Wagon Hunting, Uhuuuhuuhuuhu!! Elmer Fudd Ref.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Hello All TDI'ers
I'm needing a group opinion. I run a delivery route, about 150-200 miles a day. I currently drive an '01 Subbie Outback wagon. I like the sure-footedness of the AWD, but...the fuel economy is stink-bug, avg. 25mpg mixed city/open road. Also, my youngest is almost 18 and I'd like to give her a safe, fairly reliable first car.

Sooo...I'm looking at either -

1996/97 B4 Passat wagon

2000-2004 Jetta wagon

I know the Jetta choice would be either the ALH or the BEW. The Passat is the AZ? I'm aware that the Jetta is Mexican built? and the Passat is German built. Does one of the two hold up better under regular use?

For longevity, upgradability, and DURABILITY (45K+ p. yr.), which is best choice? This will be my work(mainly), personal, play vehicle.

I intend to have the car VERY long term and am FULLY aware and willing to maintain, replace, hotrod, etc... to make it last. I will use German parts, unless the replacement is of better design and quality. I'm in Oregon, SMOG isn't a primary hurdle where I'm at and the cars listed run 4-7K to buy.

All info is appreciated. I need to make the first choice the correct one. I deliver meds and supplies to adult foster care homes and CAN NOT miss work.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Yeah, I'd kinda' thought the newer Jetta would be easier to get parts for. Is the ALH all-mechanical?

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
B4v

Hello All TDI'ers
I'm needing a group opinion. I run a delivery route, about 150-200 miles a day. I currently drive an '01 Subbie Outback wagon. I like the sure-footedness of the AWD, but...the fuel economy is stink-bug, avg. 25mpg mixed city/open road. Also, my youngest is almost 18 and I'd like to give her a safe, fairly reliable first car.
Sooo...I'm looking at either -
1996/97 B4 Passat wagon
2000-2004 Jetta wagon
I know the Jetta choice would be either the ALH or the BEW. The Passat is the AZ? I'm aware that the Jetta is Mexican built? and the Passat is German built. Does one of the two hold up better under regular use?
For longevity, upgradability, and DURABILITY (45K+ p. yr.), which is best choice? This will be my work(mainly), personal, play vehicle.
I intend to have the car VERY long term and am FULLY aware and willing to maintain, replace, hotrod, etc... to make it last. I will use German parts, unless the replacement is of better design and quality. I'm in Oregon, SMOG isn't a primary hurdle where I'm at and the cars listed run 4-7K to buy.
All info is appreciated. I need to make the first choice the correct one. I deliver meds and supplies to adult foster care homes and CAN NOT miss work.
Eugene, Craigslist and the for sale forum here on the web site.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
And the A4 Jetta wagons were still made in Germany if I recall - Jettas and Golfs were Mexico / Brazil.

I'm partial to The B4V, and still miss mine. For all of your criteria above, I would search out a MK4 Jetta wagon with the least amount of rust possible and set about bringing all of the maintenance up to date.

As an outlier, consider a B5 TDI wagon - not quite the same fuel economy, but a much more refined car with a ten-year-newer chassis and better parts availability.

Would need to find one already done, or get one cheap and convert to manual and delete the balance shaft module.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Do you want a manual or an auto? If you want an auto and a Jetta then make sure you get a 2004 or 2005 wagon. You should avoid the ALH Jetta with the 01M automatic transmission.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
A b5 is the newer Passat, the rounder one? That's an auto only car, yes? I'd be ok, with an auto, but it seems like the reliability is questionable?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

BWAAAHAHAHA!!! I appreciate that

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that most ALH Wagons you'll find are going to have north of 200K miles on them, maybe more. it's true that these cars can last if properly maintained, but at 45K/year you'll be way up there in total miles pretty quickly. And although MKIV parts are still readily available, the newest of these cars are now 13 years old and parts won't be around forever.

If i needed a reliable car for work and high mileage use I'd go for something newer, perhaps a leftover '15 or a bought back '10-14 Sportwagen. You can find a car with far fewer miles, and it includes a great emissions system warranty which includes most of the expensive engine and exhaust components.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Every choice is fraught with compromise. The newer A7 wagons are nicer, but have much more complex emission systems, as well as a track record of less-than-optimal HPFP reliability.

Every car will have plusses and minuses.

