coming to TDI from the Subaru crowd :)

v8eaterWRX

TDI
2005 WRX VF22/EWG FTW
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. Seems I will be coming to the TDI crowd in the near future. Starting to de-mod my car for trade in after my tax returns (I file in January :) )

Probably just lurk around here reading and getting info for now. Plan on snagging an 09 Jetta TDI if I buy new, or maybe save a few bucks and grab an 06 instead. Just looking around for info on reliability, and for later performance modification.

Going to be a big change im sure coming from a 300whp all wheel drive toy to a torque monster, but its time for a little comfort :D

Anyway, just wanted to say hello :p

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
As one who recently came over from the Dark Side hisself (see my sig), welcome, v8!

When I lived in Pennsylvania I absolutely loved that good ole Subaru AWD...it saved my bacon on many a bitter winter's day when all around me were carreening into ditches and snow drifts and over embankments...sure-footed as a mountain goat. Had I remained in PA it would have been hard for me to give up AWD...maybe impossible...since I rank 'staying alive' a much higher priority than 'great fuel economy' or 'having fun'. But, having moved to NC two years ago, I felt willing to move on (if we get an inch of snow all winter its a big freakin' deal). And I'm glad I did. The '09 TDI is a hoot tuh shoot, on top of which you get to have a warm fuzzy do-gooder feeling.

One word of caution, though: another great Subaru feature is its fantastic ground clearance, achieved without sacrificing a good low center of gravity. Not so the '09 Jetta, whose extremely low ground clearance I still find a little spooky. If you drive over a poker card, make sure its no higher than a jack! This takes some gettin' used to after driving a Subaru. I haven't yet destroyed my nose spoiler on a parking bumper, but it seems inevitable....

v8eaterWRX

TDI
2005 WRX VF22/EWG FTW
lol I have no ground clearance. the v-limited lip on there sits about 1.5" from the ground.

my subaru is a tarmac queen :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I want to see pics of your Subbie. :D

Welcome to the diesel family! ;) We're all a bunch of weirdos.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Welcome , you'll be surprised once you start moding ,and see the differences it makes with these little diesels .

If you get a chance go on youtube and look for the little Lupo 1.9 TDI smoking Corvettes , Porsche's, and I think I even saw it racing a WRX .

Just to give you a good idea the kind of torque you can get out of the 1.9 - 4 cylinder .

Oh I forgot your ready to settle down you won't be doing any mods HEHE!:D

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
v8eaterWRX said:
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. Seems I will be coming to the TDI crowd in the near future. Starting to de-mod my car for trade in after my tax returns (I file in January :) )

Probably just lurk around here reading and getting info for now. Plan on snagging an 09 Jetta TDI if I buy new, or maybe save a few bucks and grab an 06 instead. Just looking around for info on reliability, and for later performance modification.

Going to be a big change im sure coming from a 300whp all wheel drive toy to a torque monster, but its time for a little comfort :D

Anyway, just wanted to say hello :p
You can look into lift kits and a metal skid plate (several options) for starters to ease the transition.
If you plan on driving in snow/ice, consider a TDI with ESP/ASR and put the best snow tires on that money can buy (Nokian).

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Not to mention we have a brain compared to a few of the subbie forums....Tried finding info there a few times for working ona friends car...yikes...

You'll like the TDI.

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Welcome to the forum! Wow dude I was in your same shoes about a year ago. I had a 91 subaru legacy as my first car moved up to a 02 Wrx had that for a year and bought an 04 Sti, modded that up somthing stupid crazy to about 535 Whp, talk about crazy fast and fun...man I miss these days. However after Katrina hit and gas prices went NUTS I just couldnt put up with paying for 93 and ethonal for the injection. So I bought a few diesels a couple 81 rabbit pick ups, an 89 diesel jetta, then a 2000 tdi. Love the Tdi but its no where near has fun as a WRX or Sti. You are going to feel a huge power withdrawl for a long time but in the long run its worth it...on your wallet but not your fun meter. I converted my truck and tdi to run off used veg oil so I pay about 1/10th of what I spent fueling up the Sti for a year. Anyway good luck with what ever you deside to do, I always said ill buy another Sti down the road...I sure to miss that Boxer sound!

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
v8eaterWRX said:
Going to be a big change I'm sure coming from a 300whp all wheel drive toy to a torque monster
Hey Man,

Welcome,

My 1st car was a subbie: 1982 poop brown, in fact, it's still sitting in my back yard right now..... (if you twist my arm I'll go take pics of her) that car put up with my 16 year old ass an then some.... still runs, my dad loves subbies and so do I...

