Audi/VW Armrest Question

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
One of the last few OEM+ mods I can do to my car is the "telephone" armrest which is impossible to find. I have only seen this mentioned twice ever, once in the Vortex OEM+ thread and a second time in a uk-mkivs thread on how to add the red LED. I mainly want it because of the add-on Audi LED. For those that don't know, there was a 2nd version of the MK4 armrest that had an optional cell phone holder. There's also an Audi LED kit that illuminates the interior. The armrest itself looks identical to Audi A4 armrests of the same vintage, but the mounting brackets are different.

My question is, is it possible to separate the armrest hinge halves? I have looked at it in photos, but I don't have an extra one to use for experimentation. No online tutorials seem to go this far in disassembly. It looks like the hinge is hollow and it is held together with round plastic pieces on the inside. Since it's pretty much impossible to find the actual MK4 part, I was wondering whether you could Frankenstein together Audi and VW parts.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Once upon a time when I had my gasser mkiv, the armrest was broken. You lean on it and it'd fall down. Turns out those plastic circlips slid out. Pulled them all the way out and it comes apart completely. Swapped the lower half with a wrecking yard bit and it was good to go.
So long story short, yeah they come apart. I don't know if the armrest you're referring to will mate up to it though.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't believe this. I'd been looking FOREVER, and as soon as I posted this, I finally found one on eBay!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Maybe next time you need something to appear, post about it lol happy trails!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
can you share the eBay link? Don't think I've ever seen that part before, and I'm curious.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
The link doesn't work now since I bought it, but here are the photos. They were a little fuzzy to begin with but I took some screenshots. The LED kit from an Audi that should fit it almost perfectly is: 8E0971196

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the text from the eBay listing:

1999-2005 Volkswagen Golf & Jetta (mk4 models) center armrest with articulating platform for cell phone access. This version has a sleeker profile (forward end is rounded) with a spring-loaded platform the pops up at the touch of a button.

Purchased in 2001 on German eBay as used but never mounted after purchase. A genuine European market Volkswagen part, this version was never offered for sale in the U.S.

Please note that even though the armrest is in very good condition (no damage), the rubberized "soft touch" coating on the black plastic surfaces (especially on the covers for the upright pedestal portion) has softened and started to smear off. This coating can be cleaned off and the plastic beneath is just ordinary black ABS plastic.

Armrest assembly may also fit Passats from the same model years range, although metal base piece supplied MAY only be for Golfs and Jettas. Please check photos and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for looking!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I understand, the cell phone holder can be removed and replaced with an Audi cupholder or just left empty. I am also under the impression that the side covers are the same as the stock covers, so my caps with perfect soft touch should fit fine.

However, I need to get a leather lid since this one is cloth. I believe the Audi lids should fit as well and may be easier to find than the exact VW part numbers.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
It is indeed possible to "frankenstein" an armrest using the lower mk4 braket with the audi upper armrest portion. I've made several of them and have lots of extra parts left over. I could theoretically put together a few, just don't know if many people would be interested. I think I may post some info in the classifieds or something.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for the plastic shell parts of this armrest? Mine is "sticky" and if possible, I'd rather replace the plastics rather than sand and refinish it. I don't want to take mine apart in case I damage it. It's rare enough as it is. If I were to take it apart, would I find VW or Audi part numbers? The only part numbers I currently have are for the hinge.