Intercooler leaking oil?

VTJC

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW, 2009, Grey
Hi, I have been noticing some oil loose about ½ a quart every fill up(600miles). When I was installing my skid plate over the weekend I noticed oil accumulation at the bottom of the intercooler. It appears I have a small crack(1/8 to ¼ inch) in it that seeps a little oil. I have two questions. Why is there oil in the intercooler? It seems like it’s plastic could I simply patch it with JB weld or something similar, the crack is in a non structural area?

I just saw this post Intercooler @ VWParts.com about replacing a intercooler. I guess I need to research the CCV upgrade to keep oil out of my intercooler.

Thanks, Jamie

[ May 07, 2002, 07:39: Message edited by: VTJC ]

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
If you have a hole in your intercooler you are loosing boost! You'll want to take care of that....and if you are pumping that much oil into you intercooler through your CCV.....thats not good!

BlackGolfOn17s

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Dude your intercooler should have noting but air in it! There shouldn't be oil in it at all, you have something leaking oil into your intercooler that need to be fixed!

the only way for signifigant oil to get into the intercooler (other than the already mentioned crank vent) is from the TURBO seals gone bad on the intake side. if this is the case, at some point enough of the leaking oil will get sucked into the engine and cause it to run away, ie it will use the engine oil as fuel and you will not be able to shut it off, that is until the engine is sucked dry and it siezes. maybe if you are lucky its just a little blow-by, bad rings or a scratched bore, pushin it out the cv.

VTJC

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW, 2009, Grey
Hi, Thanks for the thoughts. Perhaps the oil is going some were else, at least I hope so. But I haven’t seen any other leaks. I am going to try and patch the Intercooler and take it from there. Is a pressure test what you would use to check rings…? I only have 55k on the motor. But it had a rough life with the previous owner.
Thanks again, Jamie

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Oil in the intercooler on a TDI is usually nothing to get worked up over. It's a result of the CCV gasses being rerouted into the intake system. The CCV system takes in not only the intake gasses, but small amounts of oil that eventually accumulate in the intercooler. You can run some kereosene or some carb cleaner through the intercooler and clean out the oil accumulation.

Do a search on "elephant hose" to find out how to prevent oil from entering the intake system on these cars.

geekIM

yes, as it was said, it could be condensate from the vent. but if you look he says he's goin through a quart every two tankfuls, and thats a LOT of oil to be traveling along with ccv gasses. he also said there are no other apparent leaks, which again would at least warrant a check of the turbo seals just in case. does it smoke a little when you start it after an overnight sit? a new turbo will set you back about $800 at the dealer, not including cleanup costs if it goes and dumps the entire engine full of oil into the intake system in one shot. plan for the worst but hope for the best...

[ May 08, 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: geekIM ]