electronics gone wacky on 03

rob_conklin

TDI
Jetta wagon, 03', baltic green
:confused:
I haven't posted anyhting in a long time, but now I have plenty to write. So, my 03 wagon is acting strange! I lost cruise control, the AC won't work, the running lights won't shut off when I put the E-Brake on, and the E-brake light comes on when I switch the button to recurcalte the cabin air! As far as I can tell this all seems to have happened at the same time.
The only thing that I could think of that may have caused this is hooking up to a trailer that was wired incorrectly. Some of my bulbs blew, but they have been replaced. Somebody mentioned that VeeDubs only like the silver based lights. I don't imagine that is causing all of this.
I am also dealing with some major power loss. The car pulses at 2k+ RPMs or at 70mph and has no power on hills. I seem to have gotten an algae problem. I found lots of green goop in the sending unit. I am planning to clean the injectors. Changing the filter and adding Biocide wasn't enough.
Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

B.L.T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4 Jetta tdi
Possible this could be related to coolant migration? Some of these symptons sound similar. Someone correct me if im wrong as im not sure this year was effected by that

Anyways, pull your coolant sensor on the overflow tank and see if theres coolant in there, on the plug. If there is, that could be the problem to your symptoms.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bingo !!

Coolant migration has been noted even on 2004's...

That's the first place I'd look - but the wonky trailer wiring could have caused some damage as well...

Yuri.

rob_conklin

TDI
I checked for coolant migrationthis morning, but didn't find any sign of leakage. It is actually one of the cleanest parts on my car at this point. I am planning to create a drain inorder to prevent any problems in the future. I wonder if there is something that I can do with Vag-Com to fix it?

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
rob_conklin said:
I checked for coolant migrationthis morning, but didn't find any sign of leakage. It is actually one of the cleanest parts on my car at this point. I am planning to create a drain inorder to prevent any problems in the future. I wonder if there is something that I can do with Vag-Com to fix it?
Did you check the wires that hook up to the connector that plugs into the Coolant jug? With coolant migration, the coolant travels inside the wire insulation to other parts of the vehicle, ie: the dashboard, the ecm, the fuse boxes and sometimes even draining out at the tail lights! You may have to strip some of the insulation off the wires to determine if you have coolant migration. Do a search on "coolant migration" using the boolean method.
There might even be a sticky on it too.

rob_conklin

TDI
I did check in the plug for coolant migration. I didn't notice any coolant or residue of dryed coolant. Therefore I assumed that there was no migration. I will be putting a drain hole in the plug house inorder to prevent future migration. What am I to do if coolant has allready caused issuses? I have been putting my time into fixing my clogged injectors and will be dealing with the potential coolant migration in a few days. I'll keep you folks posted. Thanks thus far.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, if there was no residue, I'd say the coolant bottle's safe (for now)...

Another "entry point" for coolant is around the engine temperature sensor... (driver's side end of engine... top... towards the rear)... just check for signs of leakage...

I'd still explore the wiring - and fuse box... sometimes if fuses blow, other funny things can start happening...

Good luck !!! Troubleshooting wiring issues is no fun at all !!!!!

Yuri.