The B5 TDI wagons were only 2004 and 2005, and yes the autobox can fail, but had reasonable reliability if maintained well and was not abused.

When the auto in a B5 does fail, many of us have gone the route of converting to a manual transmission. Frans can get you a complete kit with an EU TDI 5speed for a reasonable price (less than a cost of a proper autobox reman).

riverhime

TDI
2002 Jetta wagon
I have a 2002 TDI Jetta wagon for sale in Moab, Utah. It is an automatic and only has 87k on it! Not sure if you are still looking....

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
I deliver meds and supplies to adult foster care homes and CAN NOT miss work.
If you enjoy your free time, I would absolutely stick with a Subaru wagon.
If you're looking for a time consuming hobby that regularly involves troubleshooting and servicing your delivery wagon...buy a TDI.

-Jason

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you enjoy your free time, I would absolutely stick with a Subaru wagon.
If you're looking for a time consuming hobby that regularly involves troubleshooting and servicing your delivery wagon...buy a TDI.

-Jason
With all due respect I think it's rich to use a Subaru as the pinnacle of reliability.

Having seen countless Subbies needing engine rebuilds it boggles the mind that it even made it on someone's list.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's difficult for me to judge because I've never driven any other car a fraction of the miles I've driven my ALH Wagon. But it's been my daily driver for 16 years and only quit on me once, with a bad lift pump relay. If I'd left it stock it would have been fine. And my son drives an '02 Golf with 352K on it that has had very little work done aside from routine maintenance and replacing worn components, and it is dead reliable. How is a Subaru with 350K miles on it? Or are they all rusted away to nothing by then?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Funny that you'd suggest a Subbie as that's what I'm already driving. It's an '01 Outback wagon with a N/A 2.0 JDM swap. The stock 2.5 made it go about 175K and lost the bottom end. I replaced it with another 2.5 that had new head gaskets, water pump, belts, etc. That lasted about 6k miles and lost the bottom end too and cost me about $3000. The car sat for about 18 months while I drove a Mazda5. I sucked water into the 5 going through a flooded area in a neighborhood that was much deeper than it looked and put a rod through the block. My insurance considered it flood damage so they paid the car off and I put the JDM 2.0 in my Subbie. It only gets about 26 mpg though. That ain't workin. I need 45 mpg. I'm gonna give the Subbie to my 18 year old for her first car. She won't drive much, so the fuel economy is ok and it's reliable...now it is anyway:rolleyes::)

Last edited:

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Are the B5 Passat the BEW engine? I've heard of cam and fuel pump issues with those?
I keep coming back to an '01 to '03 Jetta wagon with 5spd or a B4 Passat wagon. They seem like high milers if you use good parts, keep up on maint. and don't go crazy on hot rodding them

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
B4 Passats are pretty neat, but they have annoying failures with window regulators and door handles. Getting difficult to find good replacement parts for those two issues that actually last as well.

The seats aren't as comfortable as Mk4s either.

With all that having been said, I may have a repainted B4V going on sale soon with everything working and a rebuilt bottom end with better pistons than what the early 1Zs came with stock and a new K03 turbo. I also retrofitted Mk4 leather seats into it, although they are unfortunately not a perfect color match, they are far more comfortable though.

It also has had the shift linkage upgraded to the Mk4 style (far more precise and reliable), was originally a VR6, so it has ABS and the big brakes with 5 lug wheels (very nice upgrade for these). And I put new seals in the injection pump along with retrofitted some 11 mm mk4 pump parts into it (cam plate, pump head and plunger).

Title is on the way for it (I drove it for awhile myself, then sold it to my sister, she's moved onto something else for a dog hauler now and doesn't drive that much anyway). I also need to retrieve the cargo cover for it.

Got too many cars in my possession! I do have a mk4 Jetta wagon I may be selling eventually too, but I need to do the manual swap onto my B5 before I let that one go. Plus I want to put a fresh belt and nicer to operate clutch in it. Not a fan of the Valeo unit that it currently has.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Are the B5 Passat the BEW engine? I've heard of cam and fuel pump issues with those?
I keep coming back to an '01 to '03 Jetta wagon with 5spd or a B4 Passat wagon. They seem like high milers if you use good parts, keep up on maint. and don't go crazy on hot rodding them
B5 Passats have the BHW. It basically a 2.0L version of the BEW. Those were only available with an Auto and have a problematic balance shaft module.