FYI in case you haven't heard.... you might be able to have the best of both worlds & I am anxiously awaiting these:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0801_subaru_boxer_turbodiesel_first_drive/index.html

Oh ya!!

This is the best excuse I can think of to make sure my boss really does obtain an AWD dyno ;)

Last edited:

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
none but getting a 09 soon (i relly want a 06 though!)
i would definently buy a subbie legacy diesel awd
still would get 30/40 mpg or so
id like to see a baja diesel!

2K3GOLFTDI

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (80k)
Welcome v8.
I had an '02 WRX Wagon that was all too modded. Honestly, for about 2 yrs I missed my rex - was incredibly fun to drive and i could plow my way home in the snow without issue. Alas, gas prices and a lead foot forced my change (not by speeding tickets...more about me driving like an a$$) - and its paid back hugely.

The VW interior is good - although the WRX seats were just as, if not better, than what's in the Golf. The ride is better (IMO) - we drove our WRX to northern VT and after a while it wasn't that comfortable. Couple years back we drove the TDI to Williamsburg VA (from Boston) and it was a cakewalk.

The TDI mileage is addicting as hell. The forums here will teach you as much as, if not more than, you got from the N. American Suburu Owners forum.

Good luck on your entry into the dark side... :)

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
DoctorDawg said:
As one who recently came over from the Dark Side hisself (see my sig), welcome, v8!

When I lived in Pennsylvania I absolutely loved that good ole Subaru AWD...it saved my bacon on many a bitter winter's day when all around me were carreening into ditches and snow drifts and over embankments...sure-footed as a mountain goat. Had I remained in PA it would have been hard for me to give up AWD...maybe impossible...since I rank 'staying alive' a much higher priority than 'great fuel economy' or 'having fun'. But, having moved to NC two years ago, I felt willing to move on (if we get an inch of snow all winter its a big freakin' deal). And I'm glad I did. The '09 TDI is a hoot tuh shoot, on top of which you get to have a warm fuzzy do-gooder feeling.

One word of caution, though: another great Subaru feature is its fantastic ground clearance, achieved without sacrificing a good low center of gravity. Not so the '09 Jetta, whose extremely low ground clearance I still find a little spooky. If you drive over a poker card, make sure its no higher than a jack! This takes some gettin' used to after driving a Subaru. I haven't yet destroyed my nose spoiler on a parking bumper, but it seems inevitable....
You would be surprised how well you can do with a set of Nokian studs on all 4 wheels on a front or rear wheel drive car. Even better is skinny Nokian Studs on skinny wheels such as you would find on an original beetle.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I prefer FWD with proper snow tires than AWD with all seasons... That's how much of a difference the tires make. Plus with FWD it's a whole lot more difficult to get sideways (not impossible...).

You give it a little throttle in a corner in slippery conditions it will understeer. Ease off the throttle and it'll turn again, no problem. With AWD you will get oversteer, which to me is fun, but a lot of people don't know how to properly control a vehicle in this situation. So to the less experienced at car control, the FWD is easier/safer to control.

Then you have idiots like me who will go way too fast into a corner and then use the parking brake to help it along when it won't turn good enough anymore... ;)

I actually enjoy snow driving with my Jetta (with the proper tires, anyway).

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
09tdiman said:
i would definently buy a subbie legacy diesel awd
still would get 30/40 mpg or so
id like to see a baja diesel!
So long as it doesn't have the 4,000 mile service interval the petrol scoobies have. What is that about? Cheap oil? Or a money earner for the dealers?

jasoneon

TDI
04 Passat TDI
What you're about to do sounds like what I did a week ago. I had an 04 WRX Wagon with a VF-39 turbo, STi intercooler, STi pinks, intake, 3" exhaust, yada yada yada and traded it for an 04 Passat TDI. I'm not sure what year WRX you had, but if you had the 2.0 liter one like I did, then you know how gutless it was before 3,000 rpm or so. This car feels like a damn Peterbuilt compared to the WRX as far as torque goes. Of course the WRX would kill it in a drag race but in normal driving the TDI *feels* a lot more powerful than my WRX did. So far I don't regret my decision in the least. I missed the WRX for a couple of days, and I still miss the 7,200 rpm blasts a little bit, but overall I'm much happier driving this torque monster. Also, I'm averaging about 33mpg so far with 90% city driving, which is 10 more than I averaged in the WRX. It's been a nice change so far and I think I'll continue to like this car for a long time.

Jason

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Before the NB, I had a Suby Impreza... LOVED that car, hated the head gasket that failed at 150K miles....

Waiting for the Suby diesel AWD I have been hearing about.. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm