Coolant filling question?

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm working on a car for a guy that hit a deer. He destroyed his radiator so I swapped a new core with condenser and radiator in. Question is how long will it take the engine to fill with coolant it's barely taken any and temps right on at 190. It's been idling about an hour? When I did this to my old car I used my frost heater to fill it up. So it was quick and easy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
With the reservoir cap off ( let the engine cool down before removing it) and engine running, message the upper and lower radiator hoses to help burp the air pockets from the system. While your doing this keep adding coolant to the bottle until the level stabilizes.

Go for a spirited short drive and then repeat if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
190F I believe is the OE temp. The gauge on the dash is a glorified idiot light, it will read straight up when its around 150-160F.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
190F I believe is the OE temp. The gauge on the dash is a glorified idiot light, it will read straight up when its around 150-160F.
Amazing lolol alright well I got some other stuff to do first before I take it on a test drive but wanted to make sure the water pump wasn't running dry. And I will say it is slowly taking coolant just taking a while

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I always pull the lower hose where it attaches to the thermostat and fill it there. This way you can fill the whole thing and add what's needed after it cools down.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh that makes sense. Well it ended up taking the coolant I guess the thermostat ended up opening. So I'll test drive it later and check it

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The lower radiator hose should get hot once the t-stat opens.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or just drive it until it reaches temperature, then let it cool down. Do that for 5 or more cycles, and check the coolant recovery tank after cool down each time. That should do it.

Cheers,

PH