Backup Lights not working

wirelessjuan

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with my back up lights not working.

I've checked the bulbs and they are working fine. I also seached this forum for solutions but my wires seem to be fine as well. (no cuts or worn wires)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=173862&highlight=Backup+Lights+-working

I'm not sure what direction to go.

2000 Tdi (manual 5 speed)
241,000 miles

I did have the brake light switch replaced under the recall and also had the hazard switch replaced under the recall as well.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
On the A2 (as in my old 1987 Jetta), there was an electrical switch on the transmission that controlled these lights.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The reverse switch is probably bad. Disconnect the wires and put a paperclip on the leads to make the lights go on (key ON in reverse). If they work, replace the switch. It's about $13 at Napa, but you have to remove the battery and tray to reach the other bolt (!). Make sure you don't pinch the wires when you replace the switch.

The switch is pretty obvious if you didn't already find it. Just look at the left edge of the battery, and it's the black can near the shifter rods.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Had the same problem with my '02 NB. A battery leak had corroded wires by a relay below the battery. You are in the neighborhood, check for eaten-up wires. I didnt find this, my tech sorted it out when the TB was done.

wirelessjuan

Thanks for the heads up! I have had the battery replaced several times since I've had the car over 5 years now. I'll pull it out this weekend and see if that does the trick.

wirelessjuan

Well I pulled the switch today and it is malfunctioning. None of the local parts stores have them so it's off to the SEALERSHIP on Monday.

Thanks for the help!

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
Similar problem here...
I just found that one wire, from the connector which goes on the sensor, is cut flush (from corrosion)

Is there a connector repair kit or something like that ??
Like a connector with 2 wires which you just have to cut and weld onto your existing wires?

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
Ok here's the results for those who will have my problem

You can buy a new connector wired at the dealer
To simplify future searches here are the P/Ns
1J0 973 702 - Housing (1 needed)
000 979 131A - Wires (1 needed)
3B0 972 742B - Rubber (2 needed)

All that cost me around 15$

Now I just have to cut the old one and weld the new wires

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Ok here's the results for those who will have my problem

You can buy a new connector wired at the dealer
To simplify future searches here are the P/Ns
1J0 973 702 - Housing (1 needed)
000 979 131A - Wires (1 needed)
3B0 972 742B - Rubber (2 needed)

All that cost me around 15$

Now I just have to cut the old one and weld the new wires

I need the connector w/ wires on it (one wire is currently severed & switch is fine); so which of the above part numbers should I quote? ie, I assume it's one piece (the connector & wires attached to it). I'm just confused by the 3 PN's & terms above...

And, I assume I just twist the wires together and tape w/ electrical tape?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon

000 979 131 A

1J0 973 702

3B0 972 742 B

Wires, connector shell, and grommets are sold separately.

If you're cheap and careful, it's possible to remove the pins from the shell, solder new wires on, and reassemble - thus avoiding a trip to the $tealership.

I prefer solder and heatshrink tubing to connect the new or repaired connector assembly to the car wiring harness, but twist'n'tape will work.

Simon