap them for steel... risky job, so I need someone trustworthy who can hopefully remove them without breaking them. In fact, I've heard some people have the specialized tools (borescope, etc) just in case they break. Yeah, knowing my luck I need someone like that. :)

nmchemeng

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI SE
TDI Mechanic In New Mexico

I am looking for a shop in Albuquerque, NM to do a timing belt job on my 06.5 TDI. Any suggestions? I called Antons Auto Haus and the owner gave me a generic response of essentially it starts at about $1K and labor runs at $95/hr. He was hesitant to provide me a detailed estimate based upon what we all know is recommended for the job. He is very careful to cover his backside. i do not mind driving to Santa Fe if need be.

I am at 90K now, and do not want to push it much further, but I average 1200 miles a week for commuting.

If anyone cares, do not buy diesel at the 7-eleven on the corner of San Pedro & San Antonio in Albuquerque, NM. I think they have water in their tanks.

Thanks,

Allen

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
nmchemeng said:
I am looking for a shop in Albuquerque, NM to do a timing belt job on my 06.5 TDI. Any suggestions? I called Antons Auto Haus and the owner gave me a generic response of essentially it starts at about $1K and labor runs at $95/hr. He was hesitant to provide me a detailed estimate based upon what we all know is recommended for the job. He is very careful to cover his backside. i do not mind driving to Santa Fe if need be.

I am at 90K now, and do not want to push it much further, but I average 1200 miles a week for commuting.

If anyone cares, do not buy diesel at the 7-eleven on the corner of San Pedro & San Antonio in Albuquerque, NM. I think they have water in their tanks.

Thanks,

Allen
I can't speak from personal experience, but the list on the first post of this thread shows this for New Mexico. I would talk to them first. I know it's about an hour away, but it would be worth it if they know what they're doing. BTW, the address and phone number were added by myself. I'm assuming it's the same business.

Konstruct Performance
2887 Industrial Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87507 US Website (505) 473-3001
Full-time shop, 2 brothers, 5 lifts.

Update: After looking at their profile and posts, it looks like they're a VW/Audi tuning shop. I would question them thoroughly about their TDI experience. I used a similar type place in Dallas but it turned out that they didn't know TDIs at all and almost ruined my car. I'm not saying that this guy isn't good. It's just that most of what they do is tuning gassers and don't specialize in TDIs.

Last edited:

nmchemeng

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI SE
Mechanics in NM

Thanks for the info on Konstruct.

I will be using them. They came in with a price roughly 30% less than the local shops in albuquerque, and 50% less than the local dealers. It is amazing the disparity in pricing between shops just a few miles apart in both labor rates and parts pricing.

When the work is done, I will post on my experience.

Regards,

Allen

nmchemeng

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI SE
Mechanics in NM

Just as a follow on, here is my survey of the local shops.

University Volkswagen: $108/hr, Timing Belt Only: $696.30, Timing Belt, water pump, etc.: $1286.12 (firm). Used these guys previously for oil change and some warranty work when under warranty. My feeling is that they are what you would expect from a dealership shop. Not bad work, just not awesome, especially for the price. The parts pricing for oil and filters is close to what you can get online, slightly higher. Oils are priced comparable to online, filters are overpriced.

Premier Motorcars: $92.50/hr, Timing belt, tensioners, pump, etc.: $1150 (firm)

Foreign Aide Parts & Service: $85/hr, $1000 timing belt, water pump, etc. (pricing may be reduced, person providing info said they thought it was around $760, but she was not the service manager, still waiting for return call)

Antons Auto Haus: $95/hr, $1000 starting, no firm number, very hesitant to give estimate over the phone.

Central Motive Power: (local diesel shop) still waiting a call back. Recommended by my local trany shop.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
nmchemeng said:
Thanks for the info on Konstruct.

I will be using them. They came in with a price roughly 30% less than the local shops in albuquerque, and 50% less than the local dealers. It is amazing the disparity in pricing between shops just a few miles apart in both labor rates and parts pricing.

When the work is done, I will post on my experience.

Regards,

Allen
Sounds good, Allen. Just read up on what's required of a good timing belt change on here, then question them as to what they do and how they do it. Make sure it includes the tensioner, water pump, pullys, the proper stretch bolts, etc. And make sure they use a proper cam lock device and not the "mark and pray" method! Don't use them just because they're the cheapest.

Good luck and keep us posted.

nmchemeng

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI SE
Thanks for the advice. Just as a note, as part of the survey I did go through and ask that they were all going to replace the following:
  • Tensioners
  • pulleys
  • water pump
  • timing belt
  • V-belt
  • engine bolts (stretch bolts)
I also asked if they had the proper tools for my year of vehicle and spent time discussing how long it would take them to do the work.

Another note on warranty:

University Volkswagen: 12/12000
Premier Morotcars: 12/12000
Foreign Aide Parts & Service: 6/6000
Antons: did not get that far, owner was real hesitant to talk on phone
Konstruct: 1year, unlimited mileage

I am open to hearing any other advice or questions that I should ask. I have spent a great deal of time researching this job, in this thread and others, as well as other sources, and I am always open to advice. I appreciate any comments or feedback, as I am sure most TDI owners are.

I am nervous given the pricey potential failures, etc. Also I am nervous of a failure due to this being the primary commuter vehicle and the fact that my commute is over 260 miles round trip through a very desolate part of the state.

Regardless of what I do, I will update the thread with more information.

Thanks,

Allen

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
K5ING said:
make sure they use a proper cam lock device and not the "mark and pray" method! .
On the PD engine there are two different crankshaft locking devices that are required... T10050 is for the BEW and BHW motors, the T10100 is for the BRM - which is what nmchemeng has... I believe that Metalnerd now has a universal tool that covers both styles...

