Hard Start?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
3 weeks ago had hard start, no codes, extended cranking and it started.

I figured an injector leaked down over night? or tandem pump problem?

Monitored the injector quantities at idle...
1 0.5
2 -0.7
3 -0.4
4 0.6

Happened that one day been OK since?

What are the injection quantities telling me?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not think your idle injector quantity has any bearing on the situation. It may have been a loss of fuel prime, tough to say. Although if it just happened once, and never again, I'd like to know if there was any circumstance change that was different than normal during that startup.

Check around for any external fuel leaks, especially at the filter thermo-tee and at the water drain.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I get the same problem. Specially when the tank is past 1/2, AND with the nose parked up to any degree.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not think your idle injector quantity has any bearing on the situation. It may have been a loss of fuel prime, tough to say. Although if it just happened once, and never again, I'd like to know if there was any circumstance change that was different than normal during that startup.
Check around for any external fuel leaks, especially at the filter thermo-tee and at the water drain.
I drove from Biloxi Miss to the Villages FL, parked the car, flat surface, no start the next day. I wait for the glow plug lite to go out, crank, and usually within a half of a revolution the car starts, its been faithful that way.

From Houston to Biloxi I did add a quart of 100% bio before fill up, I've done this before with no issue's

I will check for leaks around the filter.

Do the injection quantities I'm reading at idle look normal? I'm trying to determine if one is bad? I have no clue what the numbers represent? Why I would have + and - numbers?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
When I get in the car I anticipate a fast start so I'm quick to let go of the key, a very few times I may have been to quick and the car did not start, once this happens I have to shut the key off for a few seconds, then it takes a slight extended crank to start her, but in FL she would not start.