03 tdi will not crank over and there is a hum coming from the passenger side engine c

DSLTOO

TDI
03 5 speed tdi sedan 6 speed, 03 tdi wagon automatic
Hello, I would like to ask for some help diagnosing. My sons tdi Decided not to start this morning. We tried battery jump starting it with no results, cleaned the battery cables, replaced the battery and no result. We did however get it to pull start with another vehicle.

It will not turn over when you turn the key to start it . Instead there is a instant alarm, or buzz sounding coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment by the firewall the best I can tell. We pulled fuses till we found the one that was powering the buzzing sound and it it fuse 34.

Has anyone else come across this and found a fix?

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
By crank over do you mean the engine will not start and run, or the Starter is not turning the engine? If it is the former the ASV could be stuck closed starving the engine of oxygen causing the engine to turn over but not start. If the Later it is possible the starter is shorted out internally that would be why it would start when pull started.... Remove the starter and have it tested in this case.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Inspect the short braided wire that leads from the starter to the solenoid, it’s about 2 inches long. With a multimeter see if you have 12v on the smaller trigger wire when you turn the key. It’s the smaller wire that connects right beside the thicker braided one.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Might give you some direction:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348308

Check fuses on top of battery. As always, check grounds.

Really need a DMM (digital multi meter) to assess electrical issues. Need to determine whether you really have sufficient voltage and amps; starters draw a lot of power, along with glow plugs.

The starter not spinning (no solenoid click?) tells that there's insufficient power to the starter. Battery. Cables. Or the solenoid wire on the starter:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405425

OR... an obstruction within the engine. Pray that this isn't the case. Not unusual for a kid to recall having thrashed an engine, thereby leaving a parent scratching his/her head as to why the car all of a sudden doesn't want to start...

I'd first want to pop off the top of the timing belt cover to make sure there's nothing funny happening there. For future reference, it's best to start here lest you compound problems: forcing the car to fire up before investigating things can result in further damage.

DSLTOO

TDI
It runs fine one pull started with another vehicle so I do not think it’s an obstruction. I will check the voltage on that wire. Any idea dear why the buzzing sound?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I have heard my N75 solenoid buzz while the engine is running so it may be that
one of the solenoid mounts has been compromised or has loosened.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Do yourself and others a favor. take a video, hood open, while someone is cranking, and post it on Youtube so we can hear this sound.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Quantity Adjuster will make a high pitched whine as it goes through it's range sweep at ignition ON. This is a sound that most won't even notice unless one is being really sensitive.

DSLTOO

TDI
Update: we replaced the starter and it now starts. The buzzing sound is still concerning though.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Does the buzzing stop id the air conditioning is turned off? Does the buzzing sound a horn at times? If so it could be the expansion valve in the A/C.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
I have had a horn like sound from the passenger side firewall on a 2000 Jetta and a 2002 Beetle. Both were caused by bad A/C parts-specifically chinesium expansion valves.

Last edited: