Q7 fuel mileage?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Let me start by explaining that I am an incredible tightwad. Our long distance car for the last 17 years has been a Jetta wagon, so I am totally spoiled. BUT: I took it off the road this fall to do some body repairs, install larger intercooler, bigger nozzles, and a bunch of detail work, so we needed a winter beater - and of course it had to be a diesel. Thus, to suit hauling garden stuff, etc. into our farmyard (where the Jetta simply can't go) we got a 2014 Q7.

It was a really low mile car (62k) and very low optioned (intentional), but we actually DRIVE our vehicles, so last week's monster snow storm meant instead of flying we would drive the Audi to Chicago for a meeting (4200 km return, + 200 km local). Cruise speed averaged 130 kph (80mph) overall, and that gave me 9 l./100km (= 26 USmpg/31.2 Imperial). 4400km is enough to get a very accurate calculation.

This is a post fix car, and I will leave it alone at least for now, but I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed in the fuel use. I like to have a full day's driving without a fuel stop, and at these speeds, I have to pull over at a mere 1,100 km - when I would vastly prefer 1200++.

How does everyone else make out for highway mileage??

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
Let me start by explaining that I am an incredible tightwad. Our long distance car for the last 17 years has been a Jetta wagon, so I am totally spoiled. BUT: I took it off the road this fall to do some body repairs, install larger intercooler, bigger nozzles, and a bunch of detail work, so we needed a winter beater - and of course it had to be a diesel. Thus, to suit hauling garden stuff, etc. into our farmyard (where the Jetta simply can't go) we got a 2014 Q7.
It was a really low mile car (62k) and very low optioned (intentional), but we actually DRIVE our vehicles, so last week's monster snow storm meant instead of flying we would drive the Audi to Chicago for a meeting (4200 km return, + 200 km local). Cruise speed averaged 130 kph (80mph) overall, and that gave me 9 l./100km (= 26 USmpg/31.2 Imperial). 4400km is enough to get a very accurate calculation.
This is a post fix car, and I will leave it alone at least for now, but I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed in the fuel use. I like to have a full day's driving without a fuel stop, and at these speeds, I have to pull over at a mere 1,100 km - when I would vastly prefer 1200++.
26 mpg at 80 is about right on my post-fix '14 Q7 TDI. Wife's '14 pre-fix A8L gets just over 30 at 80, but it's pre-fix, a little lighter, lower and has less frontal and surface area, so that's not suprising.

You're basically going 2/3 as far on a gallon compared to your jetta, but the Q7 has twice the power, weighs prob 1500 lb more, tows 6500lb, seats 7 and is twice as tall and is a heck of a lot wider and longer.....

I had a 2019 Q7 3.0T service loaner. 18mpg highway. 26 isn't bad....

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
If you do not have a warranty could always look into a Tune, would cost a little bit of money, but from many posts throughout this site it seems to help bring up the mpg?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Thanks for both replies. So far, this is what I am hoping to learn: where I am post fix relative to everyone else. At least for now, I will leave this one alone (it will be one of only two unmodified vehicles in the driveway or back garage) as it has enough performance to do what it was bought for (that happens to include its tow rating). Having this thing lets me go a lot further up the HP scale with the Jetta - which once sorted out will go back to being our 2 place long distance tourer.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
We are getting winter diesel right now,,, but a mix of probably 70highway 30 city driving, I would say we were getting around 10L/100km per fill up...

Stage 2 Malone tune on a 2015 q7TDI

Our old 2011 q7 TDI got around 9.59L/100km I believe over the 1st 100,000km that we had it (2012-2015) I have not filled in my excel spreadsheet since 2015 for the last 100,000km that we drove it......

lml999

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I've gotten as much as 31 mpg at about 65 mph with a post fix '13 Q7, 120K miles on the odometer, summer driving. Averaging 28ish winter time on the highway. No complaints. :) 3-4 mpg better than our '10 Touareg TDi (pre-fix).