Long cranking time, fuel pump leaking

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
Hey everyone,
I've confirmed with my TDI mechanic that my fuel pump is leaking on the high-pressure side. I can tell because the engine cranks for 3-5 seconds every time before starting, and I HAVE to park downhill or the fuel will drain back to the tank and it won't start.They've already tried replacing the cover gasket, which didn't help.
Questions are:
Is there any way to fix the leak without having the thing rebuilt? Mechanic says he only knows of 2 or 3 places in this continent who can rebuild a TDI fuel pump.
Also, is it important to get this fixed ASAP? It's an expensive job and doesn't seem too serious for now but I'm worried about the extra stress on the starter and other things that might be affected by putting it off.
Lastly, I've been dying to get RC3 for a while. Does it matter if I chip a TDI with a leaking pump or should I definitely get the pump fixed first?
Thanks for your help guys.

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
So there's no one on the east coast who can help? It's kind of a big decision to rip out my fuel pump and send it to the other side of the country. Not looking for a quick fix, just the ideal one. And I really am wondering if this is an ASAP kind of thing or if I can wait until it's leaking more seriously. I'm still getting decent fuel economy (considering the weight of my foot) so it's not leaking too much right now. Just a slow drip I imagine.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
This needs to be done soon, before the RC3, as the leak will start eating the coolant hoses, then the real fun begins. There is a procedure here on TDIClub or on vwdiesel.net that describes in detail how to change the pump head seal while in the car. It requires the patience of a surgeon and a nearly sterile field as well but it can be done by anyone. Someone else may chime in about it. I changed the seal in my IDI pump 5 years ago while out of the car successfully. Make sure a Viton(green) seal is used. I would figure any licensed Bosch repair shop could do this also. I love my RC3 but pulled it for the winter as I was experiencing too much drift drifting (sideways into snowbanks) even with snow tires. Best of luck to you.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
The green seal in the Bosch kit is not Vito. And should not be used unless the pump is removed and the seal is installed from the plunger side of the head. Even then, it is inferior to the viton seal supplied by dieselgeek.

See the leak link in my signature for seal installation.