Oil pressure, limp mode

1100russ

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi guys. New member. Been lurking and searching for about 2 weeks. Came across an 05 (.5, BRM motor) for 400 bucks. Nice car, 268k miles(nothing for a diesel my friends tell me lol), had check eng light on but ran (runs) great. Drove it home (50 miles) no issues. I go over it, check codes (more on this later), do some stuff (bulbs, quart of oil) and drive it to work the next day. No issues on way (35 miles). Drive it home and about halfway home oil pressure warning (glow plug light, stop engine) comes on. I pull over, think to myself it's a 400 dollar car *** and fire it back up. Runs fine. Commence to finish my drive home. Right before I pull in my drive way oil pressure warning again. Ok, I'll do some research and change the oil. Ordered a kit from id parts and start searching. Haven't been able to find much more than references to "the dreaded oil pressure warning". Changed oil (got the Pentosin) does it almost immediately now. I say almost because I have to start driving it before it happens. I can't get it to give me the warning in the garage sitting still. Idle, revving the **** out of it, it won't happen sitting still. During my searches I saw a post about the sensor leaking by so I order one from Rockauto (Airtex/Wells, no VW available). Install it and same. If I had a 10mm adapter I would hook up a mechanical gauge to check it. I know this is my next move but I'm hoping someone has an idea what's up with this thing. Runs like a top (until limp mode). No strange noises other than being a diesel lol. Not real experienced with diesels.

Codes are P-0726 (eng speed sensor), P-2564 (turbo control) and 183 (fuel temp circuit). I think these are wiring issue codes? I know the 183 is because the wires are broke off flush with the sensor connector.

Could this be a wiring issue? Hoping this motor doesn't need main bearings. Not sure I want to dig that deep. Thanks for any help.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Seems to me you may have a bad sensor and or brittle woring. If you truly had no oil pressure your engine would be seized in minutes. However, to properly rule out a oil pressure issue i would hook up a mechanical gauge con cinfirm actual pressure .