Unless the shop has done other BRM timing belt changes, they may not have the correct lockdown tool... something to keep in mind...

Yuri

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Anton: you start by finding the best mechanic. Then, if he does not have the correct tools, you find out if they are for rent and YOU provide them to the mechanic. YOU provide the best deluxe timing belt kit you can find. (The top vendors all have pretty good kits.)

Then you negotiate over the labor rate. The book was 5.0 or 5.5 for the VE engine, as I recall, I do not know what it is for the PD engine. But this "best mechanic you can find" cannot charge anywhere close to $90 in Albuqueque; only a dealership would ask for that much. But if you provide the TB kit, then even $90/hour should work out to around $800 total.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Garden Grove VW, Garden Grove, CA

Ask for either Steven or Roger. Both are knowledgeable, friendly and have no problem with you watching their every move.

Dan

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 1.9L
Trusted TDI Mechanics

I would like to recommend a garage for "foreign cars" that I am very satisified with and have used for service since 2006! It's location is in South Central Kentucky near Bowling Green, KY. About 8 miles west of I-65 @ exit 22 or I-65 & exit 28. You want to look for Rt. 957 which intersects with Rt. 31W [the "W" does not stand for or indicate a direction of West] Once you find the Rt. 957/31W intersection the garage is about 2 miles from 31W.

Pum Springs Garage
1851 Plum Springs Road
Bowling Green, KY 42101
Phone: 270-842-1550
Owner: Bob Hayes

I have seen cars here from many different states and from Canada. They service most all forein cars and DO know what their doing. When the job's done, its done right. They will go out of their way to help their customers.
I've been going to Plum Springs Garage for 4 years and just bought my 1st 2000 Jetta GLS 1.9 TDI and they have done several repairs for me that were not right with the Jetta! They KNOW TDI's!!!

Hope this is of help to others that travel the I-65 coridor from Gary, ID to Mobile, Alabama.

Hyland's Jetta 06/23/10

Last edited:

zoomzoom9

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi GLS
Thought I'd add a shop that I've been using and have had great experiences with here in northern NJ. They just moved and are now part of Radical Motorsports. Here's their info:

Radical Motorsports
815 Route 17 South
Ramsey, NJ 07446

Joe runs the service shop there and they do great work, plus they're honest and reasonably priced. They do a lot of very high-end work (Lamborghinis, Ferraris, etc), but they've done plenty of work on my 2000 Jetta TDi as well and I've been very pleased with them. If you're in the area, you might just want to stop by and see their inventory, they have some amazing cars on their lot, they had a Noble M12 when I was there the other day, I had never even heard of that brand before!

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 1.9L
TDI Trusted Mechanics

I would like to add 1 additional garage for VW/Foreign Car Service.

Frank Hauser’s Foreign Car Service
3507 Main Street, Morgantown, PA 19543
Rt. 23
Morgantown, PA 19543 (Chester County)
610-286-6116

This garage is owned by Mr. Frank Hauser and his son Stewart. Mr. Hauser came from Germany after WW2 and knows VW's inside and out. When I lived in eastern PA. prior to 8/2006 I had all my service done by Hauser's Foreign Car Service. During the years 1996 to 2006 I owned 2 different 1981 VW Rabbit diesel pick-up's and 1 - '79 VW Rabbit diesel sedan. My wife owned a 5 cylinder Quantim gas sedan. I never had to take a vehicle back for a 2nd time for the same issue. When service was done it was done right! They take care of their customers.

Last edited:

2000BEETLETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, sold.... 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI loved it, but had to sell it, replaced it with a low miled 2003 Jetta Sedan and just sold it when I got a 2009 Jetta, 2005 Dodge Cummins 6 speed, short bed, 4 door, 4wd , 2010 Jetta 6 speed, wifes car
Trusted TDI mechanic in central Illinois

Anyone know a trusted TDI mechanic in the central ILLINOIS area, like Bloomington, Decatur, Effingham area? all the ones listed are in by Chicago.

THanks,
Scott

Revharri

TDI
'97 Jetta TDI
newbie with TB problem

Hello, Everyone
Help! I need an ace or guru for advice on getting repaired my TDI with a broken timing belt. Trying to figure out if it is worth it and am scared to death of the dealerships and service shops here that have no experience with a TDI. I read with interest the posts about Zippy1 TB problem he had about a year ago. I am in SW Florida and am wondering if there is any reputable mechanics in the area.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello, Everyone
Help! I need an ace or guru for advice on getting repaired my TDI with a broken timing belt. Trying to figure out if it is worth it and am scared to death of the dealerships and service shops here that have no experience with a TDI. I read with interest the posts about Zippy1 TB problem he had about a year ago. I am in SW Florida and am wondering if there is any reputable mechanics in the area.
You should also contact Frank Irving, aka Franko6, who has provided many of us with excellently rebuilt cylinder heads.... plus he also offers a deluxe timing belt kit.

If you are too far from one of the acknowledged timing belt experts, then you may need to find the best mechanic who is not a TDI expert, then rent the necessary tools from metalman and provide those to your mechanic.

Lastly, when it is all put back together with all the new parts, and everything is properly torqued, etc., you will have to travel to one of the gurus and have him tweak the timing so it is exactly and precisely correct.

Or you can just contact Keith Scarborough, tdiclub username LWB053, in Tampa. javabean215@yahoo.com and rent a tow dolly to get your TDI to him. Closer than Orlando, I think.

Sayray24

TDI
1998 VW Jetta
hey i have an addition for your list. Lazy 8 Service Center in Sumner, IL. it is the only place i will take my tdi.